• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Binoculars (1 Viewer)

I have a pair of Leica ultravid 8x32 can someone help me with the date manufacturer
Sniper starts with 1583xxx

Hi Woodsman,

Welcome to Bird Forum!:hi:

It can't be done from the serial number unless you worked for Leica and know the formula.

Leica introduced the Ultravid line in 2007. Later came the improved Ultravid HD and after that, and recently, came the current Ultravid HD Plus.

Do you have the manual that came with the binocular or any paperwork that can ID into which which of the 3 iterations above that it fits in? You can get a loose estimate of its age that way. The manual should have a date of printing on it.

Bob

Last edited:
No need for the manual. The model is written on the bin. Ultravid, Ultravid HD (in white), or Ultravid HD (the HD in red for the HD Plus).

--AP

Hi Woodsman,

Welcome to Bird Forum!:hi:

It can't be done from the serial number unless you worked for Leica and know the formula.

Leica introduced the Ultravid line in 2007. Later came the improved Ultravid HD and after that, and recently, came the current Ultravid HD Plus.

Do you have the manual that came with the binocular or any paperwork that can ID into which which of the 3 iterations above that it fits in? You can get a loose estimate of its age that way. The manual should have a date of printing on it.

Bob

Hi Bob!

Leica introduced the Ultravid in early 2004 and I bought mine end of December 2005.

Andreas

And also would theyes be called are the BR. I have no paperwork with them got from my dad before he had a house fire and all other was burnt thanks for you time

And also would theyes be called are the BR. I have no paperwork with them got from my dad before he had a house fire and all other was burnt thanks for you time

BR means they have rubber coverings. It is the standard covering.

Leica also made a special BL version with a leather covering. They were only made in 8x42 and 10x42 versions and they are still being sold today with the original Ultravid coatings. I have a Leica 8x42 BL.

Last edited:
They are just the Ultravid have no hd on them
So they would be made for 2004 to when?

Yours were made between 2004 and 2007.

The HD versions were introduced in 2007. See the comment from the Company Seven website below.

"In 2007 the ULTRAVID HD series were announced then gradually introduced, although externally appearing identical the original ULTRAVID BR, the HD series incorporate several refinements described in detail below. "

http://company7.com/leica/lei42hd.html

Bob

Last edited:
Demand would dictate. A 2012-2015 Trinovid can stop be found new for $900. My best guess $600-$700 without seeing pics. Many places rated it on par with the Ultravid.

My opinion is Leica resale gets hurt slightly by non-transferable warranty. US customer service doesn't have a great history, but I've read they have made a focused effort the last couple years.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back