• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift 8.5x44mm BWCF Audubon (1 Viewer)

black crow

I have a new interest in Porro Prism binoculars. I have some now that really overwhelm my roof prism binoculars such as the Kowa Genesis, Meopro and others. I have heard however that this Swift model was a better binocular in the past and that swift was taken over by another company when they were facing bankruptcy. Maybe that's all rumor. What do you think of the optical quality of this binocular now? Would you say it can challenge some of the alphas in optical quality?

How many versions are there and which are considered good? I know there are more than one but I only find one for sale and that's the one I put up on the OP title
It' sells on Amazon for a little over $300. All of my binoculars are 33mm or less. I'd like one bigger for late evening viewing.

BC, I had the last iteration of this bin (ED version). I think it was 465 USD from Adorama .....

You need the ED glass version (I have doubts the one you mention is , for that price).

I gave a full run down of it including photos in the dedicated thread.

There is much to like about it. Lots actually. Great CA handling, that porro 'clarity', Nice stereopsis, and extra wide field (though with fuzzy edges).

For me though, ultimately I returned it due to problems with veiling glare (I wear glasses when viewing, and ER was marginal, though I think poorly controlled glare is an inherent feature based on the bin's rough as guts internal construction). Swift was in the process of going belly up and were incommunicado - completely AWOL. Big kudos to Adorama who saved my bacon. Great service above and beyond :t: (I made a dedicated thread about that too).

Seriously suggest you check out my posts in the dedicated Swift thread for more details. Perhaps you could get a talented screw turner to "hot rod" one for you :)

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
I have a '96 Audubon model 804b(1) H/5 Multi-Coated 8.5x44. Pleasant wide view w/o overwhelming pincushion. Chromatic aberration is reasonably well controlled from dead center to at least 30% looking at a limb in front of the sun through overcast sky.

Not the FMC or ED, but overall a most enjoyable view.

Last edited:
Why was the elkcub thread posted after mine hawking a couple of old Swift bins deleted?

ETA:
Thanks Lee. I merely found it a mite odd when the entire thread was deleted, due unto a small offending section, that could've been edited at ease; keeping the meat whilst disposing the bones.

Last edited:
The message was deleted by elkcub and might have been because there is another place on BirdForum that is expressly provided for the purposes of selling kit.

Lee

Sorry folks,

I deleted the post after looking at current eBay listings. It seemed to me that I couldn't expect to get enough out of my HR/5 specimens to make selling them worthwhile. That, and the fact that I should really post sales items on the proper thread.

Here is most of the text:

Renze de Vries and I posted an extensive 804 Audubon history back in 2005 (see*HERE). It should have been updated, I admit, but most of the new information is contained in posts later in the thread.

Having examined all the model variants and compared them to Nikon SE and EII porros, which I owned for a while, I would certainly rate the multicoated HR/5 models at an equal or superior level. The 804 ED was truly spectacular in allowing subtle chromatic distinctions to be made on bird plumage that I never experienced before or since. Unfortunately, with advancing age the eye relief on all these porro binoculars became marginal, so I recently sold my beloved 804ED to a woman who really appreciates them (and I believe Renze sold his too.)

(sale info deleted)

In my opinion the standard (i.e., non-ED) Swift 804 and 826 Audubons are among the best Porros ever made for birding or nature viewing. The Model 826 Kestrel-Audubon is the 10x50 big-brother to the Audubon. Very rare nowadays.

Bill Cook might chime in with his thoughts.

Ed

Last edited:
What a shame that such fine optics have been discontinued so that inferior products can be mass marketed at a better profit margin. Or am I missing something?

What a shame that such fine optics have been discontinued so that inferior products can be mass marketed at a better profit margin. Or am I missing something?
Yes, you are. People got tired of big, bulky porros and when roof prism bins embodied enough of the desired characteristics (size, weight, water/fog proofing, etc.) people shelved their porros and started buying roofs.

It's sort of like 7X42's. Lots of people praise them; few buy them. I remember the Nikon rep coming here to say he pushed for a 7X42 EDG and that people better buy them...something along those lines. Well, they made them and few bought them. Swarovski had a great 7X42, Nikon's 7X42 EDG was phenomenal, Zeiss produced a few superb 7X42's and Leica had the 7X42 Trinovid and a few variations of the 7X42 Ultravid. What's left? The Leica 7X42 is the lone roof survivor and you can special order a 7X42 Habicht (porro). The market rules, plain and simple.

PS
I know there are other 7X42's but in the alpha world Leica is about it.

Hi BC,

For convenience I've attached a compressed version of our 2005 paper "The inimitable Swift Model 804 ..." I can't add much to what we wrote on pg. 20-23. The market evolves.

Over the years I've purchased only four new binoculars, three Swaro roofs and one Leica roof. The remainder of my collection (~40) were purchased used, including all of the Swift Audubons, and many of them needing collimation. The same opportunity exists as we speak (hint). ;) Some appear to be in mint condition from the late 1990s.

Ed

Attachments

• The Inimitable 804 Binoculars.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 148
In my opinion the standard (i.e., non-ED) Swift 804 and 826 Audubons are among the best Porros ever made for birding or nature viewing.
Ed

Would you care to give us a few more words about the Swift Audubon's excellence.

Crusty

Hi Crusty,

I'd recommend browsing through THIS thread.

In particular, Pinewood (post #17) provides an excellent comparative review against the SE and E2.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back