• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

Great to have two such distinguished guests in the studio/bar - whatever. Ed - keep really attentive with that piece of kit, I shudder at the very mention of 'chainsaw', knowing how much personal damage I can inflict with a mere scalpel! - I'll serve you up gallons of hot, black coffee, anyhting to keep your mind on the job. Show us a bit of progress, why don't ya?
welcome aboard Dave - chai latte on the counter! I was just thinking about your artistry this morning - strange that, isn't it. Contributions such as this one are more than welcome - it's lovely. Let us know if the record's accepted - be nice to have been involved in the revelation (closest I'm ever likely to get for a 'first' of anything!).
Cheers - Ssshhhluuurp!

timwootton said:
Ed - keep really attentive with that piece of kit, I shudder at the very mention of 'chainsaw', knowing how much personal damage I can inflict with a mere scalpel! - I'll serve you up gallons of hot, black coffee, anyhting to keep your mind on the job...

Tim- What a cheery welcome from the landlord and wise words of advice too. I do agree that after a couple of cans of Stella it would probably be appropriate to put on some protection but then that's true in so many walks of life.

DaveB- nice to hear from you and congrats on the minivet. NialM has asked if I would do a Nordmann's Greenshank for this year's Saemanguem campaign so once again it looks as though I shall be in breach of the "don't paint what you don't know" rule..

. . . after a couple of cans of Stella it would probably be appropriate to put on some protection but then that's true in so many walks of life.

If only I'd had someone advising me so sagely - wouldn't be in the bl**dy fix I'm in now - not that the kids aren't great, or anything . . .

"don't paint what you don't know" rule . . .

If I adhered to this - every canvas I produced would be a blank!!!

On and on and on (not the Longpigs . . . )

Trying to make soem inroads this morning - I'm guessing we'll be potting seeds this afternoon as it's a half decent day. May get some more finished tonight although with Utd v Lille on the box, that's a cou[ple of hours out of the working evening . . .

Attachments

• Seal6.jpg
    Seal6.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Seal7.jpg
    Seal7.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 131
'Once more unto the beers!' Or something like that.

The seals/oystercatchers is going to be a right little belter! It's interesting to see that you are working on the main foreground subjects before the background.

I'm getting back to my grey partridges for an hour now, will post them when they're done. (That sounds like I'm roasting 'em!)

Woody

Bit More . .

Squeezed in a wee bit more - possibly last session of the day, but we'll see . ...

Attachments

• Seal8.jpg
    Seal8.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 160
timwootton said:
Squeezed in a wee bit more - possibly last session of the day, but we'll see . ...

Coming along nicely Tim

Wouldn't mind stroking that little fellow on the head, probably lose a finger or two for it though!!

Matt

timwootton said:
Great to have two such distinguished guests in the studio/bar - whatever. Ed - keep really attentive with that piece of kit, I shudder at the very mention of 'chainsaw', knowing how much personal damage I can inflict with a mere scalpel! - I'll serve you up gallons of hot, black coffee, anyhting to keep your mind on the job. Show us a bit of progress, why don't ya?

Well the first cut has been made and there is definitely a bustard hidden in there..but it is going to be quite job to reveal it.

The plan was for it to be possible to sit on the end result, with tail as abackrest and head to hold onto, but really to look bustardish the tail has to be tilted forward.

It wouldn't really work as a bar stool either way...

Attachments

• bustardDSC_0003.jpg
    bustardDSC_0003.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 117
  • bustrdDSC_0003.jpg
    bustrdDSC_0003.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 116
Hi Tim iv been watching the rate at witch this painting has been progressing and have to conclude that you must have calouses on your fingers,the rate you go,any way if you got five mins to relax check this out. Go over to you tube and put in Lost John Locke Speed Painting. sorry i cant attach it but i aint got a clue how to, any way gota get off to work. sky larks isnt it great!

Just had a look at the new piece, Woody - absolutely beautiful. The birds are wonderfully captured - a beauty!
My youngest's middle name is Grace, too!

