• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

350d or the 20d - which to upgrade to? (1 Viewer)

breggie

Hi there
I know most people like me who upgrade from the 300d are likely to go for the 20d but given the price of the 350d currently (£280 less that the 20d on Warehouse Express) I think it might be worth considering the 350d

My biggest let downs with the 300 was the lack of AI Servo, small buffer and low resolution.

The 350d is 8mp and HAS AI Servo (same as 20d) so looks similar in these respects. I know there is a difference of 2 shots per second compared to the 20d but other than this can anyone say from experience what the main differences, which really matter, are?

Any useful comments appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

I changed for a 300D to a 350D last year and have not looked back since. The 350D is so much better than the 300D, for the reasons you've suggested and also the speed with which it turns on/wakes up. I'd missed shots in the past because the 300D was so slow to wake up, this hasn't happened with the 350D. I also found the buffer on the 300D far to small, but the 350D is much better, I never been left waiting for the camera. The 5fps of the 20 does sound nice, but I've never found the 3fps of the 350D to be a problem.

The biggest difference would be the handling of the cameras, the 20D is much chunkier and more solid, if you're happy with a smaller lighter body the 350D is a great option. I am currently considering getting a second body, if I do I will definitely buy another 350D. It's a great camera and personally I'm not convinced that the 20D is worth the extra £280.

Hello Breggie!
I am thinking of upgrading from a compact (3MP) to either the EOS20D or 350D. Have a look at the thread from Graham Catley, March 7th.

Al.

Nice one thanks for that, very useful.
I have handled the 20d and although I did like the feel of it but I think I could easily live with the 350d if it was the same sort as the 300d but with the extra features.

Would you say it feels more like the 300d in terms of size/weight?

Thanks
Brian

As the 20D has been superceded by the 30D I would see what happens to the prices of the 20D - there could be some real bargains out there if shops can't shift them at the regular price.

breggie said:
Would you say it feels more like the 300d in terms of size/weight?

No - it's much smaller and lighter than the 300D - make sure you try one in the hand before you buy one.

breggie said:
Hi there
I know most people like me who upgrade from the 300d are likely to go for the 20d but given the price of the 350d currently (£280 less that the 20d on Warehouse Express) I think it might be worth considering the 350d

My biggest let downs with the 300 was the lack of AI Servo, small buffer and low resolution.

The 350d is 8mp and HAS AI Servo (same as 20d) so looks similar in these respects. I know there is a difference of 2 shots per second compared to the 20d but other than this can anyone say from experience what the main differences, which really matter, are?

Any useful comments appreciated.

Thanks
Brian[/QUOTE

I bought a 350D last summer, and have been totaly satisfied with it. I looked at the 20D and considered it really had nothing much to offer for the extra money. Much better to spend that extra on a good lens. (Remember at the time of the 300D, the 20D was a far superior camera).I believe Canon have brought out the 30D to widen the difference between the 350D, which the 20D didn't have.

I suggest you go to a dealer and play around with a 350D and a 30D. Forget the 20D which is now obsolete, and even if reduced in price will still cost more than a 350D.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back