• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acadia 8x32 (1 Viewer)

It looks like I'm behind on the Leupold news. I just went to their site and they have a few new additions: the Acadia 8x32 and 10x32, a Mojave 10x32 and a Yosemite 10x30. If this thread is old news I do apologize.

Last edited:
Hmm, my first thought was wondering how similar they are to the new 32mm Celestron and Zen Ray models. Some of the listed specs/features look similar and some don't.

I didn't know the Acadia line was dielectric coated.

Notably less expensive than the other two.

Hmm, my first thought was wondering how similar they are to the new 32mm Celestron and Zen Ray models. Some of the listed specs/features look similar and some don't.

I didn't know the Acadia line was dielectric coated.

Notably less expensive than the other two.

I skimmed the info and didn't initially see that it has the dielectric coating.
That helps increase brightness correct?

I think the little Acadia is cute.

Last edited:
My Leupold source says they are not going to be available for several weeks. They evidently will be different from the ZRS HD 8x32. Unless I'm mistaken, the Acadia has been upgraded from BX-1 to 2. Forgot to ask about that one.

I'll have an Acadia when they get some, have a ZRS on the way. Will be a good comparison to the Opticron Discovery 8x32 I've been using the devil out of lately.

Last edited:
My Leupold source says they are not going to be available for several weeks. They evidently will be different from the ZRS HD 8x32. Unless I'm mistaken, the Acadia has been upgraded from BX-1 to 2. Forgot to ask about that one.

I'll have an Acadia when they get some, have a ZRS on the way. Will be a good comparison to the Opticron Discovery 8x32 I've been using the devil out of lately.

Let us know your impressions of the Acadia 8x32 after you get it in ... if ya don't mind. :)

I skimmed the info and didn't initially see that it has the dielectric coating.
That helps increase brightness correct?

I think the little Acadia is cute.

Hello Anna Beth,

Cute has its merits. A coworker, about to go on an Alaskan cruise, tried my 8x30Nikon EII and my 8 x32 BN Leica. She preferred the former, but she did not articulate her reasons.

Dielectric coatings may have higher transmission than the silver coatings they replaced, but a more important virtue is that the colour is truer, a flatter transmission curve across the spectrum.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello Anna Beth,

Cute has its merits. A coworker, about to go on an Alaskan cruise, tried my 8x30Nikon EII and my 8 x32 BN Leica. She preferred the former, but she did not articulate her reasons.

Dielectric coatings may have higher transmission than the silver coatings they replaced, but a more important virtue is that the colour is truer, a flatter transmission curve across the spectrum.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

yep, the level of cuteness is important. :cat:

At first I thought the little Leica BN was sort of odd and unattractive, but it grew on me and I actually think it's sort of cute in its own way. For some unknown reason I think of a little pineapple whenever I see the BN. I've only viewed pics online of this model. I like the focus/diopter combo wheel of the UV's and Trinovids. I especially like the Ultravid 8x32 ...very cute !!

Last edited:
Well, the UPS delivery truck showed up yesterday with the 8x32 Acadia in tow. I have to admit to being pretty surprised, as it was just a couple of days ago they said there might be a several week delay.

First impression is that at the price level they are keepers. While they surely aren't perfect, they are really impressive for the price.

The outstanding overall first impression was..."well these things sure are not very big". They are about an inch shorter than the ZRS 8x32 I got the day before these came in. The size is actually pretty well thought out as I see it. They are certainly small enough to really appeal to those with smaller hands, or for those uses where a small size and physical footprint is desired. On the other hand they are not so small as to feel overly cramped with larger hands. I wear a size XL glove and my thumb to forefinger measurement with hands spread wide is just under 9". They are fine for that size, but as yet I have not used them for extended periods of time.

The ZRS will be a better fit for similar quality and optics in a slightly bigger package. The Acadia weighs 15.9 oz with neither lens covers or strap. They are 4.3 inches high with the eye cups down, 4.65 inches with the eye cups extended, and 4.3 inches wide at 61 mm IPD. There are three stops for the eye cup. The minimum IPD is 57 mm. However it looks like a little less armor on the inside of the hinge should alleviate that. Eye relief is enough for me with non prescription reading glasses or with sunglasses.

