• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's daubings (1 Viewer)

Apodemus

Time to start posting something again. As I let my old thread go too long without adding to it, I can't post there, so here's a new one, starting with a few plein airs that I found time to do this year. Plein air was new to me and not easy - especially as I was using oils for these, but it's very liberating. Anyway, for what they're worth, here are a couple.

This is the wood where I walk my dog at least once a day, right outside the house. The painting was done over a couple of days early in the year, just before the leaves came out.

Mike

Attachments

• Bluebell wood1red.JPG
    Bluebell wood1red.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 82
And here is the same wood in May. This was done in one sitting. Red squirrels were running up and down the trees and I nearly got mown down by a roe deer who wasn't expecting to find me sitting there!

Attachments

• Bluebellwoodmayred.JPG
    Bluebellwoodmayred.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 69
Liberating, frustrating and heaps of fun! Good to have you posting in our little corner again.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm new to the forum since you last posted, so glad to see your work here. Wow! The sense of place and seasonal mood you've created in these two pieces is outstanding.

I love this time of year. Stags roaring all day and night - I can lie in bed and listen to them just a few hundred yards from the house.

These were just one minute's walk away from the house - a big beefy stag and about ten hinds - difficult to tell in woodland.

My excuse for the lack of feet is that they were in bracken!

Attachments

• sketches.JPG
    sketches.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 68
I love this time of year. Stags roaring all day and night - I can lie in bed and listen to them just a few hundred yards from the house.

These were just one minute's walk away from the house - a big beefy stag and about ten hinds - difficult to tell in woodland.

My excuse for the lack of feet is that they were in bracken!

brilliant- I really like this style of drawing, with undrawn outlines and all done with mass and shade

Great sketches! We have an elk heard nearby, and the bulls are 'bugling' - not sure how the sounds compare, but ours are definitely impressive to hear.

Just catching up after an enforced break.

Mike, hope you are doing well?

Never seen your stuff, and it's brilliant!

The woodland scene and the deer are remarkable. Love it!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back