• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL 8x32 SV: the story continues (1 Viewer)

Maybe all Swaro focusers are in fact the same and perfectly consistent, instead, maybe an individuals preference, perception or expectation of focusers in general is what causes these differing reports.

After all some say an FL is washed out while another will say the same binocular is bright and contrast rich.

Personally I doubt there`s much wrong with any Swaro focuser within acceptable sample variation.

Maybe all Swaro focusers are in fact the same and perfectly consistent, instead, maybe an individuals preference, perception or expectation of focusers in general is what causes these differing reports.

After all some say an FL is washed out while another will say the same binocular is bright and contrast rich.

Personally I doubt there`s much wrong with any Swaro focuser within acceptable sample variation.

Is that based on your own experience or did you read that in Psychology Today? ;)

I've tried six Swaros. Only two out of six turned smoothly in both directions, and one of those was made 25 years ago w/out internal focus and probably had a different focuser mechanism since it did not have internal focus.

The issues on the newer samples spanned the gamut from taking two fingers to turn one way (would you consider that "within acceptable sample variation?") to two being somewhat harder to turn in one direction than the other to being subtly different one way than the other to being smooth turning with proper amount of "sticktion." I'll try that singular good sample again in the fall at the "Big Sit" to see if it still turns smoothly after five years.

No doubt some people may be more sensitive to differences in sticktion than others, but that's different than not being able to detect the difference at all. Even Steve (mooreorleess), who is not bothered by the somewhat harder to turn in one direction focuser on his 8x30 SLC, noticed this issue with the 10x42 SLC-HD before I did. I didn't notice it until I focused at close range. At a distance there wasn't much need to focus or focus quickly, which is why you rarely hear complaints about the focuser from hunters.

The 10x42 SLC-HD's focuser was the second best I tired, I could have lived with it being a bit harder to turn in one direction on the 10x, but probably not on the 8x42, where I'd be focusing more at closer distances.

There are just too many users reporting the same issues with Swaro focusers to write them all off as "perceptual" unless it's a case of mass hysteria. :smoke:

<B>

Depends how you define experience, I`v tried all the current and recent Swaro`s at my local outlet and the focus has never been one of the considerations that stopped me buying.

All the one`s I`v tried have been more than fine to me, all have required a little more effort in one direction ( a very little) but as it was across the range I`d call that consistent.

To my eyes the old El and Slc neu always showed a purpleish fringe on bright objects and had a bit too much PC for my tastes, the SV`s are magnificent if the optics are rock steady but show a very peculiar image with even a tiny pan or shake, to me at least.

However I will say that nothing from any of the Alpha`s has ever matched the focus on my Viking MD 6.5x32 which could be the benchmark for every other to emulate.

I mentioned this in the past when I had the beautiful little Swaro CL 8x30. It had what I called
a subtle 'speedbump' in one spot. Others here I think refer to this as a little 'notchy'.
I just didn't care and never thought of sending it back to get it smoothed out. It was fine
and did not hinder me out in the field and never bothered me. But, I can understand how some might be bothered by it.
There was always something about each bin I've owned that was not perfect...gotta live with it
and it's easy to live with if almost everything else about the bino is great. It's only when there are a few things that begin
to bother me when I feel it isn't the right fit for me. My Leupold Katmai has a stiff focus and is just terrible in the winter.
This bothers me and I will eventually get around to calling Leupold (no response with online support/emails) to see if they
can take it in and make it smoother.

Last edited:
The two EL SVs, and one SLC that I tried at Bird Fair last year, and the SLC I had for the 15x shootout I did, all had nice focusers.

Swaros are the commonest bins I see in the UK being carried by birders so I really can't believe that many current Swaros suffer from focusitis.

Lee

I have owned two Swarovski 8x42 SLC (the newest one and the HD version) and maybe tried 8-10 other Swarovski binoculars. Only 1 of them have had a perfect focuser - silky smooth and with the same tension at both directions. That specimen was the latest Swarovski 8x42 SLC that I tried last saturday.

I am an admitted Swaro junkie, having owned 3 pair in the past 6 years. I love the product, and the company behind it. I handled the "new" SLC hd 8x42 version just this morning at my buddy's shop. Guess what? Focuser basically sucked.....gritty feel, not smooth at all. It could very well smooth out over time, but as is, lots to be desired. My previous version SLC HD always focused easier one direction than the other. Not a big deal, but not an alpha focuser by any stretch. Both Meoptas I have are far superior in this regard.

