• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hands on with the New Zeiss SF (1 Viewer)

BruceH

The Nature Expo at the Tucson, AZ Audubon Society Bird and Wildlife Festival opened today and one of the vendors was Zeiss USA, represented by Rich M. and Steve Ingraham. It was the first time I met both of these gentleman and they were very easy to talk with and were patient with my many questions. I really enjoyed the time spent meeting with them.

My primary priority was to handle and look through the new Zeiss SF binocular. They had one 10X42 and two 8X42 units for demo. These were “pre-production” units and I believe the only SF models in the US.. They should be very close to what will be in general production. If there are any optical changes, they would be very minor (but most likely this is it). The operation of the eye cups may have some small changes from the models I used today.

Environment: The Expo is at a hotel near downtown Tucson with the vendors in a hotel conference room with no windows and not the best lighting. The hotel borders the I-10 Freeway access road so outside viewing does not have the riparian look of the Bird Fair. It is mainly concrete, asphalt and cement freeway retaining walls but there is some grass, trees, bushes and other assorted buildings. It is good enough to get a general idea how the binocular will do out in the field. As typical of the desert southwest, the sky was a beautiful bright blue with some broken clouds.

Is it Any Good: In a word, Yes! Rich was trusting enough to let me take one of the SF units outside for testing and for no particular reason, I spent most of my time with the 10X42. I did a second and shorter outdoor test with the 8X42. I spent at least 20 minutes outside with the 10X before feeling guilty about hogging the only unit and then spent about 5 or so minutes with the 8X. Both are very impressive.

There were three things that really stood out to me on first view.

- One: The colors seemed very true and vivid. I really could not detect any color bias. Keep in mind this was not the best outdoor environment and I did not have another binocular to compare with, so under different circumstances, I might pick up something different. But for today, the colors seemed very natural and impressive. A couple of Swaro owning friends thought the same. What is strange is that another member, Tim, commented just the opposite in a different post. I do not know why we reached different conclusions, Maybe it has something to do with the bright blue sky of AZ to what I suspect is more gray in England, or maybe it had something to due with the colors of our target items. It will be interesting to see what the light transmission charts ultimately show.

-Two: The CA control was excellent. I kept viewing various targets in high contrast conditions and there was just no CA of any significance. I am one of those that generally does not notice CA, but I can see it if I look for it. If I were at home, looking at my usual CA target, it may have been noticeable, but it sure wasn’t today at the hotel. It is possible that the SF has the best CA control of any binocular I have used.

- Three: Sharpness to the edge is excellent. I own several Nikon EDG products but I did not have any with me for a side by side comparison. However, I suspect the Zeiss would show slightly less drop off near the edge and going by memory, I think it may beat the Swaro SV.

Sharpness: I can just give a general opinion since I somehow cut my right eye a couple of weeks ago while on an extended camping trip and it became infected. It is mostly healed now but it is not quite there yet. I noticed I was not able to get quite the same sharpness in the right eye when adjusting the diopter of various binoculars today. However, I do feel confident in saying that the SF is as sharp as any other binocular I own and will I leave it to Typo/David and Lee to comment on how sharp they really are.

Brightness and Contrast: Under the blue skies of today, even a Coke bottle would look bright. I did spend a little time looking into the dark areas of the trees and bushes and the SF did a great job of pulling out the detail. Contrast also seemed excellent but I did not have another binocular to use for comparison.

Glare Handling: I did some viewing of treetops in near alignment with the sun and did not have any glare issues or the overall haze I will sometimes see under those viewing conditions with other brands.

FOV: I did not immediately notice the wide FOV as mentioned in a couple of the other posts discussing the SF. That may be because I have been using a wide field Nikon EII 10X and a 8X quite a bit this last month. However, I did not get that tunnel feeling that I sometimes get when going from the EII to another binocular. The wide FOV and the sharp edges deliver and excellent view.

Handling: The binoculars actually looked a little bit smaller than what I was expecting and they also felt lighter than expected. The weight is just a little bit more to the rear than other brands and so that gave them a lighter feel when viewing. I can see that being a nice feature when bringing them up to the face many times over several hours of viewing. The hold was steady and I had no problem is getting quick alignment with my eyes. They were easy to point and pick up the subject. I did compare the feel to the Zeiss HT in the conference room and I liked the feel of the SF much more.

