• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony introduces the a7R IV with 61 Megapixel full-frame sensor - The Business !!!! (1 Viewer)

Sony is calling this "another milestone in mirrorless"

It will [SHIP] in September for USD3500

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
SONY aR7IV

* Full-frame 61MP BSI-CMOS sensor
* 15 stops of dynamic range
* Hybrid AF system with 567 PDAF and 425 contrast-detect point, and 74% frame coverage
* Real-time eye, human and animal AF
* 10 fps with continuous AF for up to 68 photos
* Redesigned, with upgraded weather-sealing, including foam gaskets around the battery and card doors, and raised lips around all the connectors that, along with rubber port doors prevent water from working its way around the seal
* Significantly deeper grip, a larger joystick and repositioned, 'newly designed' buttons and dials
* 5.76M-dot EVF
* Dual UHS-II card slots and USB-C
* 802.11ac Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth and NFC
* NP-FZ100 battery, which can take approximately 670 shots using the LCD and 530 using the EVF, based on CIPA standard testing. A battery grip, which holds two FZ100s, is priced at $400.
* Built-in 5-axis image stabilization, which can reduce shake by up to 5.5 stops
* Bionz X processor (same as the Mark III)
* Tilting 1.44M-dot touchscreen display (same as the Mark III)
* 26MP APS-C crop mode with near-total-frame AF coverage and 325 PDAF points.
* Pixel Shift mode can captures 960 Megapixels worth of data by compositing 16 images, which can be processed via Sony's Imaging Edge software to create 240MP photos
* Users have a choice of 16-shot mode that makes 1/2 pixel shifts or a 4-shot mode that makes full pixel shifts. Using the 1/2 shift mode you get twice the spatial resolution and full color at each pixel, while the full shift mode (which uses 4 images) just cancels out the Bayer filter.
* Oversampled 4K/30p video capture with touch tracking and real-time Eye AF, and support for 8-bit S-Log2/3 and HLG
* Super 35 crop with additional 1.2x crop at 30p and 1.1x at 24p
* Top bit rate is 100Mbps using XAVC S (same as the Mark III)
* New digital interface between the the microphone and camera, making the a7R IV the first camera to accept digital audio input
* New microphone and an XLR adapter, both of which have built-in ADCs to provide digital signal to the camera (but which also have analog output modes to retain compatibility with older cameras)
* New connectivity options, thanks to the addition of 5GHz Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi can now be used for tethered shooting as well)

The above distilled/ pasted from the dpreview article linked in the op.

With it's small size and light weight, could this new a7R IV be the all round all in one FF/APS-C camera that the Nikon D850 just didn't quite make ? (the battery grip needed for 9fps pushing it up to ~D5 weight).

The new Sony's 68 shot FF buffer (~7 seconds @10fps) is also extended to ~200 in 26MP APS-C mode ...... making for a very real Nikon D500 challenger ....... :cat:

Shooting and Focusing Speed

This from the Sony press release ....

"The innovative new Alpha 7R IV full-frame mirrorless camera can shoot full resolution images at up to 10 fps[iv]*with continuous, accurate AF/AE tracking for up to approximately seven seconds[v]in full-frame, full-resolution mode (JPEG / RAW), and approx. three times as long in APS-C crop mode delivering 26.2MP[ii]*images. These high-speed options ensure that fast moving subjects can be captured with extreme accuracy and incredible image detail.

The upgraded focusing system of the Alpha 7R IV is comprised of 567 focal-plane phase-detection AF points that cover approximately 74 percent of the image area. There are also 425 contrast AF points that add extra precision and reliability for low light and other situations that are best served by contrast AF. The higher AF sensor density and refined tracking algorithms of the new camera produce a notable improvement in tracking performance, allowing complex subject motion and sudden subject movements to be reliably tracked with greater precision than ever.

The Alpha 7R IV also supports Real-time Eye AF, which employs artificial intelligence to detect and process eye location data in real-time, locking and maintaining focus on the subject’s eye with extreme precision. This is available for both animal and human subjects, with either animal or human Eye AF mode selectable depending on the shooting situation. Real-time Tracking[vii]*is available as well, which utilizes a newly developed subject recognition algorithm to ensure the ultimate subject tracking and persistence of the focusing system."

