• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you think of Springwatch? (1 Viewer)

I don't see the point in spending tthe best part of each show pointing cameras at the same creatures we've seen day in day out, week in week out - by the time they've done that theres not much time left for anything else.

I think in the early days the programme was mainly targetted at newcomers and at trying to attract people into wildlife which has to be a good thing but I reckon its in need of some new ideas now.

I can't remember the likes of like Wood Warbler, Redstart or Ring Ouzel (among many others) ever featuring in any series?

Or what about butterflies, dragonflies, moths and mothing and wildflowers?

Of course, to show the above you've have to move the cameras away from presenters for more than a few minutes and that would never do

Yawn. I dont know whats worse, the series or threads about the series. I'd rather be out there doing it anyway. I'm not one for watching others enjoying themselves when I can be enjoyng myself instead!

I must admit that i think Kate was acting Dumb too much, Chris however was very good, everything he said was made sense. He's obviously a knowledgable chap. I think he'll be great over the next three weeks.

Really Like the Goshawk and Polecat but badgers again!

i watched the whole episode last night but could only stomach ten minutes this evening before having to switch off. With the exception of Gordon Buchanon i find all the presenters rather tedious. Having said that they would probably find me tedious as well though ;)

I'll miss Bill Oddies sense of humour but not the stupid things the producers used to make him do...

Well I miss Bill, but had to laugh at the end of last nights show when Chris blatently interrupted Kate! Thought he did ok!

There's not much on t.v. that appeals to me these days so I'm easily pleased when Springwatch is on. I don't pay it my full attention all the way through, but some of the items on there are very interesting and beautifully filmed.

I would like to endulge in a bit of boasting here and say that on 25/06/2005 in broad daylight at Sheskinmore, Co. Donegal I saw a badger digging out a rabbit and "shaking it like a terrier might shake a rat" as I wrote in my notes. Unfortunate for the rabbit but seemingly very fortunate for me if Simon King has never seen the behaviour before!

Like the goshawks- still have to see one of them.

Not the best, it has lost it's direction. It needs to be re-invented with more wildlife other than bloody bagers and baby birds.....it could be so much more better and really informative.

We miss you Bill

I don't finish work till 8pm, so only get last half hour. Thought tonight I'd watch Springwatch Unsprung - does Humbug have to hog all the airtime, or has she got a clause in her contract. My partner is beginning to feel it's unwatchable with her constant interruptions of anyone with any knowledge trying to get a point across. It's rude, disruptive and poor viewing.

Still, footy tomorrow!

It seems to me that she's the "anchor" for the programme, any calls from producers to move on or to finish the programme go through her, but the chaotic nature of this part of the programme meant there was no natural flow to the section.

However I did find some of the stuff they were talking about to be really interesting, including birds feeding young of other species (including Simon King mentioning a Robin feeding a goldfish). When Chris piped in about how Cuckoos take advantage of this then it really made sense.

* Agree that Chris Packham is interesting and worth watching and listening to.

* Agree that Kate Humble and Simon King both tend to be too "gushy", and do we really want to see and hear that?

* Hopefully with the addition of Chris P that will tone down as he will not
join in.

But a very interesting programme, and with regard to the footage of the more common birds ie robin, chaffinch and swallow we were given more "meaty" facts than in previous years.

I enjoyed the programme and shall , hopefully, watch tomorrow.

I have always found Kate Humble annoying even in previous years when she was trying to tell Bill about Birding [He has probably forgotten more than she knows]. But I have found her even more annoying and embarrassing this time the way how she is fawning over Chris for his answers.

Lets hope Bill comes back next year and they keep Chris.

I have always found Kate Humble annoying even in previous years when she was trying to tell Bill about Birding [He has probably forgotten more than she knows]. But I have found her even more annoying and embarrassing this time the way how she is fawning over Chris for his answers.

Lets hope Bill comes back next year and they keep Chris.

I'm afraid I do agree with you, Marmot.

Let's keep Chris P with Bill next year...it will be a very interesting series then.

Or put another less-gushing woman in her place. Don't know who, I'm afraid...

Agree with the comments about Julia Bradbury too...another annoying presenter. Sorry.

Good points - the scenery, especially from mid Wales, a place I don't really know. Goshawk - looking forward to more of this. Polecat, possibly, though the team are all a bit too pleased with their technical wizardry. The nestcams - Swallows, Chaffinches etc. I wish the presenters wouldn't call them "characters"!

Bad points - the presenters, though this is probably partly the fault of the production team. I wish they would just comment/inform and not think that they need to entertain us with their personalities. David Attenborough they are not. Altogether too much about how clever/interesting they and the technical crew are. And the way that they try to build tension by trailing what is coming later on is irritating. More action, less talking about it please. And more live action. Too much stuff that has been filmed at different times and cut into the programme. It is supposed to be Springwatch.

As someone has already said, this is probably aimed at getting more people interested in nature. Not a bad thing, but a bit dumb for those already interested.

Pat

I can't help feeling that they are not making the most of being at Pensthorpe. It is a stunningly beautiful place, filled with all sorts of waterfowl, some captive bred but many wild, but they seem to be concentrating rather a lot on such ubiquitous favourites as Blackbirds, Robins and Chaffinches. I suppose the Willow Warblers are a bit different but I am sure they could come up with others. Perhaps it will change in future programmes.

I am finding Martin a little less annoying than I did in the first programme. He seems to have calmed down slightly and stopped waving his hands about like a bookmaker on speed. I think he seems better in the recorded sections than live but I suppose that is because it's a new experience for him.

I thought the highlight last night was the film by the poet bloke (I can't remember his name) and the shots of the Stoat with its kit by the entrance road.

Ron

Last edited:
I am finding Martin a little less annoying than I did in the first programme. He seems to have calmed down slightly and stopped waving his hands about like a bookmaker on speed. I think he seems better in the recorded sections than live but I suppose that is because it's a new experience for him.

Ron

Yes I thaught that too

In view of Chris Packham's Lupin disasters last night, perhaps they should have gone for Alan Titchmarsh after all. ;)

A strange choice of pot plants.

Ron

I didn`t realise there so many wildlife and presenting experts on this forum.I think Springwatch makes a change from new style sensationalist type wildlife TV which has started to dominate lately where it seems necessary to show all the blood and guts of predation(thanks Chris).I new it wouldn`t be long before somebody mentioned Attenborough.I`m sorry but he bores the t**`s off me

Graham

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back