• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rugged MM4-60 (1 Viewer)

bioscope

Here is a good ending story about a Opticron-fail… :eek!:

It's well known, that optical well designed optics is mostly also mechnical very sturdy, so that a bump or low touch down seldom gets to a optical damage. (And this is shurely also a part of the price tag of Zeiss, Swaro &Co.)
The last week I was looking in the early dusk for Oecanthus pellucens (a sort of crickets), and the Bubo bubo (a big owl) near a sand pit. The opticron stood on his feet on the back of my car, while opening the tripod. Because of the back-heaviness of the MM4, closing the door was enough for falling down from the back to the ground - and the the ground was concrete, not soil or grass…:eek!: The first thought was 'bye-bye', with pictures of a cracked housing, and scattered glass inside. Than came a loud scream, but the Bubo-bubo didn't looked interested… I took the scope and shook it, but nothing rattled. Wow. Then I set it on the Gitzo, and watched (trembling) the evening scene - a far tree was sharp, if nothing had happened !?
Don't try this at home - falling a scope body from nearly 1m to hard concrete is not a joke for you. I know that there was veeery much luck, the scope perhaps fall on the closed rubber front-lens cover and then touched with the prism-housing (there is the scratched place on the rubber).
Thanks Opticron for engineering a solid housing a solid construction of the optical system. ;-)

happy regards
Manfred

Attachments

• Opticar.jpg
    Opticar.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 168
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back