Right eye diopter, non locking, without click stops. Well marked for easy adjustment.

Dull, gray, smoky day, so CA testing will have to wait for either better conditions, or when I have more time.

The Acadia is the same length as is the Opticron Discovery WP 8x32, but the Opticron has less armor and is trimmer. The Acadia looks like the Opticron with some bulk.

They focus close enough that I can focus on my shoe tip while standing up. The focus is counterclockwise to infinity. There is one turn between close and infinity focus, and nearly one half turn past infinity. Close focus to about 30 meters or so is 3/4 of a turn and 1/4 turn from there to infinity. The focus was a bit notchy out of the box, but after running the focus several times back and forth from stop to stop, that went away. Evidently the lubrication needed evening out.

The overall impression of depth perception is pretty good. As good as the ZRS, Theron, and Sightron, better than the Opticron and better than my memories of the Diamondback.

The field is listed as 7.5*. There is some distortion at the edge which is not curvature as it can't be focused out, some is likely pincushion and some likely astigmatism. But the sweet spot is pretty wide, at least 6* of the 7.5*, so should not pose a problem...Unless you are picky about edges, in which case you probably won't lie any $200 class binocular. The field performance (if memory does not fail me) is very much like the Sightron S II.

Image is pretty color neutral, with good contrast and color rendition. Contrast is good. Apparent sharpness is impressive for the price.

They have a unique non tethered, snap into the objective cover. There are detents on each side of the cover to depress and it snaps into and out of place. The will surely stay put, but my first impression is that they will be pretty easy to loose. The typical tethered covers such as what comes with the ZRS will work.

EDIT: Just heard from Leupold, the Acadia's will ship with a typical tethered objective cover.

There have been some postings now about the ZRS 32 mm stuff, and I pretty much agree with what was posted.

Both the Acadia and the ZRS are pretty well in the same optical quality league as the much discussed Sightron S II 8x32 or the Theron Wapiti LT 8x32 I decided on over the Sightron.

I have several 8x32's on hand now and hope to snag a new Mojave in 8x32 and think I can snag a Vortex Diamondback 8x32 as well. Whatever shakes out I will use for a shootout review.

This is all the time I have for now as I will be out of good electronic touch for a couple of weeks. I am however going to be out in the middle of the Klamath marsh National Wildlife Refuge, so the binoculars will get a workout. I will post more when I can. I will answer stuff through today and tonight, but I'm out of here at 0-dark thirty in the morning.

Last edited:
Well, the UPS delivery truck showed up yesterday with the 8x32 Acadia in tow. I have to admit to being pretty surprised, as it was just a couple of days ago they said there might be a several week delay.

First impression is that at the price level they are keepers. While they surely aren't perfect, they are really impressive for the price.

Thanks so much for the review Steve. I'm happy to hear these are so good for the price and like the size and weight.

Just a heads up about the new Mojave 32mm if anyone is interested: On all of the dealer sites they have an 8x32 listed, but Leupold's site shows only a new 10x available.

I have an 8x32 Mojave on the way. Probably still a week away.

nice ! Could you give your impressions of this one too ? I've only read good things about the full size Mojave. It's odd that Leupold's website only lists the 10x32 (no reference to an 8x 32) in the Mojave section.

I have several 8x32's on hand now and hope to snag a new Mojave in 8x32 and think I can snag a Vortex Diamondback 8x32 as well. Whatever shakes out I will use for a shootout review.

Just found this post Steve -- really looking forward to a "budget 8x32 shootout" review! The 8x32 format has become my favorite and there are an increasing number of good budget options out there. If you can you should include the Kowa SV 8x32, as it's in the same price range and doesn't get a ton of coverage.

I didn't even know you had the ZRS 32mm since you didn't post on the Z-R subforum. Really looking forward to your impressions, this deserves a full thread on the main binocular forum! B :)

Sure I'll post about the Mojave. The 8x32 isn't on the site because it us behind the 10x22 in production . I don't know why. The full size Mojave is nice but they have a very containing fov.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back