• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon Coolpix P330 (1 Viewer)

Yes, the body looks to be virtually the same as the P310 with the shutter release and tripod socket in the same positions. HOWEVER the lens is now an effective 120mm f5.6 on the long end so there may be an eyepiece-to-lens spacing problem with the FSB-8. This slow lens was kinda disappointing given the P7700 is 200mm @ f4 too.

Last edited:
I'm very interesting in this as I'm very pleased with the performance of the P310, although it would benefit from an ED lens. I don't see ED on the P330 lens either.
I may have to use the Kowa 25x LER eyepiece with this lens. As i can use it on my Kowa Lens/scope and my Swarovski STS 80 HD (no infinitiy focusing) I won't mind.
Neil.

Nikon FSB-8 adapter requires modification

Yes, the body looks to be virtually the same as the P310 with the shutter release and tripod socket in the same positions. HOWEVER the lens is now an effective 120mm f5.6 on the long end so there may be an eyepiece-to-lens spacing problem with the FSB-8. This slow lens was kinda disappointing given the P7700 is 200mm @ f4 too.

I purchased a Nikon Coolpix P330 and a Nikon FSB-8 adaptor a few days ago. The tripod socket is not in the same place as the earlier P310. A best I can tell, based on the way the FSB-8 sits, it is now approximately 2.3mm closer to the battery compartment. This means that the FSB-8 will not fit without some modifications.

The first modification is to remove the captive 1/4" UNC screw, drill out the hole to D6.2mm and file a slot rightwards, leaving 2.0mm of material remaining. The second modification is to bend the bar that holds the cable release so that the release hits the shutter button more directly.

I will post some more details and some photographs of these modifications in a few days. I guess that Nikon will need to bring out another adapter for the P330. Or at least update their information on compatibility.

I purchased a Nikon Coolpix P330 and a Nikon FSB-8 adaptor a few days ago. The tripod socket is not in the same place as the earlier P310. A best I can tell, based on the way the FSB-8 sits, it is now approximately 2.3mm closer to the battery compartment. This means that the FSB-8 will not fit without some modifications.

The first modification is to remove the captive 1/4" UNC screw, drill out the hole to D6.2mm and file a slot rightwards, leaving 2.0mm of material remaining. The second modification is to bend the bar that holds the cable release so that the release hits the shutter button more directly.

I will post some more details and some photographs of these modifications in a few days. I guess that Nikon will need to bring out another adapter for the P330. Or at least update their information on compatibility.

Look forward to seeing some pics Robbie.
Neil.

Look forward to seeing some pics Robbie.
Neil.

The following modifications to the Nikon adapter FSB-8 were required to suit the new Nikon Coolpix P330 camera. Please note that Nikon does not claim these two items are compatible. This bracket is in-fact for the previous Coolpix P310 model.

• the tapped hole in the base had to be drilled out and then filed to make a slot
  • the shutter release arm required a small bend to create a better alignment

These modifications can be made with simple hand tools. A set of digital calipers is useful but not essential. The material is aluminium not steel.

In addition, it may be better to use a new 1/4" UNC screw and locknut than the the original captive screw. At least I found this so.

Turn the camera on before fitting the adapter. This will make it easier to place and align the adapter. Visually check the alignment and then turn the camera off and on to confirm before further use.

I used this setup with a Nikon Fieldscope ED50-A (angled) and 27x wide DS (digiscoping) eyepiece.

As this was my first foray into digiscoping, I simply set the camera to A (Aperture Priority), focused the scope as best I could, and tripped the cable release. I did not even bother to turn off the VR (vibration reduction) as is recommended for tripod use.

I was stunned with the results. I found some Seidenschwanz/waxwing [Bombycilla garrulus] in Brandeburg and snapped away indiscriminately. To my surprise, most images were fully acceptable technically. The autofocus works and locks on as required, given the fieldscope is focused about right. The exposures were fine. Fantastic.

The angled version of the fieldscope works well. I have a short tripod (it fits in a mountain bike pannier) and I often kneel on piece of foam when using the scope. So having the camera angled up suits.

By default, the camera zooms to 24mm when powered on. Setting this to 50mm is useful because that is a better starting point. The camera can be zoomed into the eyepiece on long focal lengths, at which point a "Lens error" occurs. If turning off the camera does not resolve this error, then removing the battery might!

I find the GPS feature really useful. My wife submits field sightings to http://www.ornitho.de and I normally provide the locational information. So interrogating the images for EXIF data is really convenient.

In terms of alignment, the camera/adapter/eyepiece arrangement is a little off-centre. I cannot see why but neither does this seem to matter.

The LensCoat Hoodie size XXS makes a nice cover when the adapter is mounted on the camera but not on the fieldscope.

I wonder if Nikon should introduce a 'digiscope' mode which prevents the user from zooming into the hardware. It could also turn off the VR and perhaps do other useful things.

