• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (3 Viewers)

On Saturday evening, the Woodcock flew over at 18:14. I didn't try for it yesterday evening.

Good views of a Water Rail at Mildenham on Saturday morning.

Male and female Tawny Owls calling from Gorsey Bank area on Friday and Saturday evening.

Other species encountered over the weekend included singing Blackcap near Hawford and another male near Salwarpe, Yellowhammers near Knight's Grove, Skylarks, a few Meadow Pipits, Goldcrests, Buzzards, Kestrels, Grey Herons, Cormorant, Canada Geese, Coot, Sparrowhawk, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, winter Thrushes, etc.

Last edited:
Woodcock on the deck in Gorsey Bank area of Droitwich woods near stream culvert by canal but then moved out of view - possibly flew.

Quite a productive afternoon session:

A single Lapwing in the sloping pasture below High Park.
A Peregrine flew from a pylon over towards Harford Hill.
A Water Rail showed well along the canal near Salwarpe.
Several Goldcrests showing well.

few pics from today. Swan had a different ring not easy to see any numbers.Enjoyable walk with lots out there,good to see that the small birds are surviving this weather.

Attachments

• IMG_6221 (2).JPG
    IMG_6221 (2).JPG
    384 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6225.JPG
    IMG_6225.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6218 (2).JPG
    IMG_6218 (2).JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 58
Hi Tim,

The right hand gull in your photo looks like an adult winter Common - apparently there were 8 Common Gulls in the Westwood roost this evening plus Little Gull and 2 Kittiwakes - worth keeping an eye out tomorrow!

Further species noted over the weekend included:

Snipe flew from Coney at dusk yesterday, male Blackcap feeding on mistletoe berries near Salwarpe, Yellowhammer over Harford Hill, Reed Buntings, 20+ flock of linnets near Ladywood, both the usual Woodpeckers, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, Stock Doves, Redwings and Fieldfares, Mistle and Song Thrushes, Ravens, Pied Wagtails, House Sparrows, c 400 Starlings in the roost, Grey Herons, Moorhens

Margaret and I nearly got stuck in snow drift -egg lane yesterday

Hello,
I am a new member just joined although we have been regular bird watchers on the canal for many years,it was around 2010 having a dog with epilepsy and we liked the quietness around 20 visits during 2018 seen kingfisher
Working egg lane pound last week
We also like Severn valley around bewdley,will post again when I can
Regards Bill,Margaret

Hello,
I am a new member just joined although we have been regular bird watchers on the canal for many years,it was around 2010 having a dog with epilepsy and we liked the quietness around 20 visits during 2018 seen kingfisher
Regards Bill,Margaret

Welcome to the forum - I look forward to reading about your sightings.

Hello,
Regards Bill,Margaret

Welcome to birdforum Bill and Margaret. From what Dave (Woodchat) reports, the SW Droitwich area is brim full of quality birds, so glad to hear someone else is out there enjoying them. :t:

Talking of quality birds - just had a pair of Goosanders flying over just west of Salwarpe. The first drake I've ever seen here. :t:

2 Greylags over also at 10:30.

Last edited:
enjoyable evening started out as a frog hunt, just sitting on the canal bench we saw 500+ starlings dancing in the until a large Peregrine turned up to try its luck sending them in all directions. 100's of gulls flying over to roost manly LBBGs. Pheasants flying over the canal.Water rail called from Coney ,finally Skylark singing. Strange though no frogs.

A very good weekend on the patch:

A female Brambling was in a mixed flock of Chaffinches and Redwings in a horse paddock opposite Woodbury Cottage yesterday morning, between Harford Hill and Tapenhall.

A female-type Stonechat was feeding and perching on reeds and fences around Tapenhall pool yesterday morning.

Two 2w Common Gulls over Coney Meadow yesterday afternoon.

A little Owl was perched in its usual tree in Linacres paddocks on Saturday.

9 Redpolls in alders near Linacres paddocks, a couple over Tapenhall on Saturday and one near Ladywood yesterday.

Siskin near Salwarpe on Friday.

Water Rails at Tapenhall pool, along the canal at Tapenhall and 2 around Hawford.

Several Snipe flew from Coney yesterday evening.

30+ Meadow Pipits over Coney yesterday evening plus a few elsewhere.

Male Grey Wagtail displaying to female - head pointing straight up and fluttering its wings.

Yellowhammers, Skylarks, Kestrels, Treecreepers, Nuthatches, Coal Tits, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, Fieldfares, Linnets, Kingfishers, Stock Doves, Cormorants, Grey Herons, Green and Great Spot Woodpeckers, Canada Geese, Bullfinches, etc.

For some reason I couldn't access / post on Bird forum from my phone yesterday.

Two more Chiffchaffs singing around Salwarpe village - one showing visible signs of "pollen horn" around the lores - a sure sign of fresh migration from the Mediterranean area.

Hi Dave , Nice to catch up this morning. Not much showing, too cold !!
The Chiffchaff I saw this week was on Wednesday morning between Porters Mill and Mildenam Mill.

Hi Dave , Nice to catch up this morning. Not much showing, too cold !!
The Chiffchaff I saw this week was on Wednesday morning between Porters Mill and Mildenam Mill.

Cheers Phil,

I will put this year's return date as 14th March unless anyone comes forward with an earlier one.

Had another one with dark pollen around its lores this morning around Linacre bridge. Two others around Mildenham calling also.

Tufted Duck drake on the small pool between Hawford and Chatley but not much else - like you say, too cold.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back