• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review Swarovski Swarovision EL 8x32 WB (1 Viewer)

Edz measured the close focus magnification of a few binoculars, and they all showed increased magnification at close focus. However, the magnification only increased btwn .5x to .8x. The exception was the 6.5x Papilio, which jumped to 8x at 2 ft.

Here's the thread. Edz's post is #10:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=118028

As Henry pointed out, the barrel overlap is quite noticeable at 10 ft. in the 8x32 SE. I can fit most birds in the "cat eye" but the view is certainly not as comfortable as the round circle view of the 8x32 LX at 6 ft or even my 8x30 EII at 7 ft. I'm surprised the EII doesn't show a similar level of barrel overlap as the SE, but it doesn't, at least not to my eyes. Quite comfortable at close focus.

I do, however, prefer roofs for butterflying and DVD case spotting. :)

"Sharpness" is subjective and is affected by your eye's acuity, contrast, color balance, lighting, and hand shake.

Boosted resolution measurement is a much more reliable method of comparison although the quality of the optics in the booster can vary from brand to brand and unit to unit. So even there, some variation could exist, which might explain why not all boosted measurements agree 100%, but they are usually much closer than subjective tests of "sharpness," which can vary wildly.

In any case, it's not the boosted magnification that we see in the field but the 8x or 10x magnification of the binoculars, and if one bin appears "sharper" to one person than another, given the variables, it's not surprising.

Regardless if the 8x32 SE "edges" out the 8x32 EDG or vice versa or the 8x32 SV EL or whatever other midsized alpha you want to compare it to, it's at least very close, and most importantly, the SE costs a fraction of the price of an alpha roof.

No, you don't get all the bells and whistles, and for some WP is a "must," but I, for one, am glad that Nikon is making the SE and improving the coatings, and still selling them in the U.S. It will be a mournful day for porro fans and birders on a budget when the SE disappears from the landscape.

Get one before you have to fly to China to view an SE in Fan Tao's Binocular Museum. :)

<B>

As Henry pointed out, the barrel overlap is quite noticeable at 10 ft. in the 8x32 SE. I can fit most birds in the "cat eye" but the view is certainly not as comfortable as the round circle view of the 8x32 LX at 6 ft or even my 8x30 EII at 7 ft. I'm surprised the EII doesn't show a similar level of barrel overlap as the SE, but it doesn't, at least not to my eyes. Quite comfortable at close focus.

Brock,

The EII shows better overlap than the SE because the apparent field is larger. The centers of the field circles are about equally far apart in both binoculars at the same distance, but the EII circles are larger, so they overlap more.

The LX has particularly good overlap, even by roof standards, because the objective spacing is unusually narrow. The centers of the objectives are a little closer together than the centers of the eyepieces.

Henry

Another thing, besides geometry, that contributes to the closest focus performance is the manner of field correction. If the edge blur is dominated by field curvature, which can be focused away, the near view can be made very sharp. If off axis astigmatism is strong however, there will be some blurring and loss of detail.
Ron

Holy FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monster). Does every thread on BF binoforum these days have to turn into an SE fight? Don't get me wrong, I've owned two 8x32 SE's and liked them both (505 & 550), but for various reasons I prefer, atm, other binoculars. This thread started as a binomania review of the SV 8x32. For the pugnacious, there's always Religion, Social Economy or Sports if you really want to get into Donnybrooks. Some people like one binocular. Other folks prefer another. No biggie. Are there any other SV 8x32 owners (or testers) out there who'd like to share their views? Meanwhile, if any of us want to hear the virtues of the SE extolled, believe me, we know where to go!

Last edited:
Holy FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monster). Does every thread on BF binoforum these days have to turn into an SE fight? Don't get me wrong, I've owned two 8x32 SE's and liked them both (505 & 550), but for various reasons I prefer, atm, other binoculars. This thread started as a binomania review of the SV 8x32. For the pulcrictudinous, there's always Religion, Social Economy or Sports if you really want to get into Donnybrooks. Some people like one binocular. Other folks prefer another. No biggie. Are there any other SV 8x32 owners (or testers) out there who'd like to share their views? Meanwhile, if any of us want to hear the virtues of the SE extolled, believe me, we know where to go!

Amen. Everyone loves the SE as almost every thread turns into an SE fest.

But when the SV is mentioned the teeth and claws come out. Is it worth $2400? No. Is it awesome? No doubt. My SV focus is now smooth and I'll take the rolling ball for the "holy crap" view. Take the crap test, just bring fresh underwear.

Last edited:
Not everyone! From the comments I read here, anyone would get the impression that 'rolling ball' is such a problem that the moment you see it you should automatically avoid it like the plague and sell or return that binocular ASAP. I think that is misguided, but anyone who wants to spend that amount of money should be allowed to field test the binocular outside in a variety of settings. Lots of dealers organise field days and most will also match internet prices on something like a Swarovski.

Some may find it odd at first glance. Some may find that they prefer something else. Some may ignore it perfectly well. Some may find that they cannot accommodate the effect and cannot use it at all. You can't know until you test it.

I didn't see a globe effect in the 8.5x42 just having a quick look through a friend's binocular in a large field. I didn't see it in the 10x50 SV when I was in the shop. As soon as I tested one outside at a nature reserve with woodland I saw the globe effect. It felt odd! I wondered about it, read about it, worried about it, looked at other 50mm and 56mm options, worried about it some more, decided that I would never really know what the SV was really like until I gave it a long term fair shake and finally broke down and bought my own (thanks Ingle1970 :t: ). I'll let you know how I get on!