One final note. Nikon, as best I can establish, have not yet released the Reference Manual for the P330. I have had a significant discussion with Nikon UK on this matter and have been told that the CD with the full manual that should have shipped (perhaps!) can be obtained from my supplier (I haven't tried). In the meantime, I am making do with the P310 manual and believe Nikon will upload the P330 manual in due course for public download and hopefully within weeks. (Nikon, if reading this, take note that there is a problem here.)

Apologies for the long post, but I am guessing that there may be some interest in this particular digiscoping configuration. Robbie

Attachments

• nikon-digiscope-adapter-fsb-8-modified-base.small.jpg
    nikon-digiscope-adapter-fsb-8-modified-base.small.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 417
  • nikon-digiscope-adapter-fsb-8-modified-cable-release-arm.small.jpg
    nikon-digiscope-adapter-fsb-8-modified-cable-release-arm.small.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 379
  • nikon-digiscope-adapter-fsb-8-modified-slot.small.jpg
    nikon-digiscope-adapter-fsb-8-modified-slot.small.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 318
  • nikon-digiscope-adapter-fsb-8-modified-0.25-unc-screw.small.jpg
    nikon-digiscope-adapter-fsb-8-modified-0.25-unc-screw.small.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 277
  • nikon-digiscope-adapter-fsb-8-modified-with-lenscoat-hoodie-xxs.small.jpg
    nikon-digiscope-adapter-fsb-8-modified-with-lenscoat-hoodie-xxs.small.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
To follow up on my previous post, here is a sample image. Some EXIF details are given. The focal length is actual and not the 135 equivalent.

• Software = 'GIMP 2.6.8'
  • FocalLength = 14.3 mm
  • ExposureTime = 0.005 sec
  • FNumber = 4 APEX = 'f4.0'
  • ExposureProgram = 3 = 'Aperture Priority'
  • ISOSpeedRatings = 80

The image has been lightly sharpened using an Unsharp mask in Gimp. It was cropped from 4000x3000 pixels, thereby retaining about 24% of the original area, and then downsized to meet the requirements for upload.

The bird is a Seidenschwanz or waxwing [Bombycilla garrulus]. The conditions were a little windy. Robbie

Attachments

• seidenschwanz-2013mar10-0349.medium.jpg
    seidenschwanz-2013mar10-0349.medium.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
I finally had a look at the P330 yesterday. Unfortunately, even after resetting defaults, the sample I played with kept locking up after taking just one RAW photo so I gave up after a few attempts. I was hoping there would still be a P310 nearby to compare lens extension lengths but they have been removed from display. Next stop the Nikon showroom where I can hopefully find some more informed staff.

I was hoping there would still be a P310 nearby to compare lens extension lengths but they have been removed from display

Here are some lens extension measurements (+/- 0.2mm and taken from the ring surrounding the lens with the lens specification engraved on it) for the P330:

• retracted : 0.0mm
  • 24mm : 24.0mm
  • 50mm : 19.3mm
  • 120mm : 30.5mm (also the maximum)

The P330 Reference Manual has now been uploaded: http://nikonimglib.com/manual/coolpix-p/p330/index_en.html

Robbie

Last edited:
I just picked up a white P330 as they've just started appearing in shops here.
I did a quick test against the Kowa 25x LER eyepiece and the Swarovski STX 95 30-70x eyepiece at 30x. At the end of the Green Macro zone, which looked similar to that on the P310 at 55 mm, there appeared to be no vignetting. I was using universal type adapters on both eyepieces.
I'll be away in Bangkok for a few days so I won't have time for serious testing , but will get it out in the wetlands next Thursday. Did shoot some stills and videos around here this afternoon. The processing of Raw is a bit slow.
I like the more options for hd video.
Neil.

Another example based on the following equipment:

• Nikon Coolpix P330 camera
  • Nikon FSB-8 adapter (with modifications to the mount)
  • Nikon 27x wide DS (digiscoping) eyepiece
  • Nikon Fieldscope ED50-A (angled) scope

Some EXIF details for the image:

• Software = 'GIMP 2.6.8'
  • FocalLengthIn35mmFilm = 50mm
  • ExposureTime = 0.0166667 sec (1/60)
  • Exif.FNumber = 4.5 APEX = 'f4.8'
  • ExposureProgram = 3 = 'Aperture Priority'
  • ISOSpeedRatings = 160

The image has been lightly sharpened using an Unsharp mask in Gimp. It was cropped from 4000x3000 pixels, thereby retaining about 72% of the original area, and then downsized for this site.

The bird is a Singdrossel or song thrush [Turdus philomelos].

The day was quite cold at -5°C, but there were no battery or camera problems.

I used an Agfa-style 8x loupe (originally produced to assess analog film visually) to help focus the fieldscope using the camera display. That worked well. The autofocus (not surprisingly) can get confused and lock onto small branches and twigs in front of the subject. There may be some work-arounds to that that I haven't discovered yet.

