• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Austral Pygmy Owl (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Austral Pygmy-Owl

Discussion thread for Austral Pygmy-Owl. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.
------------------

Glaucidium nanum vs. nana - Clements, S&M, and SACC all use nanum; H&M and IOC both use nana - but no source seems to have changed or "fixed" their gender - so is nanum the proper gender?

From my days of Latin, I believe Glaucidium is neuter - I guess a possible confusion may be that both nanum (singular) and nana (plural) could be neuter.

Last edited:
could you explain the "invariable" a little more?

Latin grammatical rules do not apply all the time (David & Gosselin 2002 a & b) and in this specific case, after re-reading the original description of Strix nana by King in 1827, N. David concluded that nana should not become nanum to fit the neuter gender of Glaucidium, but instead remain as it is, so ...

So nana is correct?

... yes Glaucidium nana is correct.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back