• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Novice's early observations on DSLR photography. (2 Viewers)

Minolta photos

Keith Reeder said:
Any chance you could put a few picture into your gallery, Ron? I'd be very interested to see some examples.

Keith,
OK, I'll work on it in the next few days. Maybe I can figure out how to do it.
What I meant to say up above was that you can use a slower shutter speed, not a faster one with image stabilization. I said quadruple but I meant to say one-fourth. Big difference!
RH

Don't worry too much Ron - there has been quite a bit of discussion on here about image stabilisation, and I imagine that anyone who has followed the subject will have realised what you really meant.

Rather funny to say the least... It could be said that it's mostly true as well!

senatore said:
I can add to my initial list after spending a day with the camera at Draycote Water.During the day I had six chances to take a pic of a Kestrel.On four attempts I scared the bird away which is fair enough and due to my lack of fieldcraft but the other two occasions my failure to take a pic was down to one : the camera was not switched on and two: the lens cap was on.Of course the bird flew off in both cases.How pathetic is that!Is there no hope for me?
Sorry to hear about that episode...

You may want to try what I do when I'm out birding: the lens cap stays in a pocket and the camera is never turned off. I doubt you need to turn your camera off... It isn't like it's going to eat your batteries by just sitting idle for a few hours.

senatore said:
At long last the sun came out here.The first time since I bought the camera and that's 14 days ago.In the afternoon I dashed round my usual countrysde circuit and would you believe it I did'nt take one shot as there were no birds about.Ah Well !!! I shall try again today.

Max.

Fellow sufferer here Max, same set-up same experiences its been raining for months.

Had one day of sunshine and it was off to Kielder Forest, not a spuggie in sight :-C. Should have took some landscape shots but didn't want to take my nice almost unused bigma off the camera in case something turned up, it didn't.

Look forward to some top class photos from you soon.

brian.

cuddy said:
Had one day of sunshine and it was off to Kielder Forest, not a spuggie in sight :-C. Should have took some landscape shots but didn't want to take my nice almost unused bigma off the camera in case something turned up, it didn't.

Can these birds actually tell what sort of lens you've got attached?

Back in January I was at Langwell Valley in Scotland, hoping for a Golden Eagle. Just before we were due to leave I decided that I was out of luck, so I popped on the short lens for some landscape shots. Three minutes later a wonderful Golden Eagle flew almost overhead and was mobbed by a Raven (can a single bird 'mob'?). It would have made a great shot, beautifully emphasizing the size of the Eagle. I'm sure it had been flying about in the distance just waiting for me to remove the long lens.

hollis_f said:
Can these birds actually tell what sort of lens you've got attached?

Back in January I was at Langwell Valley in Scotland, hoping for a Golden Eagle. Just before we were due to leave I decided that I was out of luck, so I popped on the short lens for some landscape shots. Three minutes later a wonderful Golden Eagle flew almost overhead and was mobbed by a Raven (can a single bird 'mob'?). It would have made a great shot, beautifully emphasizing the size of the Eagle. I'm sure it had been flying about in the distance just waiting for me to remove the long lens.
They certainly know that you have put your camera back in the bag!!!!

Max.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back