• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski New binocular launch (1 Viewer)

Brock my friend,

It seems to me that you want Swarovski to manufacture the SV to your interpretation of perfection when they have clearly gotten it right for an awful lot of owners globally as it is, everywhere I visit Birding in the UK the most numerous Alpha hanging from necks is overwhelmingly the Swarovski, this may slowly change now as more people investigate the Zeiss SF.

I doubt any one looking to buy and reading your posts on this thread is thinking "ah ha, this guy`s switched on, you can`t beat user experience".

But you can see through a non user "experience".

Jan

personal attacks. Last week, I sent a complaint about this to the powers that be, but they didn't respond nor do anything about it

<B>

Brock
Perhaps they noticed you beginning a post with 'Ugh. Forgot it was you' and thought you complaining about folks getting personal was a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Lee

If you were paying close attention, you would have noticed that my responses were in direct proportion to The Defenders denials and personal attacks. Last week, I sent a complaint about this to the powers that be, but they didn't respond nor do anything about it,. so this week, I felt I had no choice but to defend my honor.

Even if I can't read their posts unless someone replies to them, if they only replied to each other that would be better, although others would still get to see their nasty comments, and that peeves me. Plus, I'm outnumbered so each return volley has to hit multiple targets like a MERV. If the return fire seems disproportional, that's why.

You know, I actually do like Swaro bins, my second favorite brand, in fact, they are just priced too high for my budget (and I think simply priced too high), but given the company's unofficial No Fault Policy, I would buy one if I ever found a sweet deal and my pig's feet jars were full, though more likely an SLC than EL.

I don't like wonky focusers on any bin, no matter what the price point or stiff ones or ones that turn too fast. Last week I was using three Nikon bins - M5, P7 and SE - and the focuser tension and speed on all were right in "my zone."

Except for the SE, the other two are inexpensive bins, and yet Nikon still was able to make the focusers w/out flaws. Why can't Swaro? Why isn't anybody else asking that question? Why isn't Swaro being proactive about this issue the way they were with the RB, which even the latest Defender recruit acknowledged.

That's all I'm saying, or at least that's all I would be saying if I weren't besieged by hostile forces. My beef isn't with Swaro, it's with the handful of Swaro owners who See No Evil, Hear No Evil, and Speak No Evil about their brand (and their new recruits).

It's a big mystery why some Swaro focusers work fine and others don't. They all have the same mechanisms, so what's different from sample to sample? These are legitimate questions, which I've tried to ask rationally, but I keep getting caught up in the drama that others create in their relentless blind allegiance to their brand, which they closely identify with, like Arthur said. So to them, an attack on their brand, is an attack on them. It's also my fault for foolishly taking the bait.

Well, since nobody that has any authority will stop them, and now I have even you complaining about it, I will bid you adieu and start posting on 24hrcampfire where I'm revered. :flyaway:

And here they come again, trumpets a' blastin'...

<B>
Why do you think Swarovski binoculars are , "simply priced too high"?
What do you think they should sell for?

What "honor" are you defending? Your arguments are purely second-hand, anecdotal, statistically meaningless and quite silly to countless happy owners.

Again, Swarovski builds a fine instrument and you are quite wrong about their focuser. I've probably handled 30-40 Swaros, we own three, and not a single one failed to focus on the subject.

Have a great day! :t:

Here is a picture-based description of all (?) updates of the SV line---were they really needed? I heard people asking for some, such as a rubber rainguard, and Swarovski Optik has listened. I am not sure why, but I guess I like the current SV looks better. Peter

Attaching the image that I got from Swaro has not worked---I have not figured out how to do it.

Last edited:
Pasting the image does not appear to work (for me), so here is a list w/o any picture:
-softer eyepiece cover for improved flexibility and noise reduction
-fully armored non-slip focusing wheel for comfortable focusing (this should be an improvement)
-diopter adjustment lock function (potentially useful to some)
-integrated objective lens covers
-lift carrying strap with quick catch button
-new position for logo and emblem
-new strap connector (can rotate 360deg)

Peter.

In a 45+ year birding 'career' I have used binoculars of a number of brands including Zeiss East, Zeiss West, Optlyth Alpin and Swarovski SLC and EL as I have gradually upgraded as finances allowed. The only model that gave me problems wth RB or 'barreling' as we referred to it then, was the Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 BGAT. It also had a focusser that failed catastrophically part way through a trip to Nepal - not good! Best value by far was the Zeiss 10x50 Jenoptem; optically excellent and built like a tank but very heavy. I'm currently using a non-SV Swarovski 8x32 EL with which I'm 100% delighted; not a hint of RB, superlative image and ergonomics and a fault-free - if a little slow - focusser. For me, the largely cosmetic improvements to the EL range are merely 'marking time' and an effort to attract new adherents at the upcoming Bird Fair. The new strap attachment mechanism is a grossly over-engineered solution to what is a very minor annoyance at most. As the limits of physics are approached, the laws of diminishing returns are starting to kick in and minimal increases in optical performance need cosmetic changes to help justify further price hikes.

Hello Rotherbirder:

I agree that these are mostly cosmetic changes. A real issue of the SV 32 series, and IMO the only one, is the glare/flare that shows its ugly head in certain cases, and addressing/fixing this issue does not seem to be on the list of "new improved features". It will be interesting to see if the new SV series will be priced higher than the "old one"...I hope there will be no price hike, but rather discounted prices for the discontinued model....

Peter.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back