SF - Smart Focus: I got the impression that term came from the marketing department to convey the idea that a lot of thought went into the design and placement of the focus mechanism. There is nothing unconventional in the mechanics of the mechanism. It is about getting the size, shape, location, etc just right for most. I did ultimately notice that I was at times using my index finger to focus, then sometimes my middle finger, and sometime both at the same time. It all depended on how my hands were positioned at the time. It all came very naturally and I was not even aware at first that I was using different fingers. Normally I find it very awkward to use the middle finger for focusing. Overall, I found the SF very easy and comfortable to use.

Focus Wheel Travel: The initial plan was to observe the amount of rotation of the focus wheel when going from max close focus to infinity, but that did not work out. First, I did not have another binocular to compare the close focus distance so if the Zeiss was closer, it would have more travel and give a mis-leading impression. Second, there was no single unique mark on the wheel to measure the rotation travel. What is important to me is if I can go from a relatively close subject to infinity in one swipe. I focused on a car hood emblem about 15 feet away (which is about the closest distance I normally view birds) then refocused on some palm trees about a half mile away. I was able to do this with one left to right swipe of the finger and still has some travel left before that section of the wheel would rotate below my reach. I do not see any focus travel issues for my intended use.

Focus Mechanism: The Nikon EDG is the gold standard for me and assuming it scores a 10, I would give the Zeiss SF at least an 8.5 and maybe a 9. There was no free play, tension was very close in both directions and slightly on the light side, There was a very, very small amount of roughness in the feel, but nothing to hinder quickly obtaining a sharp focus. It does not quite have that ball bearing precision feel of a Nikon but functionally, there are no complaints.

Diopter Adjustment: Zeiss did a great job on this. It is similar to the HT, but improved. It has the small diopter wheel behind the focus wheel like the HT but for the SF, the user must first unlock it by pulling it rearward in order to adjust the diopter. Since it has lock/unlock positions, Zeiss was able to reduce the tension considerably on the diopter wheel as compared to the HT and it is much easier to rotate the wheel without moving the binocular. It is very easy to adjust the diopter.

Eye Cups: I view without wearing my glasses so I have the eye cups extended. When fully extended, the length was fine and I did not have blackout issues. The eye cups were comfortable against the face. The only issue was the notching when less than fully extended. It was difficult to feel and I was never sure of the spacing. I do hope this is something Zeiss changes from the pre-production units, but in reality, it was not a problem for me because I fully extend the eye cups. Sorry, but I totally forgot to check for eye relief with my eye glasses on. Hopefully some of our Bird Fair attending members will comment on that.

Pin Cushioning: The SF does exhibit some pin cushioning when viewing horizontal lines but it is very mild. What was somewhat surprising is that is started fairly close to the center. Considering my viewing environment was concrete walls and buildings, it was a worse case scenario. The pin cushioning is mild and I do not expect any issues in the field.

Rolling Ball: I am able to detect rolling ball in binoculars so I panned various items with the 10X42 and the results were about the same as any other conventional binocular. There were no rolling ball issues with it for me. However, I did detect it to some degree with the 8X42. The view was rolling off the last 5 to 10% of the edges when panning a line of bushes against a wall. I did not pan that same spot with the 10X so I cannot say for sure if I would have seen rolling ball, but I doubt it. I suspect the 8X may have a little more tendency to exhibit rolling ball, but what I saw was slight and it would not stop me from buying one. It is nothing as extreme as what I see in a Swaro 8.5X42 SV.

SF vs HT: I did have an 8X42 HT for about a week but my brother wanted it so now I borrow it on occasion. Zeiss had some HT models at the show so I did do a quick comparison. For my preferences, the SF is the better choice. I know that is a strong statement considering the HT is one of the best. For me, the SF has a better feel, a much better focus mechanism and a superior diopter adjustment. I also prefer the overall view of the SF over the HT with the flat field and to some extent, the wider FOV. The HT has a little better light transmission, but it is not that much and it is not something I need. The overall package of the SF is the better fit for my uses.

