• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (2 Viewers)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Welcome one and all to 2016

Rules are: count any bird seen or heard from your home and garden/yard - or, Jos's case, estate!

Birds don't have to be in or over - just viewable or audible from your property.

Last edited:
Good morning H2 and Happy New Year to all the garden listers. B :)B :)
Late start today.
We have frost on the ground, for the first time this winter, here in South Norfolk.
Rob and I were lying in bed. Had we predicted the first bird we would hear this morning, we would not have laid odds on a mallard.
The second was much more predictable... a woodpigeon .
My New Years Resolution...to try and see this thread through this year, is one of them....
Best wishes, to all , Carol o:)

Last edited:
Happy New Year, Brenda.
Just been outside for the first time, today.
We live in a remote part of rural Norfolk, so I had the bliss of being stood in the garden with no traffic noise, whatsoever; not a single person or car seen.
Just a beautiful stillness.
The stillness was complemented by the frost, which has beautified all the blades of grass on our lawn.
The stillness was only permeated by the sound of birds... such an ideal way to start the day.
My third garden birds were a group of 10 jackdaws chattering to each other at the top of a tree; the fourth the sound then sight of three male pheasants; the fifth 2 carrion crows in flight and the sixth a blue tit busily hunting for food .

I'm in the lead for once - it won't last long - 28 so far, with a very unusual gull passage here - featuring Herring & Great BBs heading south.

I'm in the lead for once - it won't last long - 28 so far, with a very unusual gull passage here - featuring Herring & Great BBs heading south.

I'm in again H. Tawny Owl in the middle of the night; will post a list at the end of today.

1 Blue tit
2 Great tit
3 Long tailed tit
4 Robin
5 Chaffinch
6 House sparrow
7 Magpie
8 Blackbird
9 Ring Collared dove
10 Grey heron
11 Starling

Only very lightly, Carol.
The coastal listers run away with it very quickly.

Nothing unusual yet - just the normal stuff except for the large gulls. 4 finches, 5 corvids, 4 gulls, 3 tits, 3 pigeon/doves, Heron, Mallard, Redwing...

It seems that you all leave me in the dust already in the start. :smoke: (But this was not a competition - right? ;))

Just a six species at today:

#1. Hooded Crow
#2. Great Tit
#3. Blue Tit
#4. Tree Sparrow
#5. Blackbird
#6. Greenfinch

It seems that you all leave me in the dust already in the start. :smoke: (But this was not a competition - right? ;))

Just a six species at today:

#1. Hooded Crow
#2. Great Tit
#3. Blue Tit
#4. Tree Sparrow
#5. Blackbird
#6. Greenfinch

Excellent and Happy New Year...and we shall stand together I hope, united, in not regarding this as a competition o:)

Out birding almost all the daylight hours, so:

1. Blue Tit.

Also a Great Tit just over the fence in the neighbour's garden, does that count? What's the ticking rules, please? (preferably edit them into the first post so they're easy to find! :t:)

Done.

But basically seen or heard from your home & garden. Doesn't have to be in it or over it.

H

Last edited:
Happy New Year, Brenda.
Just been outside for the first time, today.
We live in a remote part of rural Norfolk, so I had the bliss of being stood in the garden with no traffic noise, whatsoever; not a single person or car seen.
Just a beautiful stillness.
The stillness was complemented by the frost, which has beautified all the blades of grass on our lawn.
The stillness was only permeated by the sound of birds... such an ideal way to start the day.
My third garden birds were a group of 10 jackdaws chattering to each other at the top of a tree; the fourth the sound then sight of three male pheasants; the fifth 2 carrion crows in flight and the sixth a blue tit busily hunting for food .

Hi Carol, Happy New Year to you too.
Understand well of the bliss of being in the garden with no traffic noise , only noise in my garden is birds .Yes a beautiful silence.
Live in a french village of nearly 2000 popul. and there are other villages right near by. The joy for me of the birds, the mountains beyond , the silence in my garden and not being overlooked by anyone , although there are other houses near, I love it. Even at the moment when cant get across the grass in my chair because have nearly 50 molehills! After living in a Sussex town with noise especially from neighbours and traffic, so much traffic ! Its a dream sort of come true to be in such beautiful and peaceful surroundings , lived here since 1994 .
Within ten minutes of being up yesterday I had seen from kitchen door 10 blue tits , 2 great tits, 2 long tailed tits, 1 robin, 3 chaffinch all feeding at the feeders and on patio. Brenda

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back