• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this unusual? (1 Viewer)

Hi,
I witnessed something today that I've not seen before. A coal tit has been coming to the sunflower heart feeder constantly all day. I suspected it was hoarding the seeds and kept an eye on it as it left each time.
Sure enough, it was hiding the seeds in all sorts of nooks and crannies, such as tiny gaps in the fence, cracks in the back of a wooden bench and in the bark of the birch tree. I had read of tits doing this, so was not too surprised, but pleased to see it.
It then did something I didn't expect. It started burying them in the lawn. It must have spent an hour doing this. I lost count at twenty seeds.
I read that they can remember where they hid the seeds for several weeks, but how on earth would it find tiny seeds buried in the lawn?
Anyone else witnessed this?

Hi,
I witnessed something today that I've not seen before. A coal tit has been coming to the sunflower heart feeder constantly all day. I suspected it was hoarding the seeds and kept an eye on it as it left each time.
Sure enough, it was hiding the seeds in all sorts of nooks and crannies, such as tiny gaps in the fence, cracks in the back of a wooden bench and in the bark of the birch tree. I had read of tits doing this, so was not too surprised, but pleased to see it.
It then did something I didn't expect. It started burying them in the lawn. It must have spent an hour doing this. I lost count at twenty seeds.
I read that they can remember where they hid the seeds for several weeks, but how on earth would it find tiny seeds buried in the lawn?
Anyone else witnessed this?

I've not personally seen this and not heard of Coal Tit doing this either but other species like Jay are well known to do this. Maybe thats where it got the idea from. As for remembering where the seeds are, my understanding (with Jays at least) was that they remember only a few of the hiding spots where they bury seeds/acorns etc.

CB

coal tits are renowned for it, bananafishbones from here even has some sunflowers this year that were planted by his coal tits last winter.

I haven't seen this personally, but a quick search turned up Focus on the Coal Tit by the BTO, which includes the following:

Coal Tits are well-known for their ability to store food and can be seen taking seeds away from a feeding station to cache for use at a later date. This behaviour, coupled with the fact that they can feed on the undersides of snow-covered conifer branches, enables them to survive severe winter weather more readily than either Blue Tits or Great Tits. Food caching usually occurs between June and December, with a peak in October, but there have been observations which indicate that Coal Tits may also store food in April during the run-up to egg-laying – a period when additional food resources may be particularly important.

Also a previous thread on Bird Forum.

Hi
I have 4 coal tits daily on my feeders and are doing the same as yours, one as started filling the key-hole up in my shed door with black sunflower seeds, and one was trying to hide them in the washing on the line, Saturday morning. When i got a pair of socks off the line Saturday afternoon 4 seeds fell out.
Very entertaining

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back