Zeiss USA: Both Rich and Steve were very interested in what people thought of the SF and were trying to get as much input as they could before the general release. I left the show with the feeling that Rich would do his very best to address any problems I might have with a Zeiss product. There are not very many other binocular vendors the give me that same level of confidence.

Summation: There is very little not like about this binocular (other than the cost). It is difficult for me to completely judge a binocular when using it only one time, but the SF left and excellent impression. I want to see one a few more times and find out what others discover. However, I suspect that this may be the finest binocular I have ever used. I am seriously (gulp!) considering acquiring an SF if my initial impressions hold. If you can get use out of the SF, are able to notice the qualities it offers, appreciate all that goes in to a top of line binocular, and can spare the money, then definitely check out the SF.

Last edited:
Thank you Bruce, I think. Your comments are both enlightening and potentially very expensive. I probably won't have a chance to get my hands on a pair until April with the Bird Watchers Digest show. I'll just have to see it against my Kowa's And see if there is enough improvement to warrant (big gulp ) buying a pair. I had a pair of HT's for two weeks but found them awkward to use though I loved the view so it's good to know the SV's are different.
I haven't met Rich but Stephen Ingraham strikes me as being both honest and sincere as well as very knowledgeable.
Steve

Thanks for the effort and great report Bruce :t:

You've covered most of our questions as best as you could under the circumstances.

One question which does arise for me out of your report has to do with brightness, and since you've used both the HT and EDGII I wonder how in the 10x, the SF compares. If reported transmission values are correct the SF should be just visibly brighter than the EDGII, and the HT in turn should be just visibly brighter than the SF .... is that the impression you had?

Also, did you detect any ring of softening in the field at about 80% toward the edge as Tim reported .... aka Brock's infamous Absam ring?

Many thanks --- Chosun :gh:

Bruce, I haven't heard anything definitive but is the SF considered to be the HT replacement -- or is it just another model?

Bruce, I haven't heard anything definitive but is the SF considered to be the HT replacement -- or is it just another model?

Definitely just another model. Copying the Swarovski strategy, Zeiss wants the customer choosing between a Zeiss and a Zeiss. Although at those prices, it may be between a Zeiss and a car, a Zeiss and the kid's education, or a Zeiss and a house! :eek!:

Chosun :gh:

Definitely just another model. Copying the Swarovski strategy, Zeiss wants the customer choosing between a Zeiss and a Zeiss. Although at those prices, it may be between a Zeiss and a car, a Zeiss and the kid's education, or a Zeiss and a house! :eek!:

Chosun :gh:

We could be seeing homeless people with a pair of Zeiss hanging from their neck in the future, Chosun. 3:)

Thank you Bruce, I think. Your comments are both enlightening and potentially very expensive. I probably won't have a chance to get my hands on a pair until April with the Bird Watchers Digest show. I'll just have to see it against my Kowa's And see if there is enough improvement to warrant (big gulp ) buying a pair. I had a pair of HT's for two weeks but found them awkward to use though I loved the view so it's good to know the SV's are different.
I haven't met Rich but Stephen Ingraham strikes me as being both honest and sincere as well as very knowledgeable.
Steve

Stephen, Your banker and I are happy to hear you find the comments enlightening!

I did ask when they thought the SF would be readily available in the stores and was told October. I think this means stores will want them for the Christmas buying season. You might consider taking a road trip late this fall to the Cabela's in Hammond or the Bass Pro in Portage if you do not want to wait until April to see the SF. Definitely call first to see if they are in stock.

I have never been fortunate enough to use a Kowa binocular so I do not know how it will compare to the SF. Everyone around here has Monarchs and more Monarchs. If the SF works for you and you are an optics enthusiast, the you may be taking that big gulp and pulling out the credit card.

I agree with you about Steve, and Rich is right there too.

One question which does arise for me out of your report has to do with brightness, and since you've used both the HT and EDGII I wonder how in the 10x, the SF compares. If reported transmission values are correct the SF should be just visibly brighter than the EDGII, and the HT in turn should be just visibly brighter than the SF .... is that the impression you had?

