• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent sketches (1 Viewer)

Thankyou as ever for your humbling comments, people. Phil, you did , indeed, see colour my man. I chucked a dark blue coloured pencil in my bag in case I chanced upoon a much desired bird - male Blue and White Flycatcher (Colleen, think Black-throated Blue Warbler but shaped as a flycatcher!) Again, I dipped on 'em, so the excercise wasn't entirely wasted. After sketching this gem, I learned of a male nearby! Talk about losing a tenner and finding a quid!

Weird selection here: Wryneck pretending to be a branch and Greenshank down one of those Chinese holes. A rapid sketch to charm our Chinese guide - in foreign lands it has to be action, not words!

To quote Darrell Clegg, Cornwall recorder and all round top lad ' god made all birds in one go, and then he made pipits and wagtails' or something like that.

In tribute, here's Forest Wag ( magical creatures - the head remains still while the body shakes!) and stonking male Citrine Wag (Prothonatary warbler-yellow, Colleen!) Such a striking bird had us scratching our heads re race, but I reckon it has to be very worn 'citreola' male. I've put this in especially for Mr. Andrews who says monochrome is unacceptable for such a bird! He's right, but you have to do what you can with the tools at hand!

More to come

Cheers, Russ

Attachments

• Wryneck.jpg
    Wryneck.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Forest wag (2).jpg
    Forest wag (2).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Cit wag.jpg
    Cit wag.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 63
Citrine Citrine ..... that means yellow right? wheres the yellow Russ? you can always add a bit now you know....:-O

super sketches....

The citrine wag does look like a stonking bird, you've captured what I see as the inherent 'smoothness' of waggies perfectly.

Mike

what a stunning set - rather envious not only for the fantastic birds that I'd love to see, but also for the fantastic sketches of them!

Cheers all.
Finishing off with thrushes - this selection a of eye-broweds and a skulking Whites, although not skulking enough! Incredible ceatures; almost a cross between a thrush and a nightjar. If you love your thrushes, then Beidaihe the place to see 'em - several species (Siberian included). Not scatty, brief flight views either. If you've got the time you could sketch 'em to your heart's content!

One more lot to come.

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• Eyebrwd thrsh 1.jpg
    Eyebrwd thrsh 1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Eye brd thrsh 2.jpg
    Eye brd thrsh 2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Eye bwrd thrsh 3.jpg
    Eye bwrd thrsh 3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Whites.jpg
    Whites.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 45
Never seen these birds and I don't know if they have any relation to our North American thrushes, but they sure do look it. They just say THRUSH.

the usual high standard of your sketching....I love the look of that first page....
lets see...what color are thrushes?;)

Cheers guys,
Three more thrushes: Whites (this time!) , male and female White-throated Rock Thrush and a Dusky/Naumann's intergrade -don't ask! You could spend three weeks in late April/early May just sorting these birds out.

One more to come then it's back to local birds.

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• Whites (2).jpg
    Whites (2).jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 35
  • WTRR 1.jpg
    WTRR 1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 39
  • WTRR2.jpg
    WTRR2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 44
  • WTRR3.jpg
    WTRR3.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DMT.jpg
    DMT.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 39
Russ,

Your prolificity never ceases to amaze me!

I adore these thrushes. Untamed, remarkable, fresh captures. A treasure to behold.

Sort of re-invests faith in Wildlife Art in general! It has actually insptred me to get out and sketch more. Your work is a true inspiration to all. Love it!

Cheers guys,
Thrushes have a certain something, and are a nice group to chase around the world, and sketch.

My last post from China: Chinese Bulbuls and male Amur Flacon.

Chinese bulbuls is not a species to usually get the pulse racing, but these two birds were available from my window when it was chucking it down, and I was starting to suffer from sketching withdrawal symptoms. Lovely shapes and loads of character, and unlike many SE asian bulbuls they are very obliging.

Male Amur falcon quickly sketched (from a distance) whilst prospecting an old maggie's nest. I stuck the eye-shine in where I thought it was just to complete it - titivating I think it's called!

I'm itching to get out and sketch my local stuff as I write.

Cheers

Russ

Ps -I'm glad I'm serving up inspiration, Phil!

Attachments

• Chinese BB.jpg
    Chinese BB.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 05 June 2010.jpg
    05 June 2010.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 47
Great to have a longer look at these Russ, the Rock Thrush sketches are absolutely bang on, you've caught the jizz of this bird perfectly, not easy after studying all of those relatives!

Chinese bulbuls is not a species to usually get the pulse racing....

But they are a great bird. Like robins perhaps overlooked because of how common they are, but they are fun to watch, and fairly social and I'm quite fond of their singing. The thrushes are great to see, but I'm glad to see the common Chinese Bulbul get it's moment to be a star! Thanks!

they'd certainly get my pulse racing - your sketch shows them as very exciting and rather pretty things.

All way more exotic than anything I'm likely to see (although a trip to Singapore sometime in the future can't be ruled out!) But the sketches bring 'em home beautifully.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back