• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suggestions Please! (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
Next month we are going to be staying in the Gower near Port Enyon.

Are there are any must see places or areas which locals would recommend for our visit, please?

Thank you!

I dont go to the Gower very often but i've always had a great time. Back in March i went over to Rhossili and Worms head which was great. The highlight was the Choughs but they can be found at quite a few different spots on the gower, including (i Think?!) Port Eynon. Another great place to just walk around for a day is Whiteford Burrows NNR which is on the north side of the Gower. I've only been there in winter when there are loads of waders, geese and ducks including good numbers of Slav Grebe and eider ducks. But these almost certainly wont be there this time of year.

There are a few BF members that live on the Gower so they will be able to suggest some good summer spots!

First off as an ex Gower resident.. it is Gower defiantly not the Gower!

Secondly there are lots of great places to visit.

A walk along the cliffs from Port Eynon to Rhossili and then out to the Worm would be great. Almost certain to see choughs, yellowhammers and lots more. You will need to time it so you arrive at the Worm in time to get over and back while the tide is suitable. I would allow a good four hours from Port Eynon to Rhossili, there is a "motorway" path just back from the cliff edge but that avoids a lot of interest, it is best to take your time and explore the in & outs rather than just motor along. The auks should be gone from the Worm but the seals will still be around, I would allow two hours from Rhossili out to the Outer Head and back. The tide times are posted at the Coastguard place in Rhossili or in the local paper. It is referred to as the causeway, but it is not, its just a make your own way across jumble of rock and rockpools. There is a round Gower bus service so you could get the bus back from Rhossili to Port Eynon.

Whiteford is pretty but is better as a winter wader spot, there will some stuff about and there are crossbills in the woods by the National Trust cabin.

The WWT reserve at Penclacwydd is not far.

Outside of birds there lots of beautiful beaches, a few castles and waves permitting some surf. Three Cliff bay is a picture especially if you can get there at a high spring tide. Lots of nice pubs, but sadly not in Port Eynon.

Hope the weather holds for you.

Mono

Thank you Luke and Mono! I have made notes! Hopefully the weather will be dry and with luck, I might get some decent photos to share.

Hi Kits,

Rhossili is a must. Not sure what your primary objective is for the trip - birding, walking, beaches or scenery but it has all of those. We are about an hours drive away and visit at least once every couple of months (usually off-season). From a birding perspective, check out the clifffs and sea caves at Eastern end of beach. Choughs are a possible, Rock pippits are definite, ravens and perries regular. Time of year your coming afraid your probably going to miss the Turnstones, Oystercatchers, Sanderlings and other regular waders but you could get genuine Stock Doves (not the messy feral town crap) over the low cliffs or headland. It is also worth taking a walk along the paths through the dune system for some exciting wild flower and insect encounters. Have found some fantastically coloured grasshoppers and crickets here.
If it is beech scenes you are wanting, cannot beat Whitesands bay - absolutely stunning. To be true, anywhere you go on the Gower (apologies to Mono, I'm not a Welsh native or speaker and all the roadsigns say 'Yr Gowyr' - you figure it out!) if the the weather is kind you will have a special time.

Hope you enjoy your visit to a magic part of our country.

Colin.

Thank you Colin! It is a do anything and everything type of holiday. I have got OH more interested in birds, but he can only take so much :D, but the walking, beaches and scenery will definitely appeal to him.

I have added to my list - thank you!

I live in Swansea and visit Pennard Cliffs a lot. It is probably the best place on Gower for Choughs, and also good for Dartford Warblers (try the large gorse patch near the National Trust car park for the latter). Peregrines could be seen anywhere, but Mewslade and Fall Bays near Rhossili could be the best spots. Check the Glamorgan Bird Club's website for the latest sightings.
Good luck, and have a great time!
P.S. - I try to avoid Port Eynon itself at busy times as it seems to be a chav haven: common people with tattoos and loud 'music' blaring out from their souped-up chavmobiles and their tents on the local campsites. Rhossili and Pennard Cliffs attract a much better class of person - i.e., me!

Last edited:
Ah thank you, Jeremy! I have added that to my notes. Oh dear. Chavs, eh? Will make sure to avoid Port Eyon then! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back