• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To Sigma or not to Sigma (1 Viewer)

Hi, I am new here and only just getting into wildlife photography. I only have an 18-105 on my Nikon D90 at the mo and have been looking for a decent lens to help me get started. After a bit of research I think that The Sigma 150-500 or 50-500 might be the way forward but thought I would ask a bit of advice from those in the know? Any help would be great, Thanks.

Sigma all the way.......I haven't got either of the lenses you mention but my 300-800mm is sigma as well as my macro (150mm) and I can't fault them at all. The optics on my sigmas are first class and the price compared to Nikon is a no brainer....unless I win the lottery.

I'm sure you won't be dissapointed and I'm sure others will tell you the same about the 50/150-500's.

Hi
I use the Sigma 150-500 mm and do quite like it. There can be some QA/QC issues with the lens getting quite a mixed review amongst owners/users.
The lens is quite heavy but I still use mine exclusively handheld. The AF is fast and very quiet and the optical stabilisation works very well.
I find it performs best around f8.0 and center sharpness is very good. Edge sharpness does drop off which becomes quite noticeable in shots of say waders here the head of the bird in the center of the frame is very nice and sharp but the feet can look soft. Its not awful but is noticeable.
The lens lacks a focus limit switch which I find frustrating at times especially for birds in flight where it can sometimes seem like ages before it snaps into focus. Once locked on though it tracks well.
The lens in my opinion offers very good value for money especially with the 500mm long end option. I shoot with Canon and also have the 100-400. The 100-400 is a better lens in many respects but costs probably 500 pounds more. Depending on budget I would however certainly recommend the 150-500. I use mine an awul lot.
Andrew

Here's a few random pictures was taken with the 150-500 + Sigma 1.4 TC on a Canon 1D Mark 4.
Andrew

Attachments

• C53R9279-2.jpg
    C53R9279-2.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 142
  • C53R8893-2.jpg
    C53R8893-2.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 114
  • C53R8700-2.jpg
    C53R8700-2.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 132
  • C53R8021.jpg
    C53R8021.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 138
These were taken using a 7D and just the 150-500 without the TC.

Attachments

• IMG_3922.jpg
    IMG_3922.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3667.jpg
    IMG_3667.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_6959.jpg
    IMG_6959.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7060.jpg
    IMG_7060.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_6868.jpg
    IMG_6868.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 127
Thank you for all your replys. Andrew, your shots are great, if I can capture any half as good I will be pleased. I Think for my budget a second hand 150-500 is the way forward to get me started. I'm hoping I can pick one up for £500 or just under as you can now pick them up new for just over £600 online. If anyone hears of a good one that someone is not using I would be very interested. Thanks again.

Hi Grasshopper98

Keep your eyes on the classified adds of this forum as they regularly turn up there for sale. Good luck.
Andrew

Thank you Hor Kee,

That lens was perfect and I tought the chap had accepted an offer yesterday only to send me a message when I was sending payment to say he was selling to someone else. I am quite disappointed as I really wanted to get started with my wildlife photography. If anyone else knows of any good ones, please let me know. Thanks again

Thank you Hor Kee,

That lens was perfect and I tought the chap had accepted an offer yesterday only to send me a message when I was sending payment to say he was selling to someone else. I am quite disappointed as I really wanted to get started with my wildlife photography. If anyone else knows of any good ones, please let me know. Thanks again

2 Nikon fits here:

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/search/Sigma%20150-500?keyword=Sigma+150-500&search_submit=SEARCH+PRODUCTS&used=on

Last edited:
Hi
I use the Sigma 150-500 mm and do quite like it. There can be some QA/QC issues with the lens getting quite a mixed review amongst owners/users.
The lens is quite heavy but I still use mine exclusively handheld. The AF is fast and very quiet and the optical stabilisation works very well.
I find it performs best around f8.0 and center sharpness is very good. Edge sharpness does drop off which becomes quite noticeable in shots of say waders here the head of the bird in the center of the frame is very nice and sharp but the feet can look soft. Its not awful but is noticeable.
The lens lacks a focus limit switch which I find frustrating at times especially for birds in flight where it can sometimes seem like ages before it snaps into focus. Once locked on though it tracks well.
The lens in my opinion offers very good value for money especially with the 500mm long end option. I shoot with Canon and also have the 100-400. The 100-400 is a better lens in many respects but costs probably 500 pounds more. Depending on budget I would however certainly recommend the 150-500. I use mine an awul lot.
Andrew
hi I have the 150-500 and endorse the above remarks. And to add that you need good light and manual focus when using the converter on a 7D or your Nikon. Best wishes. Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back