Brock said:"I've tried six Swaros. Only two out of six turned smoothly in both directions, and one of those was made 25 years ago w/out internal focus and probably had a different focuser mechanism since it did not have internal focus."

Brock if you are talking about the Swarovski 7x30 SLC I had, the objective lens moved back and forth inside the body, so it would still be internal focus, but not completely waterproof, there was no optical window in front of the objective lens like the 8x30 SLC neu has.BTW I can still turn the focus wheel with my tongue, although it is a little hard in the one direction.8-P:-O

Brock said:"I've tried six Swaros. Only two out of six turned smoothly in both directions, and one of those was made 25 years ago w/out internal focus and probably had a different focuser mechanism since it did not have internal focus."

Brock if you are talking about the Swarovski 7x30 SLC I had, the objective lens moved back and forth inside the body, so it would still be internal focus, but not completely waterproof, there was no optical window in front of the objective lens like the 8x30 SLC neu has.BTW I can still turn the focus wheel with my tongue, although it is a little hard in the one direction.8-P:-O

Steve:

If you use your binoculars with your tongue, be careful who you loaned
them to, before using. :smoke:

And the other way around, disclose that fact to the next user. ;)

I also find the 8x30 SLC focuser to be very light and smooth as glass.

Jerry

Steve:

If you use your binoculars with your tongue, be careful who you loaned
them to, before using. :smoke:

And the other way around, disclose that fact to the next user. ;)

I also find the 8x30 SLC focuser to be very light and smooth as glass.

Jerry

Steve wasn't referring to his 8x30 SLC but his old 7x30 SLC. The focuser turned smoothly in both directions on the 7x30 unlike his 8x30, which has the typical harder to turn in one direction movement, which is made worse by the fact that you need to use your ring finger (or tongue) to turn the knob rather than your index finger. OTOH, his 7x30's diopter knob was quite stiff whereas the 8x30's diopter is not.

So if it's not one thing, it's another. The only other Swaro I tried with a smooth focuser was the 8x32 EL WB, and I only handled that for about 10-15 minutes, shortest of all I tested. I don't think using them longer would have mattered, but I am interested in finding out how they held up over the past four years since I first tried them.

You're lucky if you got an 8x30 that focuses smooth in both directions. You remember how hard your 8.5x42's knob was to turn in one direction. Took me two fingers to turn. Steve's 8x30 wasn't nearly that stiff, but I'd like him to try chasing warblers at close to medium range with the SLC. Then I think he'd appreciate the difference between the focuser on the SLC vs. the smooth as a baby's bottom 8x32 LX.

Using the 8x30 SLC for hunting is a horse of a different COLOR.

As I've learned and as others have learned, Swaro focusers do not all operate with consistency. It's a crap shoot.

When I first suggested this with my remark about Swaro focsuers being the brand's "Achilles Heel," I got piled on, but as all can see post after post, thread after thread, by many more users than just me, Swaro focuser issues keep on being reported, but nobody seems to be listening in Absam. It's a shame, because this issue tarnishes otherwise excellent binoculars.

Brock

Last edited:
Brock my post #29 was somewhat tongue in cheek.:-O I couldn't see through it while doing this.;) I could still turn the focus knob though. I am sure anybody that has any interest in Swarovski binoculars would know that there could be problems with the focuser, just the same as anybody reading any of these threads would know that the Nikon full size LX series have RB also the SV, the little LX series had a too fast focuser, the Nikon SE series is one of the best buys you could make , oh wait you can't buy them new. Yes you can for the right price.
http://telescopes.net/store/7311-10-x-42-premier-se-binoculars.html

:eek!:

Brock my post #29 was somewhat tongue in cheek.:-O I couldn't see through it while doing this.;) I could still turn the focus knob though. I am sure anybody that has any interest in Swarovski binoculars would know that there could be problems with the focuser, just the same as anybody reading any of these threads would know that the Nikon full size LX series have RB also the SV, the little LX series had a too fast focuser, the Nikon SE series is one of the best buys you could make , oh wait you can't buy them new. Yes you can for the right price.
http://telescopes.net/store/7311-10-x-42-premier-se-binoculars.html

:eek!:

Finally a 10x42 SE at a price bh46118 would be happy with. ;)

I would hope that by now after so many reports and my dogged persistence in bringing the Swaro focuser issues to the fore that these issues would be, as you stated, as common knowledge as RB in the full sized LX series (another issue I helped raise awareness of before "rolling ball" was even a commonly coined term) and in the SV EL, and the too fast focusers on the 32mm LXs (and more recently, the Terra ED).

