• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (7 Viewers)

The Handbook of Bird Families has been finally published. It's a good book that containts the descriptions of 234 bird families. The extinct family Mohoidae and the new family Modulatricidae are only briefly mentioned. The morphological descriptions are not so comprehensive as in the book Bird Families of the World by Winkler et al but the conservation status sections are very good, as Elphick named every treatened biird that is in the IUCN caterogies from Extinct to Vulnerable. For me, the Elphick book is a good supplement to the Winkler et al book.

Phil Gregory's Birds of Paradise and Bowerbirds book is not due until November now apparently. Pretty sure that when first announced it was due in June, then it was moved back to September. Unlikely to be published this year at all?

Shame as it was without a doubt the book I was looking forward to most this year. I find it odd that Helm are so quick to announce new titles, only for said titles to be pushed forward indefinitely (Birds of Argentina, Birds of Brazil, Birds of East Africa and Birds of Mongolia to name just a few).

This will be published in December.

I am curious how the Shirihai postponement game will be played this year. FG Seabirds of the World is scheduled for publishing in August 2019. I bet against this.

Lynx continue the publishing thing...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-04 at 11.39.53.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-05-04 at 11.39.53.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 211
Thinking about it, why have they pumped these three out after they did the survey of customers 'most needed', none of these were anywhere near or even on that list they put out, which was based on the survey results?

Thinking about it, why have they pumped these three out after they did the survey of customers 'most needed', none of these were anywhere near or even on that list they put out, which was based on the survey results?

Already in production before the bright idea to get the punters to tell them what next?

Already in production before the bright idea to get the punters to tell them what next?

Probably, you'd think we should soon see whether or not they took any notice of the survey results at the rate they're getting them out though.

If you think about it, all it is they're doing is regionalising HBW.

To write and publish - or even just "pump out" - a field guide in the five months since those survey results were compiled would be a quite extraordinary feat, and I am not sure I would bet my money on the result.

If you think about it, all it is they're doing is regionalising HBW.

The same HBW/BirdLife taxonomy is the basis for the series, and existing artwork has been incorporated where relevant. You will have noticed that the text is entirely new (written by different authors!), maps have been completely revised and updated, and a lot of new artwork has been commissioned.

To write and publish - or even just "pump out" - a field guide in the five months since those survey results were compiled would be a quite extraordinary feat, and I am not sure I would bet my money on the result.

The same HBW/BirdLife taxonomy is the basis for the series, and existing artwork has been incorporated where relevant. You will have noticed that the text is entirely new (written by different authors!), maps have been completely revised and updated, and a lot of new artwork has been commissioned.

Hi Chris,
re 'pumping out', they're not doing bad, it will be five in two years with these latest three. You'll see that I did agree with McM that they were already on the way which does seem obvious really.

On your second point, surely the bulk of the work is in place somewhere or they couldn't have got these five out so quickly?

Some of your geographical neighbours down there are crying out for coverage, interesting to see if Lynx will beat Mrs Zimmer, Whittaker and Pearman to the line which will really cut in to their bottom line if they do.

Last edited:
Hi Andy

On your second point, surely the bulk of the work is in place somewhere or they couldn't have got these five out so quickly?

No. And not on HBW - you can verify that by comparing the two. HBW and the guides are two different things with quite different objectives.

Some of your geographical neighbours down there are crying out for coverage, interesting to see if Lynx will beat Mrs Zimmer, Whittaker and Pearman to the line which will really cut in to their bottom line if they do.

As you say, some parts of the Neotropics are crying out for coverage. Filling that need in order to support bird conservation is precisely the role of the Lynx and BirdLife International Field Guides Series.

'On your second point, surely the bulk of the work is in place somewhere or they couldn't have got these five out so quickly?'

No. And not on HBW - you can verify that by comparing the two. HBW and the guides are two different things with quite different objectives.

I meant unpublished Chris, waiting in the wings as it were.

I'm just ordered The Complete Guide to Australian Birds by George Adams. Interestingly it will last up to three months until the book will arrive from Australia to Amazon Germany.

In 2022, Julian Hume will publish his third volume of Extinct Birds. I hope he will fix all the errors which can be find in the first two volumes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back