• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (4 Viewers)

Happy New Year to all garden listers. Welcome back Sue! Here's my list for 2017, 29 so far:

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Blackbird
Meadow Pipit
Robin
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Rook
Dunnock
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Starling
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Redwing
Buzzard
Wood Pigeon
Magpie
Coal Tit
Kestrel
Jay
Song Thrush
Cormorant
B-h Gull
Raven
Grey Heron
Goldfinch
Feral Pigeon
Yellowhammer
Bullfinch

Seven I need amongst that lot! :t:

Yes - Yellowhammer - Raven is easy enough here.

After three days of work I'm now off - and the rain is hammering down!

I'm definitely losing it, I thought it was Ken's unlikely species we were talking about - must up my coffee intake to get the brain working in the morning!

Morning all,
Snow overnight, but not a lot. More birds dashing about though, one decided to fly into our kitchen window and lay prostrate on the bench below, I picked it up and cuddled it in my jacket for 5 minutes and it seemed OK, but on release it promptly stuck itself to the house,(see photo, itobviously decided it was too cold!). So I popped it in my wooly hat for 10 minutes inside before going trying again. Happy ending, this time it had a quick look around and flew off to the nearest tree
(Thinks........ must check inside the hat before I next put it on in case I've received a present :eek!:).

28 Great spotted Woodpecker
29 (Eurasian) Treecreeper
30 Bullfinch

Richard, do you have Short-toed T´s there or are you too high?

Meanwhile in Finland. We got ~10 cm of snow and some "proper" temperatures (-25 C degrees last Thursday - Friday).

#6 Greenfinch
#7 Blackbird
#8 Magpie
#9 Feral Pigeon
#10 Chaffinch - Not normal winterbird here. I saw this old male 5 times under my feeder at a weekend.
#11 Great Spotted Woodpecker
#12 Bullfinch
#13 Common Redpoll

Richard, do you have Short-toed T´s there or are you too high?

ll

We haven't lived here through a spring/summer yet but I doubt
whether we'll get S t Treecreeper this high. We're at exactly 1000m
and I've never seen one above 900(and that was in a sunny place overlooking Geneva with all that lovely warm polluted air to make it feel warm;)

Very notable by their absence, Marsh and Willow Tits ...hope the shrike hasn't nobbled them all!

Fortunately the shrike hasn't got them all - Marsh and Willow Tit today, plus Bullfinch and Long-tailed Tit. Takes me up to fourteen ...other than a couple of corvids, probably not that many more before the spring now.

11. Marsh Tit
12. Willow Tit
13. Long-tailed Tit
14. Bullfinch

Well the rain stopped at 2pm and the birds came out.

A flock of Long-tailed Tits brought a Coal Tit - the first this year.
A Goldcrest earlier and a flyover Herring Gull then two

WAXWINGS (42)

flew right by !!!

Mega!

A little progress over the weekend...

Firstly on Saturday morning, a single

14. Feral pigeon

came down to compete with the Woodpigeon for the seed-mix I'd scattered on the lawn.

Then, Saturday afternoon, as I toiled to take down the kids' rusty old trampoline:

15. Goldfinch - quite a substantial flock flew over (maybe 25-30 birds)
16. Chaffinch - a single male called in on the garden feeders

Finally, Sunday morning (as I continued to toil on the trampoline!), I was serenaded by an excitable

17. Goldcrest

Taking down the trampoline? Shurely shome mishtake, you can't bounce on it anymore to see those more distant fly-bys now (when I lived on the Sussex coast I was climbing onto the kids' slide in the garden long after they'd outgrown it, added Manx Shearwater and Common Scoter thanks to the lofty viewpoint it provided)!

H!... The Garden Forum police...have you down as 41 so far! (a double count for Redwing) and an additional error for tother?....LGRE is looking into it now.:-O

When we viewed our current house, I could see more of the adjacent rhine and had Red-crested Pochard and Redshank. Over the last 19 years, the adjacent vegetation has grown up so only a few yards are now visible but on that bit this morning:-

24. Mute Swan (first-winter)

All the best

A spot of late afternoon sky-perusing, 2 Green Woodpecker over, and managed to get the Water Rail on the house window list.

Two additions -

34) Starling
35) Great Spotted Woodpecker

Have you counted right, Ken?

Herring Gull, Goldcrest, Coal Tit, Waxwing & Goosanders today.

Edit : yes , counted Redwing twice.

Back to 42.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back