• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED80 Observational use (1 Viewer)

XsCode

Hi all

I've was drooling over spotting scopes in Wilkinsons Cameras today until I realised I already had one of the best spotting scopes on the market. Does anyone else use their Astroscope for observation? What's your setup? What magnification do you find optimal?

I have a little spare money so I'm looking at a Camlink TPVIDEO1 Tripod and finally ordering a 2" 45mm eyepiece extension, Is there anything else anyone recommends for Observation and photographic use?

TIA

P.S. Don't bother with the Astro-Engineering Barlows for photographic use, I managed to try it out last weekend and it made the photo's VERY soft.

I use mine with an william optics 45 erecting prism and a TS SuperView 30mm eyepiece. All 2".
I also have the baader zoom 8-24, but prefer the wider view of the 30mm, although not as powerful in zoom. Never used a spotting scope, so don't know what i'm missing, if any. I'm glad to be able to use the 80ED both as a spotting scope an tele objective. However, I use the spotting scope option very little, perhaps 10-20 %.

I don't use as a spotting scope very much. For eyepieces I have a William Optics DCL-28, a Baader hyperion 17mm and an amici 90° prism. Both eyepieces are threaded so I can attach a camera if needed and both are left over from my spotting scope digiscoping adventures. I wouldn't go back from the 80ED though. |=)|

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back