• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightingale in Saudi Arabia? (1 Viewer)

AJDH

England
Could the experts give this the once over and help me with identification.

Attachments

• DSC_0006_800w.jpg
    DSC_0006_800w.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 196
That's a female Common Redstart. I think the red tail is the confusion, but a Nightingale is much browner overall, and except in unusual circumstances, Nightingales don't perch out in the open.

Darrell

Darrell Clegg said:
That's a female Common Redstart. I think the red tail is the confusion, but a Nightingale is much browner overall, and except in unusual circumstances, Nightingales don't perch out in the open.

Darrell
Thanks Darrell, the redstart was my other choice but the white under the throat and body was throwing me. As for staying out in the open, it was perched for seconds and I was lucky to even get a shot of it.

yes a nice female redstart AJ. Hopefully I will be able to find one locally this spring/summer maybe at rivington, barrow bridge or longworth clough in good old rainy bolton (even been a bit of snow this week).
all the best Ste

Darrell Clegg said:
Nightingales don't perch out in the open.

Darrell

Sorry Darrell but there's always exceptions to the rule (which you are right about), this showy Nightingale has done this every year I have lived here in Spain.

Attachments

• Nightingale.jpg
    Nightingale.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 124
Hi,
When I worked in Riyadh during '92-93 I frequently came across 'samamisicus' race of Common Redstart and Thrush Nightingale, but never actually saw a Nightingale. Have video-footage of some of these. (if anyone is interested see www.hbw.com/ibc)
Tom

Steven Astley said:
yes a nice female redstart AJ. Hopefully I will be able to find one locally this spring/summer maybe at rivington, barrow bridge or longworth clough in good old rainy bolton (even been a bit of snow this week).
all the best Ste
I hope the weather improves before I get back in August. :-O

Jules Sykes said:
Sorry Darrell but there's always exceptions to the rule (which you are right about), this showy Nightingale has done this every year I have lived here in Spain.

I would ditto that - though I speak of Thrush Nightingales, I do occasionally get spring birds that are downright showy, sitting out in the open and singing away. Never had an autumn bird do similar ...once they stop singing, they as good as vanish.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back