• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New SLC is on the way... (1 Viewer)

Has Swaro updated the Habicht with SwaroÜberDüper™ AR coatings?

Have you compared the Habicht to an 8x30 SLC Neu?

I tried an 8.5x 2001 EL and a 2009 8x30 SLC side by side, and the coatings are much improved on the SLC. Colors really pop, contrast is noticeably better. The color bias is more neutral, and there is also less CA (not that the original EL had an objectionable amount).

The EL is still be better of the two bins in terms of resolution, DOF, depth of focus, 3-D effect, low light performance, ergonomics, and close focus, but I can "clearly" see the difference the updated coatings (and perhaps more advanced glass) make in the SLC's more "transparent" image.

The EL still holds up quite well, considering the innovations that manufacturers have made over the past decade, but I'm sure a 2009 EL would be even more impressive.

I have an 8x32 SE and 8x30 EII, so I'm covered in the midsized category. When the clouds roll in and don't roll out for week at a time, it would be nice to have a full sized bin with the latest (or next to latest) coatings.

I'm hoping the prices drop on the pre-HD SLCs after the HD's are released. We might see a spate of trade-in refurbs from Swaro.

Brock:

I think you bring up some points that do merit more discussion. I am wondering
about how the SLC HD, does compare with the latest pre-swarovision Swaro. EL, and SLC.
From what Swaro. has told us all of the latest 2009 Anniversary models, SLC and EL, have had the latest SV coatings, Swarotop, and from what I have seen they are very good. I think Swaro. has done a very good job on the latest coatings.

So, now that gets us talking about HD glass. I have some experience with HD glass, and it does make me wonder about how much of an improvement it really offers.
In my opinion, for most users, it may be the coatings that count just as much as the glass composition, and engineering of the whole package. I am thinking that too much is made about the greatness of HD glass.

An example may be the Leica Utravid BR, vs the HD. Is there really much difference? Or are we just picking nits?

I guess more will offer opinions here as the new SLC HD gets some looks.

As far as the Nikon SE, just enjoy it. ;) You are able to enjoy a great view.
Just a classic excellent design.

Jerry

Last edited:
Brock:

I think you bring up some points that do merit more discussion. I am wondering
about how the SLC HD, does compare with the latest pre-swarovision Swaro. EL, and SLC.
From what Swaro. has told us all of the latest 2009 Anniversary models, SLC and EL, have had the latest SV coatings, Swarotop, and from what I have seen they are very good. I think Swaro. has done a very good job on the latest coatings.

So, now that gets us talking about HD glass. I have some experience with HD glass, and it does make me wonder about how much of an improvement it really offers.
In my opinion, for most users, it may be the coatings that count just as much as the glass composition, and engineering of the whole package. I am thinking that too much is made about the greatness of HD glass.

An example may be the Leica Utravid BR, vs the HD. Is there really much difference? Or are we just picking nits?

I guess more will offer opinions here as the new SLC HD gets some looks.

As far as the Nikon SE, just enjoy it. ;) You are able to enjoy a great view.
Just a classic excellent design.

Jerry

Dear Jerry, I think you also hit on a few very important points. The design and serial-production implementation of coatings is incredibly to the optical quality of binoculars, but it is by no means the only important point. HD glass does make a difference, BUT just replacing out a couple of lenses with HD lenses does not make any great difference. Without a complete optical system re-design, HD lenses will always just be a marketing ploy with no real benefit to the birder.

At the end of the day, it is the entire package that makes a great binocular. Great coatings, great optical design, great engineering, quality materials and high quality control.

We are happy with the way the SLC HD turned out but only time will tell whether birders share our enthusiasm.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back