• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new to painting (1 Viewer)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
i have recently tried my hand at oil painting having never held a brush before i have been to some classes painting landscapes using the "bob ross" technique with some moderate success for my next project i am hoping to attempt a reed bed and was hoping to include some birds possibily a marsh harrier and wondered if anyone had any tips (cheats) to acheive a good image

Hi Paul,
I'm a watercolour painter, not an oil painter. Re. "cheats" are you referring to getting a good drawing first? I suggest a lot of practice to get the drawing right. When you have one you're happy with, you can use a grid to change the size, or to transfer it to your canvas. You might want to check out an artist's website I belong to, called Wet Canvas! They have forums for just about any media, including oils, and drawing. You could probably pick up a lot of tips there. Like Bird Forum, it is free to join. But you can check it out, have a look in the forums, etc., without joining. The url is: www.wetcanvas.com. If you decide to join, you can indicate that I referred you. My username there is MLQ.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back