• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guide Book (1 Viewer)

It's got to be Collins Bird Guide. Also do yourself a favour and buy the large format (A4) version as well. The art work in the handbook is great but in the A4 version it's stunning!

I'll second the Collins Field Guide, it's by far the best field guide that I've come across and I have quite a few.
I recently renewed my RSPB membership and they threw in a hard back edition free of charge. If you're going to the birdfair, then they may be worth checkng out !

Could I also recommend the Macmillan field guide to Bird Identification as being an ESSENTIAL purchase. It doesn't have every species in, but rather concentrates on those species which may be difficult to tell apart ie Chiffchaff/Willow Warbler. I know it's available in paperback but I bought it when it first came out in 1988. I also bought several copies of a cheapo reprint I found in a remaindered book shop, which I gave to friends and kept in the car/rucksack/work. The companion volume - The Macmillan birders guide to european and middle eastern birds is also excellent, but not as essential.

Steve,
I'll go along with everything that has been said - Collins and the Macmillan should cover the majority of things. I have 2 copies of the former, one I bought and the second came as a freebie which I keep in the car.

Colin

Guide Books

Thanks Folks,
i have been looking around for a while but now i will take another look, i am always on the lookout for books.
the book i carried for a while was "the new birdwatchers pocket guide to britain & europe" peter hayman & rob hume.
it's a handy little book & fits nice into the pocket, the down side is a lot being left out but after all it is a pocket book.
bring back the old "Obervers books" I think we all started with these, Birds & Eggs. Dont mention that E word, i am talking of almost 40 years ago :eat:

BWP concise? or the Collins Guide. Now my bible. For the pocket I like the Mitchell Beazley Guide. It is handy to refresh you when you see an un familiar bird.

I do'nt take a guide into the field much as I like the excitment of looking it up when I get home.

CJ

JC,

you have a better memory than me so you must be younger ;)

yes i find the same as you, the good thing about the little Mitchell Beazley book is a nice size as we agreed and the bird pattern in the sky, thats very handy i find.
it would be nice to have when each bird lays etc but we should know that by now i think and if in any doubt can look it up when you get home wet & cold from a summers day out!!!!!!!!

all the best

If I didn't have me guide book I'd probably make a bigger eejut of meself than I do already! I have learned (well almost) that it pays to look before you speak. Not so long ago I called a very distant duck (albeit in bad light with me old scope) a pintail. Every pair of bins and scope swung round to where I was looking and there was a mass chorus of Ruddy!

Mike

Oh and my other favourite book other than the Collins is:

Norfolk: A Birdwatchers Site guide

[email protected]

I have found it invaluable, I actually got it from Amazon and no I don't know if they do 'em for other areas but its been great for me considering me moving up there and all.

Mike

if only

we all get it wrong, just think if you or I knew everything there is to know what would be the point in going out looking in the first place.
i like the challenge of spotting a bird way off in the distance & thinking I know it, then when it gets near it's a plane lolololololololololol
B :) maybe too much to drink lol

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back