Sony are claiming further improvements in tracking - this should be quite something to behold ..... !

They are announcing up to 4 cameras, and I thought one was an a6500 successor sports-oriented camera. That would be the true d500 killer, as it would come in more in the $1500 range, I would guess. It would also have much smaller image sizes, which is what most people want.

If they can get the sports/wildlife AF on the a7riv up to a9 / d850 standards, then yes, this could be the all-arounder. Probably what the z8 will be shooting for.

Yes Marc, that does complicate all the equations somewhat. I can't wait to get one to feel in the hand to see how that "significantly deeper grip" feels .....
Settling down a bit, and looking at the Sony video in the posted dpreview article - the new grip still looks somewhat dinky in the hands of the people featured (none of which were huge handed). Will have to curb the enthusiasm a bit until one can be tested with some significant glass hanging off it. It might just have scotched the plan to rush out and get a Niki D500 though (should that long awaited 600 PF ever show up) ......... :cat:

They are announcing up to 4 cameras, and I thought one was an a6500 successor sports-oriented camera. That would be the true d500 killer, as it would come in more in the $1500 range, I would guess. It would also have much smaller image sizes, which is what most people want.

If they can get the sports/wildlife AF on the a7riv up to a9 / d850 standards, then yes, this could be the all-arounder. Probably what the z8 will be shooting for.
Yes Marc, I agree - an ergonomic a7000 (or whatever it would be called) would place the D500 under pressure. However I think this new a7R IV does too. 26MP is pretty handy/manageable. I just had a quick look at the tracking in the video - looks pretty darn good :)

I think there's a good chance the a7R IV may blow past the D850 in this regard. UI and ergonomics would probably still land D850's way though.

The 5.76Million dot EVF of this new Sony is best on market.

The Nikon Z8 should be very interesting (they will have to step the processing right up - and the native lens selection, particularly telephotos).

Nikon is certainly going to have to step up to the plate in both mirrorless and DSLR. Maybe this puts a D500S back on the agenda ? :cat:

Behind the Spec sheet .....

It seems that some of the headline specs have a few limitations .....

That 15 stop DR is only with downsampled 8MP images.

The EVF offers either high resolution or high refresh rate (120fps) but not it seems at the same time.

The 10fps rate drops to 8fps if the EVF operates in no blackout mode.

The video seems largely unimproved over the III ..... leaving plenty of room for a new 'S' model.

I'd like to see the AF point coverage pattern in APS-C mode which drops to 325 points. AF from what is being promoted should be class leading. I wonder how it will compare with the forthcoming Nikon D6 /Canon 1DX III DSLR's, or the Sony a9 or possibly an a9II model ??

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/3979321923/sony-a7r-iv-what-you-need-to-know

Should be quite the bit of landscape kit though, as well as offering solid birding stills ability (in APS-C mode for reach, or FF mode for low light). Quite a versatile camera :)

Last edited:
So pixel size will be less than 4 microns on this beast. For comparison, MFT cameras have 3.3 or 3.75 micron pixel size, so do we expect similar high iso performance?

Niels

So pixel size will be less than 4 microns on this beast. For comparison, MFT cameras have 3.3 or 3.75 micron pixel size, so do we expect similar high iso performance?

Niels
That's an interesting point Niels - the 61MP a7R IV is equivalent to a 15.2MP MFT, so close to the resolution of the current crop (20MP MFT =eq 80MP FF is equivalent to a 31MP to 35MP APS-C ....which is what Canon is rumoured to be coming out with in the 90D)

If the DR in the a7R IV is anything like the III we could expect it to be class leading ..... though when cropped to MFT it may lag slightly in high ISO DR figures ..... in that respect the Olympus OM-D EII seems to sit atop in that regard. It will be interesting to see how the pixel shifts play out :cat:

Apparently it has worse rolling shutter than the a9, and there's no word yet on whether it is a 'star eater' or has 'banding' issues .....