Also, did you detect any ring of softening in the field at about 80% toward the edge as Tim reported .... aka Brock's infamous Absam ring?

Only mad dogs, enlishmen and binocular testers go out in the AZ noonday sun. It was about 2 in the afternoon when I had the SF outside under a bright blue summer sky with a high sun. To say it was bright outside is an understatement. All binoculars look bright to me under those conditions, so I really cannot give you a detailed answer. My impressions from looking in the shadows is that the SF had no problems bringing out the detail. My expectations are based on the announced transmission figures so I would expect the HT to be the brightest, then the SF, then the EDG. I think we are going to have to wait for someone like Lee to get a hold of an SF for a side by side and put in the effort of comparing under minimal light. Based on what I have seen and read, I would expect the SF to do very well in poor light.

I did not notice Brock's Abasm ring as reported by Tim. Even if my right eye were totally healed, I still may not see it because I don't think I have the ability to evaluate sharpness like David, John S., or a few of our other members. We were viewing pre-production models. There is always the possibility that there are some differences between them. If the units I viewed display the ring, then it is very subtle. I do not see it being an issue for me.

Replacement to me implies that the HT would be discontinued. I have not seen nor heard anything to indicate that the HT is going away. Each is an excellent product and appeals to a different market segment. The HT would be my first choice if looking for a hunting binocular or working as a wildlife biologist where spotting detail is the priority. The SF is an excellent general purpose choice where the wide field and the edge sharpness are a priority.

The Nature Expo at the Tucson, AZ Audubon Society Bird and Wildlife Festival opened today and one of the vendors was Zeiss USA, represented by Rich M. and Steve Ingraham. It was the first time I met both of these gentleman and they were very easy to talk with and were patient with my many questions. I really enjoyed the time spent meeting with them.

My primary priority was to handle and look through the new Zeiss SF binocular. They had one 10X42 and two 8X42 units for demo. These were “pre-production” units and I believe the only SF models in the US.. They should be very close to what will be in general production. If there are any optical changes, they would be very minor (but most likely this is it). The operation of the eye cups may have some small changes from the models I used today.

Environment: The Expo is at a hotel near downtown Tucson with the vendors in a hotel conference room with no windows and not the best lighting. The hotel borders the I-10 Freeway access road so outside viewing does not have the riparian look of the Bird Fair. It is mainly concrete, asphalt and cement freeway retaining walls but there is some grass, trees, bushes and other assorted buildings. It is good enough to get a general idea how the binocular will do out in the field. As typical of the desert southwest, the sky was a beautiful bright blue with some broken clouds.

Is it Any Good: In a word, Yes! Rich was trusting enough to let me take one of the SF units outside for testing and for no particular reason, I spent most of my time with the 10X42. I did a second and shorter outdoor test with the 8X42. I spent at least 20 minutes outside with the 10X before feeling guilty about hogging the only unit and then spent about 5 or so minutes with the 8X. Both are very impressive.

There were three things that really stood out to me on first view.

- One: The colors seemed very true and vivid. I really could not detect any color bias. Keep in mind this was not the best outdoor environment and I did not have another binocular to compare with, so under different circumstances, I might pick up something different. But for today, the colors seemed very natural and impressive. A couple of Swaro owning friends thought the same. What is strange is that another member, Tim, commented just the opposite in a different post. I do not know why we reached different conclusions, Maybe it has something to do with the bright blue sky of AZ to what I suspect is more gray in England, or maybe it had something to due with the colors of our target items. It will be interesting to see what the light transmission charts ultimately show.

-Two: The CA control was excellent. I kept viewing various targets in high contrast conditions and there was just no CA of any significance. I am one of those that generally does not notice CA, but I can see it if I look for it. If I were at home, looking at my usual CA target, it may have been noticeable, but it sure wasn’t today at the hotel. It is possible that the SF has the best CA control of any binocular I have used.