If anyone wants to comment on my camera settings, that would good! Robbie

Attachments

• jungfernheide-2013mar23-singdrossel.medium.jpg
    jungfernheide-2013mar23-singdrossel.medium.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 458
How many zoom steps does the lens have and can you discover the focal length and max aperture or F ratio the camera reports at each of the zoom steps? Thanks!

How many zoom steps does the lens have and can you discover the focal length and max aperture or F ratio the camera reports at each of the zoom steps? Thanks!

There are two features of the Nikon Coolpix P330 that might be relevant here:

• Zoom memory
  • Startup zoom position

The manual describes the Zoom memory feature as follows. This feature is only available in modes P, S, A, M, U.

When the zoom control is operated, the camera changes in steps to the focal length (equivalent to 35mm [135] format of angle of view) of the zoom lens that is set in advance. The following settings are available: 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm and 120mm.

The manual describes the Startup zoom position feature as follows. This feature is only available in modes P, S, A, M (not U).

When the camera is turned on, the zoom position moves to the focal length (equivalent to 35mm [135] format of angle of view) of the zoom lens that is set in advance. The following settings are available: 24mm (default setting), 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm and 120mm.

As I noted earlier, I found a revised setting of 50mm to be convenient.

The maximum aperture of f/1.8 drops off as one zooms away from 24mm.

• 24mm = f/1.8
  • 28mm = f/2.0
  • 35mm = f/2.5
  • 50mm = f/3.2
  • 85mm = f/4.5
  • 105mm = f/5.2
  • 120mm = f/5.6

My very limited and subjective trials suggest that, when digiscoping, zooming in past 50mm will give a slightly enlarged view but not more photographic detail. Hence the key statistic here is f/3.2, this being the maximum aperture at 50mm.

The current focal length is only available on the display when the Zoom memory is active. Once shot, the focal length information is, of course, recorded in the EXIF metadata in both actual and 135 equivalent terms and can be recovered later if need be.

HTH, Robbie

Last edited:
The Nikon Coolpix P330 has a 3D option as one of the SCENE Modes. It seems like a good implementation, similar to using Panorama Mode, only the camera automatically takes the second image when the "greyed" overlay image is aligned. About 2 mms to the right.
I'm looking forward to trying it out on a scope.
Neil

There are two features of the Nikon Coolpix P330 that might be relevant here:

• Zoom memory
  • Startup zoom position

The manual describes the Zoom memory feature as follows. This feature is only available in modes P, S, A, M, U.

When the zoom control is operated, the camera changes in steps to the focal length (equivalent to 35mm [135] format of angle of view) of the zoom lens that is set in advance. The following settings are available: 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm and 120mm.

The manual describes the Startup zoom position feature as follows. This feature is only available in modes P, S, A, M (not U).

When the camera is turned on, the zoom position moves to the focal length (equivalent to 35mm [135] format of angle of view) of the zoom lens that is set in advance. The following settings are available: 24mm (default setting), 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm and 120mm.

As I noted earlier, I found a revised setting of 50mm to be convenient.

The maximum aperture of f/1.8 drops off as one zooms away from 24mm.

• 24mm = f/1.8
  • 28mm = f/2.0
  • 35mm = f/2.5
  • 50mm = f/3.2
  • 85mm = f/4.5
  • 105mm = f/5.2
  • 120mm = f/5.6

My very limited and subjective trials suggest that, when digiscoping, zooming in past 50mm will give a slightly enlarged view but not more photographic detail. Hence the key statistic here is f/3.2, this being the maximum aperture at 50mm.

The current focal length is only available on the display when the Zoom memory is active. Once shot, the focal length information is, of course, recorded in the EXIF metadata in both actual and 135 equivalent terms and can be recovered later if need be.

HTH, Robbie

Robbie,
I have it set to 50 mm and it's very convenient to Start-Up there as that's near the end of the Green Macro zone where I like to digiscope from.
Neil.

I'm down in Sydney for Easter and have been digiscoping with the P330. I have 5 batteries for it as it uses the same batteries as the P300 and P310, so can go all day. What I like to do when digiscoping at waterholes is run the video on a perch and wait for birds to fly onto it. Hours can go by so battery life is important.
The 30x is a bit much for the waterhole so wattlebirds and doves won't fit in the frame at 8 meters.
Neil

Nikon P330 and Swarovski STX95 mm and SW DCB 11 Adapter
Sydney,Australia
April 2013

Attachments

• little wattlebird  P330 stx95 DSCN0796_edited-2.jpg
    little wattlebird P330 stx95 DSCN0796_edited-2.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 476
  • eastern spinebill P330 stx95 DSCN0840_edited-1.jpg
    eastern spinebill P330 stx95 DSCN0840_edited-1.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 490
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back