• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade

A couple of days to go before 2012 officially begins, but here is the spot to put you offerings of your Garden (Yard) list for the year 2012. May we all have success in seeing the birds in our gardens (yards) this year!

Might I request the regulars put a few snaps of their garden/feeding station/balcony as the case maybe, so we can all see the settings of the year's offerings...

I can confidently predict both my list will sit at zero for at least a week from the kick off ;)

Might I request the regulars put a few snaps of their garden/feeding station/balcony as the case maybe, so we can all see the settings of the year's offerings...

I can confidently predict both my list will sit at zero for at least a week from the kick off ;)

Good idea, Jos.

Where are you jaunting off to now?

Seeing as I had to rush off to work this morning, I was too intent on getting there to even notice what birds were around as I headed off. As a result my current list stands at zero.;) (Got back long after dark)

I may live in the tropics but I think I will be lucky to reach 50 species for the year as I don't have a garden. Also I live in a city. Also I'm not by the coast.

I will however pull my finger out and try and see what flyovers I can get from the car park out front without getting arrested if I produce a pair of bins. Having said that, there's some great rainforest close by and if I lived a few hundred metres closer to Centenary Lakes I would comfortably get well over a hundred species. It will be interesting to see if I can strain my ears enough to hear some of the stuff down there.:t:

Will take (wet) photos when my battery charges. A highly predictable 32 species so far, might have been 33 if I'd seen the Peregrine kill its Grey Plover rather than eat it!

Shelduck, Scoter, Red-throated Diver, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Peregrine, Oystercatcher, Knot, Curlew, Redshank, Black-headed Gull, Common Gull Lesser Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Feral Pigeon, Collared Dove, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch

Here is my unfair advantage - two photos of the back garden (complete with pond, stream and feral Mallard) and the front garden scrub and mutflats/sea

Attachments

• SANY0001.JPG
    SANY0001.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 405
  • SANY0002.JPG
    SANY0002.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 379
  • SANY0003.JPG
    SANY0003.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 370
  • SANY0004.JPG
    SANY0004.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 331
Hot and windy today and the birds hunkered down. Bit better later on, so I sat out the front with my bins (getting some very dirty looks) and watched the trees and sky. This strategy paid off as I got a 'first' for the garden in the form of an Australian Hobby. So at the risk of getting arrested, I might do this regularly to boost my total.

The year list kicked off last night with a Scrub Fowl cackling from the forest and I added 22 other species out front this avo.

In the order they were heard/seen:

1) Orange-footed Scrub Fowl.
2) Laughing Kookaburra.
3) Helmeted Friarbird.
4) Fig Parrot
5) Yellow Oriole.
6) Rainbow Lorikeet.
7) Magpie Lark.
8) Common Mynah.
9) Scaly-breasted Lorikeet.
10) Brown Honeyeater.
11) Figbird.
12) Sulphur-crested Cockatoo.
13) Metallic Starling.
14) Yellow-bellied Sunbird.
15) Mistletoebird.
16) Spangled Drongo.
17) Pied Imperial Pigeon.
18) Australian Hobby.
19) Black Butcherbird.
20) White-rumped Swiftlet.
21) Yellow Honeyeater.
22) Spice Finch.
23) Peaceful Dove.

And here's the view from my balcony:

Couldn't upload a pic of out front. It kept saying 'upload failed'.

Apologies for the poor quality!

Attachments

• Back yard..jpg
    Back yard..jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 343
Will try to upload some photos later today, but I just had to let you gardeners out there know that my first day back in mine started REALLY well - as a bird that I failed to get all 2011 made a fly-by early on - being the very first finch of the year:

Common Crossbill !!

Total still in the twenties - and it was zero centigrade this am.

A medium sized suburban garden for me here in East Cheshire

20 species for me on Jan 1st, but will be happy to reach 60 in 2012 (59 in 2011)

Kittiwake at sea (100+in a feeding flock) and Redwing,overhead calling last night added so far today.

34 from the house/garden
17 directly over or in the garden
13 actually in the garden

Am 30 something at present..apart from a RRParakeet perched up 8' from the bedroom window!...only the 2nd ''perched'' garden visit in 29 years!..nothing else exceptional except that Jan 1 will I suspect, provide most garden watchers with their biggest single day count for the year? From here on in....the listing will be on to a ''daily total'' diminishing return. Never having ''garden year'' listed before (nothing to compare against), I was surprised to have achieved a 60% return for the year..against the previous 28 years tenancy!

How did your year's stats. compare against your overall total garden list?

I got 89 out of 120. But a mega amount of new species, including Marsh harrier, Red-throated diver, Great white egret and common tern.

Mine was 75% of my all time total. White-rumped and Broad-billed Sandpiper, American Herring Gull (if accepted) were the only real surprises, and even the WRS was the 3rd for the house.

Well, I tried to upload some photos but the uploads all failed!

You can see some of the views on other threads, I'll try a link later...

Currently on 33.

24. Goldfinch

25. Pied Wagtail

26. GBB Gull

(have currently got a grand count of 37 Lesser Redpoll fighting for the nyger feeders)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back