• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 10x42L IS WP eyecup (1 Viewer)

Not sure what the local Canon dealership would be for you, but the assembly is available from Canon parts service.
The part number is CY1-8033-000, labelled 'Sleeve, Cam, Eye Cup'

The warehouse item number was YB7-0379-000

Buy two when you do, I'm on my third replacement, that sleeve is somewhat frail.
A guide on a pelagic in Japan had simply wrapped his eye pieces with several turns of duct tape, for a robust and effective, albeit somewhat crude looking solution.

Yes, this looks very astonishing but - what were you doing with this fine piece of glass? I'm using my 10x42 since 2008, and nearly every day for several hours and you see scratches and used parts at the outer shell - and it's lying without any cover (except the one for the eyepieces) on my car's backseat. This thing is build like a tank and (with stabilizer off) it seems 'nearly undestroyable'. (Just for fun) I wrote several times in the german jülich forum, that perhaps you can hit nails into wood with this 'hummer' - have you done this? ;-)

In summer and on sunny winterdays I'm often wearing sunglasses, so I screw the eyecups regularly in and out - in if I'm scanning the places with glasses and out whlie looking details (I'm wearing contact lenses). Sorry for my asking: I've never seen such a damage before, and etudiant has this failure for three times…

Have success with the new eyecups
Manfred

The sleeve is vulnerable at the end points of the adjustment slot, especially if one removes the rubber cover (to clean the ocular) without the eye cup set all the way down. That killed one in my case, the other one just broke, am using a third and have a spare in hand. Not too bad for a 2008 item...
I wear glasses, so my eye cups are always fully screwed down.

Thank you for your attention to the topic! Binoculars used in different conditions! The problem arose when the elbows were laid down and the eye flaps were raised

Since this thread started, there have been a few changes.

#1 - The item number for Sleeve, Cam, Eye Cup" has changed slightly to CY1- 8033-010.

#2 - The item number for Screw, Eye Cup is YB7-0379-000 (this is listed above as a warehouse number, but it's the number for the tiny screws that guide the sleeve for the eye cup.

#3 - The phone number for parts is now 1-866-481-2569

#4 - The phone number for sales is now 1-800-385-3125

Thanks to the OP for this, however, since there was enough information that in late 2022, I was still able to order parts needed for this repair. Beats sending them in for a $200 visit! The parts I ordered (two sleeves and four screws) was $22 including tax.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back