- Three: Sharpness to the edge is excellent. I own several Nikon EDG products but I did not have any with me for a side by side comparison. However, I suspect the Zeiss would show slightly less drop off near the edge and going by memory, I think it may beat the Swaro SV.

Sharpness: I can just give a general opinion since I somehow cut my right eye a couple of weeks ago while on an extended camping trip and it became infected. It is mostly healed now but it is not quite there yet. I noticed I was not able to get quite the same sharpness in the right eye when adjusting the diopter of various binoculars today. However, I do feel confident in saying that the SF is as sharp as any other binocular I own and will I leave it to Typo/David and Lee to comment on how sharp they really are.

Brightness and Contrast: Under the blue skies of today, even a Coke bottle would look bright. I did spend a little time looking into the dark areas of the trees and bushes and the SF did a great job of pulling out the detail. Contrast also seemed excellent but I did not have another binocular to use for comparison.

Glare Handling: I did some viewing of treetops in near alignment with the sun and did not have any glare issues or the overall haze I will sometimes see under those viewing conditions with other brands.

FOV: I did not immediately notice the wide FOV as mentioned in a couple of the other posts discussing the SF. That may be because I have been using a wide field Nikon EII 10X and a 8X quite a bit this last month. However, I did not get that tunnel feeling that I sometimes get when going from the EII to another binocular. The wide FOV and the sharp edges deliver and excellent view.

Handling: The binoculars actually looked a little bit smaller than what I was expecting and they also felt lighter than expected. The weight is just a little bit more to the rear than other brands and so that gave them a lighter feel when viewing. I can see that being a nice feature when bringing them up to the face many times over several hours of viewing. The hold was steady and I had no problem is getting quick alignment with my eyes. They were easy to point and pick up the subject. I did compare the feel to the Zeiss HT in the conference room and I liked the feel of the SF much more.

SF - Smart Focus: I got the impression that term came from the marketing department to convey the idea that a lot of thought went into the design and placement of the focus mechanism. There is nothing unconventional in the mechanics of the mechanism. It is about getting the size, shape, location, etc just right for most. I did ultimately notice that I was at times using my index finger to focus, then sometimes my middle finger, and sometime both at the same time. It all depended on how my hands were positioned at the time. It all came very naturally and I was not even aware at first that I was using different fingers. Normally I find it very awkward to use the middle finger for focusing. Overall, I found the SF very easy and comfortable to use.

Focus Wheel Travel: The initial plan was to observe the amount of rotation of the focus wheel when going from max close focus to infinity, but that did not work out. First, I did not have another binocular to compare the close focus distance so if the Zeiss was closer, it would have more travel and give a mis-leading impression. Second, there was no single unique mark on the wheel to measure the rotation travel. What is important to me is if I can go from a relatively close subject to infinity in one swipe. I focused on a car hood emblem about 15 feet away (which is about the closest distance I normally view birds) then refocused on some palm trees about a half mile away. I was able to do this with one left to right swipe of the finger and still has some travel left before that section of the wheel would rotate below my reach. I do not see any focus travel issues for my intended use.

Focus Mechanism: The Nikon EDG is the gold standard for me and assuming it scores a 10, I would give the Zeiss SF at least an 8.5 and maybe a 9. There was no free play, tension was very close in both directions and slightly on the light side, There was a very, very small amount of roughness in the feel, but nothing to hinder quickly obtaining a sharp focus. It does not quite have that ball bearing precision feel of a Nikon but functionally, there are no complaints.

Diopter Adjustment: Zeiss did a great job on this. It is similar to the HT, but improved. It has the small diopter wheel behind the focus wheel like the HT but for the SF, the user must first unlock it by pulling it rearward in order to adjust the diopter. Since it has lock/unlock positions, Zeiss was able to reduce the tension considerably on the diopter wheel as compared to the HT and it is much easier to rotate the wheel without moving the binocular. It is very easy to adjust the diopter.

Eye Cups: I view without wearing my glasses so I have the eye cups extended. When fully extended, the length was fine and I did not have blackout issues. The eye cups were comfortable against the face. The only issue was the notching when less than fully extended. It was difficult to feel and I was never sure of the spacing. I do hope this is something Zeiss changes from the pre-production units, but in reality, it was not a problem for me because I fully extend the eye cups. Sorry, but I totally forgot to check for eye relief with my eye glasses on. Hopefully some of our Bird Fair attending members will comment on that.