But let's not forget that this wasn't always the case. It took a lot of repetition, and I took a lot of grief from those few who insisted that there was absolutely nothing wrong with Swaro focsuers. Even one member who said he had tried 45 SV ELs and the focusers on all of them turned smoothly, which is astounding, considering how "hit and miss" others' experiences have been. And one member who tried a whole boxful of Swaros at an optics show and found EVERY ONE had a stiff, hard to turn focuser! I think at this point, the deniers don't have a leg to stand on, because the evidence to the contrary is overwhelming.

Still, not everybody is bothered by the focuser issues, particularly the harder to turn in one direction issue, you aren't. For some, unless the focuser is really bad like the "gritty" focuser mentioned above, it won't bother them, particularly those who bought their Swaros for hunting like you did.

That stiffness or squeakiness or whatever the issue is might work itself out in time, but the question is WHY can't Swaro make focusers that are smooth right out of the box like Nikon, Zeiss and other brands? Why a "break-in" period that might or might not resolve the problem?

Same with the RB, some owners have to wait days or weeks before the RB disappears, if it disappears. Why not put in enough pincushion so that anybody could pick up the SV EL and use it right out of the box they way the can an EDG or FL or HT or UV? The SE and EDG show that you can have your cake and eat it, too. If early reports are correct, so does the SF.

If I had deep pockets, I'd probably buy an SLC-HD (either 8x or 10x) because they are lower priced, I've seen them for as low as $1,400 new, but I'd want to buy one from a store where I could try several samples and pick the best of the lot like Frank does with his cheap ChinBins. But does having to "cherry pick" make sense with $1,799 to $2,600 binoculars?

The good thing is if there is a problem with one your ordered online, you can either send it back for another sample or send it to Swaro for repairs or replacement. However, not everybody who has done this has received a smooth turning focuser sample. Pier is a case in point. He sent two SV ELs in for repairs due to focuser issues, and the focusers still aren't smooth.

Swarovski gets just about everything else right with their SLCs and SV ELs - the sharp images, high contrast, good flare control (not on some models, though), good CA control, good to great edges, excellent eyecups, good to great ergonomics, best warranty/customer service, but they fall short when it comes to having consistency in their focusers. That "blind spot" seems inconsistent with the rest of their design and their philosophy of putting the customer first.

I've thought a lot about why they won't respond, and I can only imagine that besides not getting a proportional number of complaints from their main customers -hunters - they might be concerned that if they do fix the focuser issues with a redesign, everybody and his brother and his brother-in-law is going to send their one-way spring design focuser in for an upgrade, thinking they are missing out on something, and it's going to cost the company a fortune the way the ignition switch recalls are costing GM (its not the part, its absorbing the cost of the labor).

There's a saying in business, which my old boss used to repeat often: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

GM invented another saying - If is broke, pretend it's not and perhaps people will ignore it. We see how well that worked out. No, I'm not comparing the magnitude of the ignition switch problems with the Swaro focuser issues, but I am comparing the attitudes.

Brock

Last edited:
No Brock, this is a price BH would be happy with.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Superior-E-10x42-Binoculars-SE-Premier-/251617809921?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a95971601:-O If they didn't look a thousand years old. This pair may be proof of the durability of the much contemplated SE eye cup.

Serial number 001xxx, it was probably made around 1996 or 1997. Steve's was an 002xxx. They started with 000xxxx in 1995. So yes, it's an oldie for sure, but he said they are in excellent condition (and lathered in baby oil, it looks like). The eyecups are quite flared, he probably had them rolled down. I'd never get my oversized proboscis between the eyecups without getting pinched.

It won't give you the excellent contrast that the 050xxx had or your beloved 10x44 BP, but if he took care of it, the images will be sharp almost to the edge. If so, they are certainly worth $300, more if he had the original box (inside joke ;)).

He has 100% feedback with 536 deals, so that's positive. Better put in your bid, I know Steve will be bidding on these. Only $25 mooreorless than the pair he bought off eBay.

I'm holding out for a $550 050xxx. I think I might have a long wait.