Last edited:

"The innovative new Alpha 7R IV full-frame mirrorless camera can shoot full resolution images at up to 10 fps[iv]*with continuous, accurate AF/AE tracking for up to approximately seven seconds[v]in full-frame, full-resolution mode (JPEG / RAW), and approx. three times as long in APS-C crop mode delivering 26.2MP[ii]*images. These high-speed options ensure that fast moving subjects can be captured with extreme accuracy and incredible image detail.

..."

The bold parts called my attention. If money is no limitation, this model can produce higher resolution images than a a6400/6500, for the same magnification, without loosing full-frame, where it's needed...:t:

Unfortunately, for me, the price tag is too high to justify my potential gain use over my a6000...

Niels
That's a very good point and One I had not thought about, thanks for bringing this up .
If the noise isn't much better it's not really going to help as a second camera next to the EM1X .
Rob.

That's a very good point and One I had not thought about, thanks for bringing this up .
If the noise isn't much better it's not really going to help as a second camera next to the EM1X .
Rob.
60mp is way over the top as well. The camera may well prove to be good but essentially it's designed to trouser the gear heads spare cash.

60mp is way over the top as well. The camera may well prove to be good but essentially it's designed to trouser the gear heads spare cash.
The beauty of the 61MP is that in APS-C mode you are sporting a 26.2MP camera. Finally something to out do the Nikon D7200. I would find that very appealing. Not only that, but your AF point coverage goes all the way vertically, and buffer goes up to 200 compressed RAW /100 uncompressed. That's 10 full seconds at least of blazing away.

With AF improved even more, there's not too many weaknesses on it as a stills sports/landscape camera. I wonder how it will handle astrophotography ? and whether any future firmware upgrades will endow it with HDR - Photo Stacking - Pixel Shift capabilities.

Sony has some nice light long lenses now, even if no Diffractive Optics options ...... my biggest question mark (apart from the lack of a top LCD display) is what lenses would you use for Landscapes etc. Sony just doesn't seem to have the focal range of Nikon, or even Canon. Every 3rd party lens standard (such as Tamron's 15-30 G2 f2.8) seems to lose a mm or two at either end of the range. Most annoying.

I look forward to the Nikon Z8 to see if they can stride past Sony ...... :cat:

The beauty of the 61MP is that in APS-C mode you are sporting a 26.2MP camera. Finally something to out do the Nikon D7200. I would find that very appealing. Not only that, but your AF point coverage goes all the way vertically, and buffer goes up to 200 compressed RAW /100 uncompressed. That's 10 full seconds at least of blazing away.

With AF improved even more, there's not too many weaknesses on it as a stills sports/landscape camera. I wonder how it will handle astrophotography ? and whether any future firmware upgrades will endow it with HDR - Photo Stacking - Pixel Shift capabilities.

Sony has some nice light long lenses now, even if no Diffractive Optics options ...... my biggest question mark (apart from the lack of a top LCD display) is what lenses would you use for Landscapes etc. Sony just doesn't seem to have the focal range of Nikon, or even Canon. Every 3rd party lens standard (such as Tamron's 15-30 G2 f2.8) seems to lose a mm or two at either end of the range. Most annoying.

I look forward to the Nikon Z8 to see if they can stride past Sony ...... :cat:

Essentially it's a 61mp camera and for me that would bring RAW file PC processing and storage issues, also diffraction would come into play with all but the very best glass. Sony unfortunately just does not produce that glass at the moment. The variation in copy to copy quality is not good.
Its video capabilities are not really improved and the 15 stops of DR is BS.
If one buys it purely to use in crop mode then thats ones own choice. Sample shots on DP review were panned but that may change when in other peoples hands.
For me, its best attribute at the moment is that it may drive down the price of the excellent A7R3.
Interesting to see you say that this camera finally outdoes the Nikon D7200, do you not rate the D500?
I'm not averse to this camera per se, it's just that I see overstated specs from a consumer electronics company running riot.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back