Pin Cushioning: The SF does exhibit some pin cushioning when viewing horizontal lines but it is very mild. What was somewhat surprising is that is started fairly close to the center. Considering my viewing environment was concrete walls and buildings, it was a worse case scenario. The pin cushioning is mild and I do not expect any issues in the field.

Rolling Ball: I am able to detect rolling ball in binoculars so I panned various items with the 10X42 and the results were about the same as any other conventional binocular. There were no rolling ball issues with it for me. However, I did detect it to some degree with the 8X42. The view was rolling off the last 5 to 10% of the edges when panning a line of bushes against a wall. I did not pan that same spot with the 10X so I cannot say for sure if I would have seen rolling ball, but I doubt it. I suspect the 8X may have a little more tendency to exhibit rolling ball, but what I saw was slight and it would not stop me from buying one. It is nothing as extreme as what I see in a Swaro 8.5X42 SV.

SF vs HT: I did have an 8X42 HT for about a week but my brother wanted it so now I borrow it on occasion. Zeiss had some HT models at the show so I did do a quick comparison. For my preferences, the SF is the better choice. I know that is a strong statement considering the HT is one of the best. For me, the SF has a better feel, a much better focus mechanism and a superior diopter adjustment. I also prefer the overall view of the SF over the HT with the flat field and to some extent, the wider FOV. The HT has a little better light transmission, but it is not that much and it is not something I need. The overall package of the SF is the better fit for my uses.

Zeiss USA: Both Rich and Steve were very interested in what people thought of the SF and were trying to get as much input as they could before the general release. I left the show with the feeling that Rich would do his very best to address any problems I might have with a Zeiss product. There are not very many other binocular vendors the give me that same level of confidence.

Summation: There is very little not like about this binocular (other than the cost). It is difficult for me to completely judge a binocular when using it only one time, but the SF left and excellent impression. I want to see one a few more times and find out what others discover. However, I suspect that this may be the finest binocular I have ever used. I am seriously (gulp!) considering acquiring an SF if my initial impressions hold. If you can get use out of the SF, are able to notice the qualities it offers, appreciate all that goes in to a top of line binocular, and can spare the money, then definitely check out the SF.

Good stuff! Hope it puts Chosun's 1,001 questions and speculations about the SF focuser to rest. It's not "smart," it's "well-tempered," hitting the right notes except for that bit of dissonant grittiness, which will hopefully disappear in the production units. Swaro focusers have enough True Grit, the world doesn't need more.

Glad to hear the RB is minimal with the 8x and not an issue with the 10x. Of course, people's eyes/brains are different, but if you are sensitive to RB, you're a good barometer.

I guess the only question I have is when do you plan to place your pre-order with Eagle Optics?

Me, I got to knock off a 7-Eleven, so I'm going to be busy lining up my getaway driver and bag man.

Brock

Adding my thanks for a terrific summary of first impressions . . .

Does anyone know if any of the stores mentioned that will stock the SFs are on the west coast as I'm thinking of timing a trip to the US with the store release of the SFs, so that I could make a decision based on trying them out myself.

Cheers
Mike

Cnick

No, SF does not replace HT at all. Both will run side-by-side in the Zeiss line-up so folks have a choice of what flavour of Zeiss suits them best.

Lee

If reported transmission values are correct the SF should be just visibly brighter than the EDGII, and the HT in turn should be just visibly brighter than the SF

CJ

Most of the time I couldn't see a difference in brightness between SF and HT but there was a period when rain threatened and the sky was black with cloud and then I could see that HT was a shade brighter.

I think you would only notice this in situations like the above or in the gloom of twilight.

Lee

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for the report.

As a Medicare recipient, OAP, I may have to wait until my current binoculars are twenty years of age, to replace them. By then, there will another new model to contemplate.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Bruce

That's a brilliant, outstanding write-up, thanks a lot. I only hope I can do one half as good when I get an SF and EL together for a shoot-out.

