• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zen Ray ED-4? (1 Viewer)

Hi, Steve C. I'm new to BF. I have appreciated your reviews of binos. I posted the following in response to welcome posts and was informed I should post in sub-forums. Sorry, not sure of proper posting protocol as of yet. Anyway here's my post: My choices are narrowed down to ZEN ED3, ED4 (release mid-July) ZEN Prime HD (Tantein review 11/2014) and Maven B.2 (based on Steve C's enthusiastic review). My 2 old Monarchs 8x43 6.3 and 12x42 5 are not cutting it for migrating hawks. I just can't go thru another fall season being constantly frustrated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ;-)

Last edited:
Hi, Steve C. I'm new to BF. I have appreciated your reviews of binos. I posted the following in response to welcome posts and was informed I should post in sub-forums. Sorry, not sure of proper posting protocol as of yet. Anyway here's my post: My choices are narrowed down to ZEN ED3, ED4 (release mid-July) ZEN Prime HD (Tantein review 11/2014) and Maven B.2 (based on Steve C's enthusiastic review). My 2 old Monarchs 8x43 6.3 and 12x42 5 are not cutting it for migrating hawks. I just can't go thru another fall season being constantly frustrated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ;-)

Susan,

Jerry Liguori, in his book, HAWKS AT A DISTANCE recommended using wide field "High Quality" binoculars for Hawk watching.

Regardless of their power he said that they should be high quality. See page 10. He used Zeiss 7x42 Victory FL binoculars with a very wide FOV which are now discontinued. Its FOV was 450'@1000 yards. Your 8x43 Monarch has a FOV of 330'@1000yards (6.3º) which is very narrow for an 8x42. Get one with 420'@1000yards (or 8º) and it should be close enough.

I believe that Zen Ray makes binoculars with those specs which will be useful to you for a reasonable price.

Bob

Last edited:

Hello Susan,

Any of the binocular on your list are good choices. The ZEN ED 4 remains a mystery as of yet. I've communicated some with Charles some about it and it should be pretty good.

Your choices do bring up some questions. All are large binoculars, certainly larger than the Monarch 8x. From my observations of women and binoculars they seem to prefer smaller over larger. How you fit there I of course have no idea ;). Women usually have a narrower pupil distance and that might run you squarely afoul of the ZEN Prime HD and its very large in diameter eye cups. For example my brother and nephew are both pretty large people, but have narrow IPD's and don't go for the ZEN Prime HD at all. Measure your IPD from your other binoculars and if it is much narrower than 58 mm you may well have some trouble. Eye glasses will change that approach as the presence of glasses removes that.

I continue to be seriously impressed with the Maven B2. Time has solidified my opinion of this glass. Just this morning I was hawk and eagle watching while I was waiting for the water trough to fill up. I used the Maven to Bag a bunch of Red Tailed Hawks, six Bald eagles, a Golden Eagle, a couple of Ravens, a few Turkey Vultures, and too many to count mostly Ring Billed Gulls (they were too far away to really identify, but that is what 95% of the Gulls around here are). Two of the Bald eagles were well over 3 miles off. That binocular will certainly do the trick for raptors. But it is BIG. If you like smaller I am really impressed with the Maven B3.

I don't think you will easily find any ZEN ED 3's. I think most have been sold out of inventory in anticipation of the ED-4.

I used to have a Monarch and your choices will pretty well smoke it. I've never been much impressed with any of the Monarch series save the Monarch 7 which is a LOT better than the 5.

Last edited:
Thnx for taking the time to reply, Bob.
I do have the Liguorie guide ;-)
I see that both the ZEN ED3 8x43 and their Prime 8x42 have a much wider FOV at 426 then their corresponding binos at 10x43 and 10x42 with a 340 FOV.
regards-Susan

Hello Susan,

Any of the binocular on your list are good choices. The ZEN ED 4 remains a mystery as of yet. I've communicated some with Charles some about it and it should be pretty good.

Your choices do bring up some questions. All are large binoculars, certainly larger than the Monarch 8x. From my observations of women and binoculars they seem to prefer smaller over larger. How you fit there I of course have no idea ;). Women usually have a narrower pupil distance and that might run you squarely afoul of the ZEN Prime HD and its very large in diameter eye cups. For example my brother and nephew are both pretty large people, but have narrow IPD's and don't go for the ZEN Prime HD at all. Measure your IPD from your other binoculars and if it is much narrower than 58 mm you may well have some trouble. Eye glasses will change that approach as the presence of glasses removes that.

I continue to be seriously impressed with the Maven B2. Time has solidified my opinion of this glass. Just this morning I was hawk and eagle watching while I was waiting for the water trough to fill up. I used the Maven to Bag a bunch of Red Tailed Hawks, six Bald eagles, a Golden Eagle, a couple of Ravens, a few Turkey Vultures, and too many to count mostly Ring Billed Gulls (they were too far away to really identify, but that is what 95% of the Gulls around here are). Two of the Bald eagles were well over 3 miles off. That binocular will certainly do the trick for raptors. But it is BIG. If you like smaller I am really impressed with the Maven B3.

I don't think you will easily find any ZEN ED 3's. I think most have been sold out of inventory in anticipation of the ED-4.