Yes, nice work Woody!

Seals will be a great success too Tim, love it as it is. The Oystercatchers really lift it for me thiugh. Look forward to the finished piece.

Am working on a layout for a displaying Capercaillie canvas at the minute, looking forward to painting this bird...

Capercaillie, eh Alan? - that's a surprise ;) - Let's see some prelims when you get chance. What about the maggie? - Don't leave that one to gather dust (er, in my opinion!).
Enjoy the game last night?
Cheers.

timwootton said:
Capercaillie, eh Alan? - that's a surprise ;) - Let's see some prelims when you get chance. What about the maggie? - Don't leave that one to gather dust (er, in my opinion!).
Enjoy the game last night?
Cheers.

The game was great! Pretty much controlled it from start to finish. Was delighted for Larson after he headed in the goal from Ronaldo,s sublime piece of play on the wing, look forward to the draw tomorrow!

Will post Capercaillie prelim's in a short while, downloading from camera now.

Magpie still on the Easel, having a thinking period on that one, will get back to it over the weekend I think.

PS;Prelim sketch here Tim...(edit)

Attachments

• acapersk1.jpg
    acapersk1.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Capersk2.jpg
    Capersk2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Took a cue from this thread and snapped a few shots of my latest while it was in progress. I think I should do this more often -- usually by the end of a piece I can't see the forest for the trees, so it's nice to go back and get an idea of where I was headed in the first place.

Attachments

• Tree Sparrows 20070218.jpg
    Tree Sparrows 20070218.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Tree Sparrows 20070225.jpg
    Tree Sparrows 20070225.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Tree Sparrows 20070308.jpg
    Tree Sparrows 20070308.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 154
Thanks for your comments on my partridges all.

Hey Ed, I was using a 00 size paintbrush the other day and I see you're wielding a b****y great chainsaw! Talk about tools for the job! I'll be keeping an eye open for progress reports.

That's a very delicate piece you've got going Jomo, I like it a lot and I agree it is nice to see progress, I'll have to try it.

Tim, how're the seals/oystercatchers, have you burnt out one too many brushes or got friction burns?!

I was sketching on the coach last night and I found myself thinking; 'Why am I doing this?' I have come to the conclusion that as I have no other reason I'm doing it for the sheer pleasure that drawing gives me. Anyone else ever get that feeling?

Woody

Attachments

• passenger.jpg
    passenger.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 97
Have only just caught up with this thread, very informative to see how everybody's pictures develop in different ways, Tim, am looking forward to seeing the seals and oystercatchers when finished, got to say I wish it was on my desk, I'd love to be the one painting it!
Oh well, better put away the Marsh Tit I've started, got to clear up the studio as am giving an English lesson this afternoon.

Thank you all for the concern regarding my pyrotechnical abiltiy with brushes - I actually get paint on the canvas quite quickly but not a-la-Pollock or anything! The reason is simple - I get so bored with my paintings that it's such a chore to finish the bl**dy things - I'm never anything like happy with anything I do (can't actually remember a piece i'm remotely proud of - and I'm being totally honest). I always wish I could paint like someone else (and that someone may not be anyone in particular, just anyone whose work I like at the time) - Oh and this isn't a plea for patronage - I'm glad folk seem to like what's going on in the studio, but I'm sure that's as much down to the 'Clientelle' who drop in, as my own particular offerings.
Been trying to build paths through the quagmire which is our property recently and silly football keeps getting in the way of my 'work', but I hope to finish this later today (no promises though !!!! ;) ).
Oh - I've just thought on, the Shorteared owl at Windwick I still like quite a lot and there's a couple of landscaspes which I think I've posted here - if I haven't - I will.

Attachments

• Seal9.jpg
    Seal9.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 120
And just as i post this, Nick comes to the rescue with an uplifting comment - Cheers Nick. Let's see the Marsh Tit (you sure it's not a willow . . . . .;) ) - I mean, did you hear it call? - sorry, just taking the pee out of a few of the ID threads that get posted - hilarious some of 'em!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back