• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pelagic trips? (1 Viewer)

prairiemerlin

registered guy
Every fall, the New Jersey Audubon Society has a "Cape May Fall Weekend" in late October. There are field trips and programs, and I also noticed they have a "Mini-pelagic trip". Next year I'm thinking of attending the Cape May Fall Weekend, and I really want to go on the pelagic trip. Would there be any seabirds around that time of year? If yes, what seabird species would I be most likely to see?

Thanks a lot,
Neil

Hi Neil,

Seelife Paulagics list the possibilities for there late October trip as follows (also supposed to be a good company) - the Oct trip was cancelled this year but was going from Lewes DE - Luke:

This time of year at sea is very poorly birded. We are running this trip to see what might be out there. New Jersey's only record for Buller's Shearwater was seen on October 28, 1984, just 31 miles from shore.

Northern Fulmar, Greater and Manx Shearwaters, Northern Gannet, Red and Red-necked Phalaropes, Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers, South Polar Skua*, Herring, Iceland, Lesser Black-backed and Greater Black-backed Gulls, Black-legged Kittiwake. This is also a good time to catch good numbers of coastal migrants such as Common and Red-throated Loons, and Surf and Black Scoters.

There is no way we'll see ALL these birds, but these are the birds we would expect to see if we went out several times in winter. Some are virtually guaranteed (e.g. Herring Gull) and others are much less expected (marked with *).

We will also be looking for marine mammals. Some of the possibilities at this time of year are Fin Whale, Humpbacked Whale, Common Dolphin, and Risso's Dolphin.

website www.paulagics.com

Last edited:
Take me! Take me! Late fall is excellent on the west coast. Don't know about the east coast but it seems to me there is something to be learned from every month when you can get good observers (ie. birders) together. It's really pathetic in B.C. when it's a big deal to get a pelagic trip together. I've only been out in October; yes it's probably the best time but think of all the birds that come through at other times. NOTE TO ENTREPANEURS: B.C. NEEDS A PELAGIC TRIP GUIDE TO THE WEST COAST OF VANCOUVER ISLAND!!!!

I've been campaigning for a pelagic trip here for the last three years and can't seem to get it off the ground. Everyone is interested until it comes time to do something concrete then it simply dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back