• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swarovski EL? (1 Viewer)

Kind of surprising that there are stray light issues. I've always considered that a Swaro strength.

Yes, it is one of their strengths, but this isn't "your father's Swarovski". They've made a lot of changes on the new EL they haven't tried before.

As we've seen with other new designs, issues can arise, such as the original Victory (>CA, uncomfortable strap lug), Victory FL (>pincushion, "fuzzy edges"), Ultravid (stiff focusers), Nikon LX L (>CA, lower contrast on bright targets), ZR 7x36 (the infamous "gray crescent"), Nikon EDG (loose focuser cap), and so on...

However, I wouldn't take my comments about stray light as "gospel". From the description it does sounds like the "ring of fire" on outer 20% of the Octarem, but I haven't tried the new EL. The outer "haze" could be caused by another issue.

For example, I've also observed this effect on wide field bins with a lot of field curvature. The unfocused light forms a bright ring near the edges, which Bill Thompson III, the editor of Bird Watcher's Digest, called "the Coke bottle effect" when referring to this on the Eagle Optics 8x42 Rapter porro.

However, since the EL uses field flatterners, I think we can safely rule out defocused light as the problem.

When the new EL is released next year, if more people report they are disturbed by this same issue, the experts will bench test the bin and identify and quantify the problem.

Since two samples showed the same effect, it's unlikely this is due to sample variation.

So something is "up" but exactly what remains to be identified.

on the rolling ball effect Brock said "However, my friend Steve got used to the rolling ball in the LX after 3 days."

More like 3 seconds

I tested the 8.5x42 version of the new EL, yesterday at a UK show.
Pretty disappointed to be honest.
The rolling globe affect for me was enormous. They were also darker compared to my Zeiss FL's. Additionally when viewing bright light sources I found a unusual bright circular distortion around the outer 20% of the FOV.
I've had the EL's on pre-order for the last 4 months and been looking forward to owning a pair for the last 17 months.
Unfortunately, if the pair I receive in Jan 2010 are the same as the pair I tested yesterday, I will not be not be buying them and stick with my Zeiss FL's.

Tim

I've got the EL 8.5x42 EL and find them very enjoyable, as most do. I am not bothered by "rolling ball", in fact, what is it?

I hope most here will not get too put off by one "quick" review here. ;)

I am sure by the time Jan. comes around there will be plenty of comments.

I've got the EL 8.5x42 EL and find them very enjoyable, as most do. I am not bothered by "rolling ball", in fact, what is it?

I hope most here will not get too put off by one "quick" review here. ;)

I am sure by the time Jan. comes around there will be plenty of comments.

I have the current production EL 8.5x. It does not have rolling ball effect either. I think the other member was referring to the new EL that will be released next year.

I have the current production EL 8.5x. It does not have rolling ball effect either. I think the other member was referring to the new EL that will be released next year.

I just don't want one quick review to put these down too much. I'm sure
much has gone behind the development of these.

NDhunter said:

I think "rolling ball effect" is something that happens to your anatomy when you decide you don't like a binocular that you just paid $2,500 for.

just noticed that the pre-order price has finished at in-focus , price for 8.5x42 now £1745 ! .
first batch snapped up eh !...

just noticed that the pre-order price has finished at in-focus , price for 8.5x42 now £1745 ! .
first batch snapped up eh !...

The WHATS NEW section of the website still has the pre order price of £1579.
Had a returned phone call from In-Focus this morning and was able to place an order at the pre-order price over the phone. They have been told by Swarovski to advertise at the full price of £1745. That is why all outlets are advertising at the same price.

I think "rolling ball effect" is something that happens to your anatomy when you decide you don't like a binocular that you just paid $2,500 for.

everyone is different. some people are sensitive to it, while others don't. One thing I like European binoculars better than japanese ones is because many japanese binos (not all of them, of course) tend to use narrow fov and also do not have enough pin-cushion.

I know this is really, really sad, and I´m trying hard to work on the "bino-acquisition" thing, but lastnight I dreamt the new Swaro EL´s arrived. They were truly stunning, genuinely walk-in view, but there was one niggly problem that disturbed me a little.....and I can´t remember now what it was!!!:eek!:

The death of your bank account? ;)

I know this is really, really sad, and I´m trying hard to work on the "bino-acquisition" thing, but lastnight I dreamt the new Swaro EL´s arrived. They were truly stunning, genuinely walk-in view, but there was one niggly problem that disturbed me a little.....and I can´t remember now what it was!!!:eek!:

The Swarovision are finally being advertised here now for ~295,000 yen. That is 900% more expensive than the Swift Audubon 8.5x44mm ED! Anyone wanna bet their respective materials costs ex labor are nearly identical?,

Last edited:
I don't dream about bino's Sancho and I hope I never do. They are tools just like my drills, hammers and saws. If I ever start have dreams about those I will take it as a sign I need a new life.

happy holidays,
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back