Lee

Some Follow-up Comments

The original post was written after attending the opening day of the Expo. Well, the next afternoon I received a call from the Tucson Audubon Society saying I won the drawing conducted by the Society for a Zeiss Terra binocular that Zeiss was kind enough to donate. So it was back to Tucson to collect the prize and to have another look at the Zeiss SF. That was perfect because my brother was interested in seeing the new SF and we had already decided to make the trip south and meet up with the same folks I was with the first trip.

I was wondering if I would have the same favorable impression on the second view. It is easy to get caught up in the excitement of a new product, then be disappointed later. In this case, there was no disappointment. Actually, I was even more impressed. The view was every bit as bright and vivid as I remembered it.

The primary purpose for this trip was to pick up the Terra and to have lunch with the friends from Tucson, so my viewing of the SF was much more limited this go-around. However I did check out a few things and one was to look again for rolling ball in the 10X42. This time I panned across the same row of bushes where I detected a small amount of RB in the 8X42. As expected, I did not see any in the 10X. I also did not notice any Absam ring as discussed in some of the other posts. Finally, Rich and Steve were sticking it out to the end and were just as friendly and cordial as on opening day.

In the original post I gave the focus mechanism a score of at least an 8.5 and maybe a 9. Being a little more relaxed and casual on this viewing, I would like to revise that score to at least a 9. It does not have quite the smooth precise feel of a Nikon EDG, but functionally, it is just as good. The trick for Zeiss will be to consistently obtain the same result from unit to unit as Nikon is able to do.

The big plus for me on this trip was I brought along a Nikon EDG-II 10X42 and was able to do a quick outdoor side by side with the Zeiss 10X SF. The EDG has been my favorite all-around binocular and one of the reasons is that I prefer the EDG view. As good as the EDG view is, I have to say I thought the Zeiss SF was a little bit better. Everything just stood out a little bit more. The view had more life and it was more immersive I think due to the wider FOV, the better light transmission, and the vivid but natural colors.

We were all very impressed with the SF. My brother is intending to buy one and it looks like my Tucson friends are traveling that same path. My thoughts are now less on if I should buy and instead, I am now thinking about a 10X vs an 8X. Umm, I guess there is no such thing as a free Zeiss Terra!

(Side note: The Terra is very good for its class, fast focus and all.)

--------------------------------------------

Thanks to all that posted kind remarks on the original post.

Brock - No Eagle Optics pre-order for me. I am willing to wait for full production. You are right about rolling ball impacting people differently. Where I saw a slight amount in the 8X, the other person with me who looked through the 8X did not see it.

MKinHK - The most likely store to ultimately stock the Zeiss SF is Cabela’s followed by Bass Pro. Cabela’s has stores in the states of Washington and Oregon. Bass Pro has stores in Washington and California. Consider contacting Zeiss Customer Support later this fall for information on west coast stocking dealers.

http://www.cabelas.com/stores/stores_home.jsp?WTz_l=Header

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...d=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&tab=3&tab=3

Lee - I am looking forward to reading your detailed review and impressions on the Zeiss SF.

Last edited:
Bruce - many thanks for the further comment on the SFs and the guidance regarding West Coast stores.

Really interested to try the SFs out and may well come down to the same decision as you between 8x and 10x if they perform well in the hand.

I bugged the local dealer in HK again and learned that Zeiss have dropped the list price to a mere HK$31,500 (US$4,064!!) and the store price has come down to HK$28,000 (US$3,612), but that's still far enough over the US price to cover an air fare, hence the enquiry about W Coast stores.

Lee - you mentioned a while ago about Zeiss's pricing strategy in HK sounding inconsistent with their standard tactic of keeping close to the SV. The dealer told me that Zeiss HQ sets the list price and there's nothing they can do about it. . .

Cheers
Mike

Hi to all, this afternoon i received a specimen of Zeiss Victory Sf. i've published a short preview on www.binomania.it
with some impressions versus two Swarovski Swarovision.
Obviously I need more time to write a review, however, I could not resist to write something.
Best Regards from Italy
Piergiovanni

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back