Excellent, which one did you buy? I am sure you won't die of rolling ball. Warning, You might get shocked by the beauty though :-O

Dennis on may 6th I posted this:-

The only eye`s to trust is one`s own, and if they show an SE to be as good as an EDG it IS, whether Holger, Dennis or anyone else thinks differently.

To which you responded:-

It doesn't mean it IS as an absolute. It just means it IS to YOU.

So which is it ? Are you saying only your eyes are absolute ?

Torview, I agree, the best view is the one you think is best. As long as you actually look through it.

http://leisure.swarovskioptik.com/en/leisure_see-the-unseen

Last edited:
Edz measured the close focus magnification of a few binoculars, and they all showed increased magnification at close focus. However, the magnification only increased btwn .5x to .8x. The exception was the 6.5x Papilio, which jumped to 8x at 2 ft.

I do, however, prefer roofs for butterflying and DVD case spotting. :)

"Sharpness" is subjective and is affected by your eye's acuity, contrast, color balance, lighting, and hand shake.

Boosted resolution measurement is a much more reliable method of comparison although the quality of the optics in the booster can vary from brand to brand and unit to unit. So even there, some variation could exist, which might explain why not all boosted measurements agree 100%, but they are usually much closer than subjective tests of "sharpness," which can vary wildly.

In any case, it's not the boosted magnification that we see in the field but the 8x or 10x magnification of the binoculars, and if one bin appears "sharper" to one person than another, given the variables, it's not surprising.

Regardless if the 8x32 SE "edges" out the 8x32 EDG or vice versa or the 8x32 SV EL or whatever other midsized alpha you want to compare it to, it's at least very close, and most importantly, the SE costs a fraction of the price of an alpha roof.

No, you don't get all the bells and whistles, and for some WP is a "must," but I, for one, am glad that Nikon is making the SE and improving the coatings, and still selling them in the U.S. It will be a mournful day for porro fans and birders on a budget when the SE disappears from the landscape.

Get one before you have to fly to China to view an SE in Fan Tao's Binocular Museum. :)

<B>
Looks to me like all the binoculars Edz measured had an increase in magnification at 10 feet including the roofs. What makes Henry think the EDG would have a decrease in magnification? Even if there is a small difference in magnification that is not what is increasing the apparent resolution I see. I asked Nikon about variation of magnification at different distances with the EDG and SE and they said the magnification was consistent at all distances which contradicts Edz testing.

Another thing, besides geometry, that contributes to the closest focus performance is the manner of field correction. If the edge blur is dominated by field curvature, which can be focused away, the near view can be made very sharp. If off axis astigmatism is strong however, there will be some blurring and loss of detail.
Ron
I think that is a better explanation of what I am seeing than the "Increasing Magnification Theory". What I am seeing is resolution not bigger images.

Brock,

The EII shows better overlap than the SE because the apparent field is larger. The centers of the field circles are about equally far apart in both binoculars at the same distance, but the EII circles are larger, so they overlap more.

The LX has particularly good overlap, even by roof standards, because the objective spacing is unusually narrow. The centers of the objectives are a little closer together than the centers of the eyepieces.

Henry

Henry,

Thanks for that explanation about the 8x30 EII.

<B>

I asked Nikon about variation of magnification at different distances with the EDG and SE and they said the magnification was consistent at all distances which contradicts Edz testing.

Of all the dubious verbage I have heard spill from your lips lately, this surely is a Moby Dick moment to me.

I'll believe it as soon as I finish eating this watermelon in my back pocket.;)

Tom

Looks to me like all the binoculars Edz measured had an increase in magnification at 10 feet including the roofs. What makes Henry think the EDG would have a decrease in magnification? Even if there is a small difference in magnification that is not what is increasing the apparent resolution I see. I asked Nikon about variation of magnification at different distances with the EDG and SE and they said the magnification was consistent at all distances which contradicts Edz testing.

When I asked my secret Nikon contact the same thing, they told me not to listen to Dennis as his contact was the janitor.

So if I`m understanding this, a porro, with external focus moves the eyepiece further from the objective at its minimum focus thus increasing the focal length and correspondingly the magnification, however, a roof uses a floating internal lens to focus the image keeping the focal length unchanged.

Makes sense to me.

So if I`m understanding this, a porro, with external focus moves the eyepiece further from the objective at its minimum focus thus increasing the focal length and correspondingly the magnification, however, a roof uses a floating internal lens to focus the image keeping the focal length unchanged.

Makes sense to me.
Why do all the binoculars Edz tested have greater magnification @ close distance including the roofs. Just disproved Henry's theory. HaHa!

Last edited:
Of all the dubious verbage I have heard spill from your lips lately, this surely is a Moby Dick moment to me.

I'll believe it as soon as I finish eating this watermelon in my back pocket.;)

Tom
You would know of all people. You would be good at recognizing a moment like that! Isn't there another thread about some REALLY CHEAP new binoculars coming out. Maybe Barska or Tasco has a new model. May you could go over there and voice your opinion. HaHa!

Last edited:
Custodial engineer?

He did say he spoke to an engineer at Nikon.
Jealous of my insider knowledge. HaHa! Now I can disprove all these far fetched theories with somebody that really knows the facts instead of the arm chair opticians we have on Bird Forum. So be careful what you say. You might make an idiot out of yourself. You hear that Henry? I will be the new leader on here. You will come to me when you want to know the facts and when the new Nikon Models are coming out. I am the new optical god of bird forum. Maybe I should charge for information! HaHa!

Last edited:
Hi, SV is better than Se also for contrast in the center of the Fov. minimal but advertible.. Obviously the difference of price is high. The SE has a great value for money

Pier, thanks for posting this review. I loved the 8.5x42 Swarovision, I am sure I would feel the same with the 32mm model.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back