• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Zeiss deals in Europe (1 Viewer)

SzimiStyle

The Shorebird Addict
Hi, I'm considering buying a pair of new Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 binos but struggling to find the best deals in Europe. Any recommendations of where to look within the European Union? Should I wait until the British BirdFair for better deals?

If you're planning a trip anyway I'd wait for BF. I bought my SF10x42 there last year at a good price. You'll also be able to compare it with all the competition.

Uttings usually offer discounts over BF weekend. In the past its been as much as £250 on optics over £1500.

Great binocular by the way.

Good luck!

Alan

I agree with Alan. Bird Fair is a great place to find a good deal and you can try out the actual unit you plan to buy.

Lee

Great binocular by the way.
Alan

Thanks for the tips. I tried almost all of them, but not side by side. I'm hesitant between the Leica Noctivid and Zeiss Victory SF. I read some posts today and it seems the Noctivid is a bit behind in user preference. The SF looks amazing although I find it a bit long (large). It might sound stupid. :)

The Zeiss stand at Bird Fair is only a few metres away from the Leica stand so although you can't try SF and Noctivid literally side-by-side it is almost like that.

Noctivid has a very pleasant view but so does SF and its fov and handling are unbeatable IMHO, but try them both several times at Bird Fair.

Lee

The Zeiss stand at Bird Fair is only a few metres away from the Leica stand so although you can't try SF and Noctivid literally side-by-side it is almost like that.

Noctivid has a very pleasant view but so does SF and its fov and handling are unbeatable IMHO, but try them both several times at Bird Fair.

Lee

Any other options at this level under £2,000?

I never know exactly what is meant by the term " Best Deals." If people stated " The Cheapest" then that would be far more clearer, would it not?

To me a deal is talking with someone, checking out the specifications and then trying out the product ....... finally paying for it because you received excellent service and know that in the event of a problem you can expect a helpful solution to fix it, without any hassle. Worth paying a bit more in my opinion.

Also, prices generally go up over the course of the year. Imperative that you try before you buy so yes, Birdfair to test these out, that's why the major brands have a stand there.

In previous years Viking were offering good prices on many brands from their sales counter in the Optics Marquee (thats the one with Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, Kowa and Swaro in it), and they often have used traded-in binos for sale too.

Lee

Last edited:
I never know exactly what is meant by the term " Best Deals." If people stated " The Cheapest" then that would be far more clearer, would it not?

To me a deal is talking with someone, checking out the specifications and then trying out the product ....... finally paying for it because you received excellent service and know that in the event of a problem you can expect a helpful solution to fix it, without any hassle. Worth paying a bit more in my opinion.

Also, prices generally go up over the course of the year. Imperative that you try before you buy so yes, Birdfair to test these out, that's why the major brands have a stand there.

If 'cheapest prices' was all that folks meant by 'best deals' then absolutley, 'cheapest prices' would be clearer.

But there can be other aspects to the transaction as you point out and one of them might be a trade-in price for a bino they want to swap and maybe an aftermarket carry case and'or cleaning kit are sought too. At which point 'deal' seems to be a reasonable term.

Lee

The way the value of the pound is dropping I would consider buying sooner than later. I notice that Zeiss are offering up to £250 off, on some of their models according to recent adverts, I think in Birdwatch magazine.

If 'cheapest prices' was all that folks meant by 'best deals' then absolutley, 'cheapest prices' would be clearer.

But there can be other aspects to the transaction as you point out and one of them might be a trade-in price for a bino they want to swap and maybe an aftermarket carry case and'or cleaning kit are sought too. At which point 'deal' seems to be a reasonable term.

Lee

Doubt it Lee, how can you trade in a bino if it's from an internet dealer say in Eire or Holland? Hope you have a good BirdFair.

P

In previous years Viking were offering good prices on many brands from their sales counter in Marquee One (thats the one with Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, Kowa and Swaro in it), and they often have used traded-in binos for sale too.

Lee

Lee. It’s actually the Optics Marquee, not Marquee 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way the value of the pound is dropping I would consider buying sooner than later. I notice that Zeiss are offering up to £250 off, on some of their models according to recent adverts, I think in Birdwatch magazine.

It would be interesting to know what prices are like at the Bird Fair for the SF’s 10x and 8x.

Thanks in anticipation;-))

Prices have come down a little in the last few weeks. Best price (as far as I can see) currently at Cley Spy £1728. Not sure if that's better or worse than at Birdfair.

Prices have come down a little in the last few weeks. Best price (as far as I can see) currently at Cley Spy £1728. Not sure if that's better or worse than at Birdfair.

Sorry it's a bit late: Cley Spy told me that the above price for the SF 10x42 was set when they found out that was what Zeiss were selling them for at Birdfair.

I know because I bought one from them whilst on holiday in Norfolk last week :)

Part-exchanged my Conquest HD (which I'd also bought from them). I found the ease-of-use improvements, balance, eyecups etc more obviously better; my aged eyes had a harder time finding definitive visual improvements. The Conquest are very good.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back