• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica - Medical Advice (1 Viewer)

Jynx

Mike King aka The Gloster Birder, Keeping Gloster
Hi

we are off to Costa Rica next month and are wondering if birders visiting have any advice regarding vaccinations/medications either mandatory or recommended.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Hi

we are off to Costa Rica next month and are wondering if birders visiting have any advice regarding vaccinations/medications either mandatory or recommended.

Thanks in advance
Mike

None are mandatory, except probably Yellow Fever if you happened to be travelling from a zone in which occurs, ie not including UK.

As for recommended, Costa Rica has got to be one of the safest destinations in the Tropics from all angles, health included. I would suppose all the usual would be advisable, but I took nothing, nor saw need. However, maybe a more responsible type with add detail to this.

None are mandatory, except probably Yellow Fever if you happened to be travelling from a zone in which occurs, ie not including UK.

As for recommended, Costa Rica has got to be one of the safest destinations in the Tropics from all angles, health included. I would suppose all the usual would be advisable, but I took nothing, nor saw need. However, maybe a more responsible type with add detail to this.

I agree.

Malaria is generally isolated in the Southeast part of the country, and very rare even there. Dengue Fever is a bit more common, but there's no vaccine and nothing to do before one comes to CR.

For one of the better web sites on Costa Rica and its diseases, I'll recommend "The Real Costa Rica Web Site".

Last edited:
This is the public UK website, based on Travax, the site that travel clinics (public and private) use for information. There is a map of the limited areas where malaria is a risk. Your GP surgery will normally have a travel clinic and should be able to advise you as to whether the 'usually or sometimes' advised vaccines are necessary'.

Last edited:
My personal feeling is that anyone traveling at all (or even frequently eating outside your own kitchen) should have Hepatitis A (for example, there were plenty of examples of restaurants where Hepatitis A was a problem for a period of time during the years we lived in the US). Hepatitis B and C probably are less important, but why not get the best possible combined shot?

In addition, the shots you would be expected to have current where you live (such as Tetanus) should probably be checked for time since last booster.

Niels

As a general guide boosting tetanus, polio & diptheria (if necessary; your GP should have a record of your last boosters) is a good idea.

Hepatitis A is always worthwhile for travellers though Hepatitis B is usually only recommended for extended stay. There is no vaccine for Hepatitis C.

Typhoid vaccination is cheap & readily available and whilst not a major issue in CR is still worthwhile -especially as there is a combination vaccine with Hep A.

Despite being extensive freshwater wetlands Tortuguero, Cano Negro & Palo Verde have no real malaria risk -but I can confirm they have lots of mozzies!!! (Check out the bare skin at the base of this poor Tortuguero Boat-bill).

Of all the latin American countries Costa Rica is the best place to become unwell in as health care is of a high standard.

Attachments

• 101853521_Z2ZO3ecT.jpg
    101853521_Z2ZO3ecT.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 67
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back