• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 7x42 BN (1 Viewer)

Robert Moore

I just got a pair of 7x42 BN binoculars and just wanted to share. I had a pair of the 7x42BA back in the 90s and really liked them. It was actually my first premium binocular. I sold it a long time ago and always missed it. There is something about them that I really like. I love the leather stay on case and I just think they ( classy ) looking. I found these in mint condition.

The Leica 7x has always impressed me, and I was happy to have the opportunity to purchase a NIB Ultravid HD about a month or so back. I actually had seen a pair of 7x42 BN for sale just after I got them and may have gotten them instead, if I'd seen them before I bought mine. Optically the BN still seems like it was far ahead of its time; I know several experienced birders and other biologists who lug their old bricks around ...

Justin

Congratulations on your acquisition Robert! :t:

I have one of them with that classy leather stay on case too.:king:

Bob

That's a fine binocular! It's so user-friendly...very well made and a classic! Now don't sell them or trade them! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_3518.jpg
    IMG_3518.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 267
That's a fine binocular! It's so user-friendly...very well made and a classic! Now don't sell them or trade them! ;)[/QUOTE.

Thanks Chuck. I will try not to. It is a classic and a keeper. My wife says I have a sickness that I always want something new. I guess for me it is just fun to try all the different binoculars that’s why I trade.

Thanks,
Rob

I'll give you my green 8x42BA (that I bought in 1993) when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.
Cherish your 7x42BN, lucky man.

Rob, nice find. Keep 'em. Especially because they are green.

The other day last year in winter when I arrived by suburban train in the town where I work it was quite early, 6 a. m., when I had some time and made a stroll to the camera store next to the railway station there was a 7x42 BA in the store window. The price was somewhere at 400 Euros. When I came back during lunch brake the binos were gone! The binos weren't in what you call mint or pristine condition but overall well used and not abused.

I think I saw this binocular on B&H's site a few weeks ago for $599 or $699 in 8 or 9 condition if I remember correctly. I thought about buying them but when I looked the next morning they were gone. I should have acted when I had the chance.

I had a pair of BNs (8x42) for many years - I loved pretty much everything about them, but the weight got tiresome during a long walk. I only exchanged them for something lighter a couple of years ago.

Enjoy yours!

I've always been curious about the 7x42 BN. It always gets so much praise, and especially that kind of "relevant" praise a good-ol-friend would get; not with flashy words, but with honest remembrance of the virtues. Lately I've been searching for a 7x35/42 and was considering this model; I ended up going with a Zeiss FL, but I remain curious about the performance. As for the looks, I find its chubby slightly quirky-looking design really appealing, and in green armour is just phenomenal (the same can be said for the Zeiss FL in green). Looks like a great find, enjoy!

Thanks for all the nice comments. I found them on Astromart classifieds and the guy was in Russia. They absolutely look like brand new. Even the case and strap is new. I can’t believe how good they are with beautiful colors and no detectable ca that I can see. Glare performance is also state of the art. The focus wheel is perfect with no slop or play and the collimation is perfect also. I have bought new binoculars that were not this nice. I am very happy indeed.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I found them on Astromart classifieds and the guy was in Russia. They absolutely look like brand new. Even the case and strap is new. I can’t believe how good they are with beautiful colors and no detectable ca that I can see. Glare performance is also state of the art. The focus wheel is perfect with no slop or play and the collimation is perfect also. I have bought new binoculars that were not this nice. I am very happy indeed.

I recently got a brand new pair of UV HD+ 7x42 but honestly I'm envious.
Goes without saying but enjoy your new (old quality) glass.

Congrats on a fantastic find, Robert! I suspect you'll enjoy those even more the second time around. I had a 7x42BA in blue for a short time and I also owned a 10x50BA for many years, that I sometimes wish I still had. These days the only Trinovid that I own is the 8x32BN but I'll never get rid of it. I agree that it's a very "classy" bin.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back