• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Ospreys (1 Viewer)

Hi Folks,

It is wonderful news, first chick hatched at 4.55 this morning, further update will be posted tonight.

Congratulations to E J well done girl and Henry who is already bringing in the fish.

Whoopee.

Ann :D :D :D :flowers: B :) :egghead:
Osprey Fanatic

Here is the first photo, shame its not very clear, a proud mum and dad looking at the youngster.

Attachments

• chicks.jpg
    chicks.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 114
Thanks Christine,

I don't know if if it is a new camera or they have changed the angle (or my new monitor) but the pictures seem lighter and not as clear as last year's if that makes sense.

The evening update promised hasn't appeared yet, I guess that will be their last job of the evening.

Ann

going up there in the morning where is the best place to view him fishing at loch side??

Go to the Rothiemurchus Fish Farm on the ski road - about 1mile from Aviemore town centre. There are a couple of hides. Look out for the massive delays caused by the roadworks at the ski rd junction.

The ospreys (to my knowledge) never fish in Loch Garten. The fish aren't tasty enough;)

Paul

He doesn't fish in Loch Garten - try the fish farm in Aviemore after 5.00pm

Sandra
:t:

Good advice Sandra.You shall have more chance of seeing them fish,after 5pm.They also "fish the farm" early in the morning but viewing would have to be done,from outside the farm and it would be restricted.It is daylight up here,well before 4am and the birds are fishing,from first light.Good luck.

Good advice Sandra.You shall have more chance of seeing them fish,after 5pm.They also "fish the farm" early in the morning but viewing would have to be done,from outside the farm and it would be restricted.It is daylight up here,well before 4am and the birds are fishing,from first light.Good luck.

I'm told by friends in the area that good views can be had of osprey from the platform of the railway station! And no charge!

S

Aww! that is so sad I was just going to post a photo I just downloaded of the two birds standing away from the nest to show the two eggs and chick.:-C :-C

Last edited:
Hi,

That is awfully sad news, I seem to remember Henry being caught up in fishing line or plastic string some years ago and he was hanging upside down from the nest but he managed to free himself after a struggle. I wish people would be more careful with line of any kind around any bodies of water, so many birds are killed or injured by the stuff every year.

Christine, I would still like to see your photo if you post it in a couple of days, poor Henry and E J nothing seems to be going right for them again I hope the weather isn't too bad up there (all this wind and rain) and the other two eggs hatch.

Ann

I am really worried about that fishing line - is it still in the nest? I have just been watching a video on UTubes of an osprey chick in Connecticut being rescued from a piece of bubble wrap that had got wrapped round it. Will RSPB intervene if necessary? I hope so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQunkihb-3Q

Btw Ann, I am also Anne - an osprey fanatic from near Blackburn. I was down at Brockholes Quarry today to hear LWT's development plans for the site. As they regularly see Ospreys going north, they are going to make one of the lakes a fishing lake - - - -cant wait!

New Chick

The 2d of the eggs hatched last night.Lets hope that fortune smiles on all at Loch Garten,between now and the end of August.After the rollercoaster ride EJ and Henry have been on this year,they deserve a bit of luck.B :)

The 2d of the eggs hatched last night.Lets hope that fortune smiles on all at Loch Garten,between now and the end of August.After the rollercoaster ride EJ and Henry have been on this year,they deserve a bit of luck.B :)

Great news. I just saw Henry sitting in a tree looking pleased with himself.

Hi Anne,

Thanks that is great news I have heard of Brockholes Quarry, isn't that where there are Sand Martin nests?

Oh to have Ospreys as near as that would be wonderful, please keep us posted.

Ann
Osprey Fanatic :D :D

Thanks Ben,

That is wonderful news, mother nature stepping in to replace the first chick so quick, no time to mourn there is another chick to feed and please Henry don't stand on this one.

Ann

Hmmm... not sure whether this is good news or not. The first egg hatched after 34 days, this one after just 33 days. Both of these are a bit less than the usual quoted incubation period (the Loch Garten blog quoted 36-42 days, but it seems to vary depending who you ask).

I just worry that as a consequence of the second clutch, the eggs and chicks are maybe a bit fragile (calcium deficient, perhaps?) and are hatching prematurely and therefore more vulnerable. Hopefully, I'm just being pessimistic, but even so, I would rather have seen it hatch later this week after a nice average 37 day incubation period.

At least the rain and wind,that we have had over the past few days,is showing signs of clearing.If any pair of birds in the UK deserve success,it is these two at Loch Garten.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back