I used to have a Monarch and your choices will pretty well smoke it. I've never been much impressed with any of the Monarch series save the Monarch 7 which is a LOT better than the 5.
Thanks for responding to me, Steve C, and sharing your experience with the Maven B2 n B3!
Bear with me as I'm a bit 'posting challenged'… will have to study and experiment further.
The B2 is actually out of my investment comfort zone… though it's so tempting. With the right harness, I could probably deal with the weight. B3 FOV is great, but the 8x mag. concerns me. Frank D also gave a thumbs up to the B3s.
I've a very experienced group of hawk watchers and swaros, some swear by 10 magnification, are their bin of choice.
Anyway… had you volunteered to try out and review the new Zen ED4s? Or know who is? I'm dying to know if they'll be another game changer... as you proclaimed the B2s to be.

Susan,

Increasing magnification decreases fov when comparing different magnifications of the same model. For determining a wide field glass, the simple method is to multiply the magnification by the number of degrees in the fov, when that number is 60* or over you are dealing with what would be typically be considered as wide field. You can determine the size of the field in degrees by dividing the listed number of feet by 52.5. This simple calculation gives you the apparent field of view (afov). The afov of the ZEN ED3 8x and 10 x is the same despite the narrower actual field of the 10x. Anything over 325 feet for a 10x is pretty good.

If the Maven B2 price is a bit steep, then the ZEN ED 4 is likely a good choice. But until they are available, just how good is an unknown. You might give the Nikon Monarch 7 a look. While I have not seen one, you might consider the Vanguard models, as they seem to get pretty decent reviews. You will need to visit as many places that carry binoculars as you can reasonably access, and you may need to utilize the return policies of places like Eagle Optics. You can order a couple and keep the winner, returning the loser within 30 days.

In general I'm not generally a real fan of much over 8x. But 10x certainly has its uses. Magnification choice is a pretty personal thing, so what your desired level is, is up to you. If you go 10x, you will probably eventually need an 8x as a second glass.

I am settled on the Maven B2 and B3 as a pretty much do everything that can be done two binocular combination. I'd not let the 9x deter you, it will show what 10x will, IMHO. If you go there, the B2 comes in an 11x model as well. A 7x36 ZEN ED and a 10x ZEN ED will do pretty much the same thing, as would a Monarch 7 in 8x30 and 10x42. Monarchs would likely be reasonably easy to find. When you find one you like, trust your eyes.

Just take as much time as you can, good luck and ask away.

Last edited:
Hey Steve C,
I don't wish to appear as if I've not been doing my home work (the B2 9x45 and 11x45 duh… I knew that). I appreciate your insight on the B2 n B3 as perhaps the closest to a perfect combo.
Sounds like you've got a pretty nice life out there ;-) Rhode Island is the ocean state and has a different kind of beauty…. but not much good for any serious hawk watching (wonderful migrating ducks, lots of nesting ospreys and snowy owls winter here). I drive 1 1/2 hrs, each way, to the summit of Mt Wachusett, 2006 ft, in Princeton MA. The past two years have yielded some good numbers for our little area of the world; mostly broad-wings mid-Sept… but a nice sampling of the 11 hawks we see in these parts.
Thanks so much for your insights. Look forward to your review of the Zen ED4 ;-D

I usually find:

I can assume nothing.
I can assume too little.
I can assume too much.
I can find I am almost always wrong ;)

At any rate good luck in your search.

EDIT: Another good choice for raptors is the new Leupold Mojave Pro Guide HD 10x42. Not quite a bright as the Maven, but pretty nice optics. A review will be up today sometime.

Last edited:
I'd love to be included on the list for any variety of ED4's & would happily write up a summary!

Thanks for considering!

Nada chance, asshrts. It's always the same people who get the freebies to review, namely, Frank D. and Steve C.

What you need to do is write up some comprehensive reviews on the bins you already own or borrow some from friends and family, and then after you've posted them, send a link to the company you want to loan you bins to review. If the company markets its bins to hunters, it also might help if you sent them a photo of yourself in a camo outfit.

Be fair and balanced in your review, but always lean towards the manufacturer in the end. If you totally pan a bin, you'll never get another freebie. If it really sucks, and you can't force yourself to say anything nice about it, just send it back with a thank you note like Steve does.

Don't start your review with "a big, brown truck rolled up to the house yesterday..." That opener has been taken. ;)

This book is required reading:

Diplomacy

Good Luck! I look forward to reading your reviews.

I could never do it myself, because my tongue is too sensitive to bite. :eat:

mocknroller

Zen Ed4 Bins

I usually find:

I can assume nothing.
I can assume too little.
I can assume too much.
I can find I am almost always wrong ;)

At any rate good luck in your search.

EDIT: Another good choice for raptors is the new Leupold Mojave Pro Guide HD 10x42. Not quite a bright as the Maven, but pretty nice optics. A review will be up today sometime.

Hi Steve! Will you be reviewing the Zen ED4 anytime soon? Anticipation is building...

Zen ED4s

David, we are getting really close to finish the pilot run. From the past experience, we decided to hold off the product release information until the new product has passed all of our specification and requirements. I cannot wait to take some to the field in the next few weeks. Actually, I may want to offer a couple of pairs for BF members to try out before general release. ;) Anybody?

Hi Charles. Have you provided a couple of ED4s to BF members for review? And do you still anticipate a mid-July release?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back