• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron OPTICRON DISCOVERY 8x42 (1 Viewer)

SellyoakBirder

hantsbirder
Hi everyone

I'm looking to buy a new pair of binoculars and am thinking i quite like the look of these, but could anyone tell of a website that gives a review of them?

also I'm looking at another a pair a Hawke Nature Trek 8x42 which I'm also very interested in.

My budget is £100 - £200

Hi,

I can't find any published reviews for the Opticron Discovery, but a couple of reviews of the Hawke Nature-Trek 8x42 can be read here and here.

If you're around on Saturday December 3rd, The Birders Store is holding an optics field day just down the road from you at Upton Warren (Worcs). Details here.

Both the Discovery and Nature Trek models will be available to view.

Brian

Hi everyone

I'm looking to buy a new pair of binoculars and am thinking i quite like the look of these, but could anyone tell of a website that gives a review of them?

also I'm looking at another a pair a Hawke Nature Trek 8x42 which I'm also very interested in.

My budget is £100 - £200

Hi Sellyoakbirder,

I can send you a review from Countryfile Magazine where the Discovery WP 8x42 won best in test. If you would like a copy just PM your email address. Ultimately tho you can read all the reviews under the sun, but there is no substitute for testing these products through your eyes in field conditions.

Cheers

Rob

Last edited:
With your quoted budget in mind try the Opticron HR WP, if you can live with its fov its head and shoulders above peer roofs, IMO its alpha quality resolution.

Having tried several roofs (we still own a Discovery 8x32 and Nikon Monarch 8x42), I agree with Torview that the 8x42 HRWP easily outperforms pretty much any roof its price range and probably those costing considerably more. You've just got to like the slightly bulkier build.
As a cheaper alternative (£160ish at the moment), but not WP is the Opticron 8x32 SRGA which is another poro that delivers an optical performance way above its price tag.
I have both of the above, on a nice dry day's outing it's the 8x32 SRGA that generally gets a trip.

I recently spent a half hour looking over the bins at an RSPB and tried out a few of the RSPB badged versions, comparing them to my poros. I didn't try all of them, but was disappointed with the inferior view compared to the SRGA (which may not quite be as good as the HRWP, but is wider). The demostrator handed me a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 to try. At last! a view as good if not a little better than the SRGA ---but at around £750.
Best advice is to try them out to compare, but bear in mind that views from a shop may well not show off the wonderful 3D view that can be given by poros.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back