• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Names lacking in the Key (1 Viewer)

l_raty

laurent raty
(From time to time, I run against a name that I can't find at all in the Key; I do not necessarily make the effort to start a new thread just for this reason [especially in cases where I don't feel that the thread would be very likely to exhume significant new information]. But if there was a thread available just to drop the name, maybe I [and perhaps also others] would be more likely to do this... So here is one, to start with.)

heraelaciniae
OD not seen (Foschi 1978; syn. Galerida cristata apuliae). A toponym for the sanctuary of Hera Lacinia at Capo Colonna, Calabria (Italy) ?

(Treated as a valid ssp in the AERC TAC list of 2003. [Hence, presumably, also in BWP Concise; not a valid taxon in BWP proper.])

Many thanks, Laurent. I welcome this new thread, which should highlight any omissions, but not misspellings, from the Key. Although Galerida cristata heraelaciniae is regarded as a synonym of G. c. apuliae in HBWAlive I missed it!

Without having seen the OD it is to find in...

Foschi, F. Una nuova sottospecie de Cappellaccia "Galerida cristata herae laciniae". Gli Uccelli d'Italia, 3: 192-193. See p. 193.

(I assume Ferrante Foschi and not Ugo Foscolo Foschi was the author??)

Hello James and other readers of forgotten items:
Here's another modest contribution:

sibbensis (Lophoceros): L. sibbensis Sharpe, Bull.Brit.Orn.Club, iv, no.XXVI, 1895, p.xxxii. Holotype in Nat.Hist.Museum. Habitat: Sibbe. From Donaldson Smith’s expedition from Somaliland to Lake Rudolf, Africa.
[Sharpe, Hand-list II, p.69]= Tockus deckeni

I think I tried to find Sibbe some time ago and did not succeed. Sibbe is an obsolete Dutch word for: family, clan (German: Sippe); there is also some tiny village of that name in the southeastern part of the Netherlands. Nothing for Africa. Maybe one needs a historical gazette for it . . . (or the report of the expedition).

I checked another name, which is in the Key, but still puzzling: Joropus. Obviously Hodgson coined this name (also as Ioropus) with Jora (Iora, now = Aegithina) as a base. As the Key indicates, the Ashmolean Catalogue says Iora is an ancient Greek name for an unidentified bird; it is the female form of Greek ioros, a gate guard, porter. I wonder what could be so special, anatomically, in the feet of Aegithina (Iora) species, that Hodgson found a reason to coin a generic name Ioropus (Iora-foot). After all, Iora's are normal songbirds like other families of smaller size and normal shape of legs and toes . . .
Maybe I should have made a separate topic of this, but just today I checked these names in the Key!
Cheers,
Jan van der Brugge

Zoonomen lists Buteo sokotrensis Riesing, 2001
[...]
Unavailable online?
[here]
But it's clearly not a formal name proposal. (No statement that the name is intended as new, name between quotes indicating that it is not used formally, no description of any kind, no type designation...)

I'm not sure if this qualifies. Ortalis canicollis ungeri Steinbacher, 1962 . Because it is mentioned in the HBW. They say: "Birds of Paraguayan Chaco separated as race ungeri, but validity doubtful." Vaurie agreed with the only two subspecies organization. The bird is from Orloff Paraguay. The town was set up by Russian German speaking migrants. Orloff is a name given by Mennonite Brethren gave to kolonies? It has another name Fernheim? The bird was named for Jakob Unger.
http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Oreo/oreo00658a.jpg .

A. [Ardea] xanthopoda PELZELN (here, in Hartlaub) 1860 [syn. Ardeola idae HARTLAUB 1860 ... ? ]

Anas lophyra FORSTER 1844 (here) [syn. "Anas cristata Lin. Gm. Lath" = Anas specularioides KING 1828 ... ?]

Gallinula eurizona TEMMINCK 1826 (text here, plate here) [syn. Rallina fasciata RAFFLES 1822 ... ?)]

Björn, many thanks for your trio of omissions. Despite Temminck 1826, his name eurizona has been misspelled/corrected to euryzona by most subsequent authors (e.g. Sharpe, 1894, Cat. Birds Brit. Mus., XXIII, 75; Taylor, 1998, Rails, 201).

What is intended is "the typical" form, as compared to the var. pica [here].
Note that the references cited under Copsychus albospecularis typicus include the OD of Copsychus albospecularis; and that the trinomen is attributed to Eydoux & Gervais, who authored this OD in 1836, not claimed by Milne Edwards & Grandidier who authored the 1879 work. In fact it is really just "another way" to mean what we would now call Copsychus albospecularis albospecularis, while avoiding to repeat the same name twice (as advocated e.g. by Sclater [here]); there is no intent to describe a new taxon, and indeed no real intent to create a new name either.

• the extinct, sub-fossil Tyto noeli (†) ARREDONDO 1972
Dedicada a Noel González Gotera, colaborador en las excavaciones de la localidad tipica. [Foot-note, p.417]
The OD is to be seen in the Bird Paleontology thread Nedd's Barn Owl ... (here)

In the same thread Fred also kindly posted the OD for invalid (!?), as well extinct and sub-fossil "Tyto neddi" STEADMAN & HILGARTNER 1999 (which is included in today's HBW Alive Key). According to Suárez & Olson, 2015 the latter is a synonym of the former.

I think we may take Witherby's opening sentence as the reasoning behind mira; "IN working out the plumages of the Little Owl for the Practical Handbook, I was very surprised ...." (my underlining). It is not an eponym.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back