Brock

Last edited:
Finally a 10x42 SE at a price bh46118 would be happy with. ;)

I would hope that by now after so many reports and my dogged persistence in bringing the Swaro focuser issues to the fore that these issues would be, as you stated, as common knowledge as RB in the full sized LX series (another issue I helped raise awareness of before "rolling ball" was even a commonly coined term) and in the SV EL, and the too fast focusers on the 32mm LXs (and more recently, the Terra ED).

But let's not forget that this wasn't always the case. It took a lot of repetition, and I took a lot of grief from those few who insisted that there was absolutely nothing wrong with Swaro focsuers. Even one member who said he had tried 45 SV ELs and the focusers on all of them turned smoothly, which is astounding, considering how "hit and miss" others' experiences have been. And one member who tried a whole boxful of Swaros at an optics show and found EVERY ONE had a stiff, hard to turn focuser! I think at this point, the deniers don't have a leg to stand on, because the evidence to the contrary is overwhelming.

Still, not everybody is bothered by the focuser issues, particularly the harder to turn in one direction issue, you aren't. For some, unless the focuser is really bad like the "gritty" focuser mentioned above, it won't bother them, particularly those who bought their Swaros for hunting like you did.

That stiffness or squeakiness or whatever the issue is might work itself out in time, but the question is WHY can't Swaro make focusers that are smooth right out of the box like Nikon, Zeiss and other brands? Why a "break-in" period that might or might not resolve the problem?

Same with the RB, some owners have to wait days or weeks before the RB disappears, if it disappears. Why not put in enough pincushion so that anybody could pick up the SV EL and use it right out of the box they way the can an EDG or FL or HT or UV? The SE and EDG show that you can have your cake and eat it, too. If early reports are correct, so does the SF.

If I had deep pockets, I'd probably buy an SLC-HD (either 8x or 10x) because they are lower priced, I've seen them for as low as $1,400 new, but I'd want to buy one from a store where I could try several samples and pick the best of the lot like Frank does with his cheap ChinBins. But does having to "cherry pick" make sense with $1,799 to $2,600 binoculars?

The good thing is if there is a problem with one your ordered online, you can either send it back for another sample or send it to Swaro for repairs or replacement. However, not everybody who has done this has received a smooth turning focuser sample. Pier is a case in point. He sent two SV ELs in for repairs due to focuser issues, and the focusers still aren't smooth.

Swarovski gets just about everything else right with their SLCs and SV ELs - the sharp images, high contrast, good flare control (not on some models, though), good CA control, good to great edges, excellent eyecups, good to great ergonomics, best warranty/customer service, but they fall short when it comes to having consistency in their focusers. That "blind spot" seems inconsistent with the rest of their design and their philosophy of putting the customer first.

I've thought a lot about why they won't respond, and I can only imagine that besides not getting a proportional number of complaints from their main customers -hunters - they might be concerned that if they do fix the focuser issues with a redesign, everybody and his brother and his brother-in-law is going to send their one-way spring design focuser in for an upgrade, thinking they are missing out on something, and it's going to cost the company a fortune the way the ignition switch recalls are costing GM (its not the part, its absorbing the cost of the labor).

There's a saying in business, which my old boss used to repeat often: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

GM invented another saying - If is broke, pretend it's not and perhaps people will ignore it. We see how well that worked out. No, I'm not comparing the magnitude of the ignition switch problems with the Swaro focuser issues, but I am comparing the attitudes.

Brock

Brock,

You have to give everyone else here credit too.

We have endured it with admirable patience on our parts! Although, having read it all before numerous times, I must admit that I did not read this post beyond the first sentence of your second paragraph.:smoke: ;)

Bob

Last edited:
Many thousands of Swarovski owners are perfectly happy with the operation of their focusers. Incessant din to the contrary is silly, at best.

No, it is just honest accurate reporting. Ninety-five happy owners don't negate the experiences of the other five.

--AP

Amen, brother, however, the number of those reporting issues with Swaro focusers is growing all the time, if I had to put a number to it, it would be more like 75/25, with 25 reporting issues they couldn't live with and who either returned the bin (someone did that very recently) or they sent it to Swaro for repairs.

Out of the 75 who were happy with their Swaro focusers, about 25 of those experienced some focuser issues, but they either resolved themselves like Ed's, or they weren't bothersome enough to return or get repaired, or they did send the bins in for repairs, but like like Piergiovanni, the problems weren't resolved, so they learned to live with them.

Then there's the .001% who still don't believe any focuser issues exist. Of course, they don't believe that Santa exists either, so wadda they know? ;)

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back