• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id of dunlin subspecies (1 Viewer)

breffni

Hi folks, Is it possible to seperate the three sub-species of Dunlin regularly occuring in Britain/Ireland: schinzii, alpina and arctica? And if so does anybody know of a web site that covers this, hopefully with photos? Also of particular interest, is it possible to distinguish hudsonia and pacifica, especially as it seems that hudsonia is significantly different (by dna hybridisation) from all other sub-species? Thanks!

Thanks - great site! Apparently hudsonian can be distinguished from alpina in the field (?) but are there any accepted records i wonder? Attached a pic of a hudsonia in november, apparently still moulting into winter plumage. However my understanding was that hudsonia should complete its moult earlier than alpina?

Attachments

• dunlin american.jpg
    dunlin american.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 289
Hi folks,

Out of interest, can the East Siberian race Sakhalina be distinguished from hudsonia ? See attached photographed in Eastern China in early November last year

Attachments

• Dunlin.sakhalina-3003.jpg
    Dunlin.sakhalina-3003.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Dunlin.Sakhalina-3032.jpg
    Dunlin.Sakhalina-3032.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 140
Hi folks,

Out of interest, can the East Siberian race Sakhalina be distinguished from hudsonia ? See attached photographed in Eastern China in early November last year
From what i can make out (using google) there is considerable overlap across the board, however...

- the biggest and longest billed is hudsonia
- in breeding plumage hudsonia is the warmest rufous
- in winter hudsonia has the darkest mantle and darkest - - lores and a tight breast band
- hudsonia should moult before alpina (can anybody clarify the moult question?)

To seperate hudsonia and sakhalina might be possible in summer due to the difference in warmth of the rufous mantle, in winter looks tough...

To seperate hudsonia and sakhalina might be possible in summer due to the difference in warmth of the rufous mantle, in winter looks tough...

That's kinda what I thought too!

Hi Breffni,
I have had discussions about Dunlin racial ID, and it seems that some alpina (a taxon known to occur in Ireland) can match hudsonia or sakhalina/'centralis' in terms of upperparts colouration, and some may even be similar to those taxa in terms of structure also...
Attached are some pics that I got at Ballycotton a few weeks back of an apparent alpina.
Regards,
Harry

Attachments

• poss ad type alpina Dunlin Ballycotton 3rd August 2008_1.jpg
    poss ad type alpina Dunlin Ballycotton 3rd August 2008_1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 282
  • poss ad type alpina Dunlin Ballycotton 3rd August 2008_2.jpg
    poss ad type alpina Dunlin Ballycotton 3rd August 2008_2.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 133
  • poss ad type alpina Dunlin Ballycotton 3rd August 2008_3.jpg
    poss ad type alpina Dunlin Ballycotton 3rd August 2008_3.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 167
  • poss ad type alpina Dunlin Ballycotton 3rd August 2008_4.jpg
    poss ad type alpina Dunlin Ballycotton 3rd August 2008_4.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 149
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back