• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (4 Viewers)

Have you counted right, Ken?

Herring Gull, Goldcrest, Coal Tit, Waxwing & Goosanders today.

Edit : yes , counted Redwing twice.

Back to 42.

You're probably right H!....I just didn't want you to get ahead of yourself....just yet. ;)

An interesting early morning today, with the Bramblings reversing their evening movements down the valley - I suspect they are roosting in nearby pine plantations and going out to feed in the valley woods - with one dropping in nearby - not visible but calling.

Other early birds included a Buzzard and a Goosander, and an interesting flock in poor light that passed too quickly to identify - but looked like they could have been Waxwing - c.10!

And the only new year bird was a single

43: Great black-backed Gull

Washing up at the sink am...looked up, over the house going West, in nanosecond correction order large gull, bop, accipter then disappeared over forest canopy, kinda knew what it was, but defaulted to size illusion, due to just a few seconds on something rapidly foreshortening as it vanished over tree tops.

Much chagrined, ascended the stairs with tea for the "missis", strolled up to said window and looked out, within several minutes a flock of finches and Redwing " hit the air" from the canopy, then c150m out from right to left, a long tailed bulky bop, appearing and disappearing through the tree tops, unequivocal....I suspect a female, however gentilis it was. no.44.

An interesting early morning today, with the Bramblings reversing their evening movements down the valley - I suspect they are roosting in nearby pine plantations and going out to feed in the valley woods - with one dropping in nearby - not visible but calling.

Other early birds included a Buzzard and a Goosander, and an interesting flock in poor light that passed too quickly to identify - but looked like they could have been Waxwing - c.10!

And the only new year bird was a single

43: Great black-backed Gull

A colleague rang me to say that there are Bramblings in the forest perhaps 4 miles away....I've got everything x'd, although no guarantees. Depending on the weather, I might be up this weekend....however if it's severe! (beer freezing over), I might take a rain cheque. ;)

Last edited:
Yes - Yellowhammer - Raven is easy enough here.

After three days of work I'm now off - and the rain is hammering down!

Yellowhammer scarce in Yorkshire? Maybe too many sheep?

Thre more:
30) Teal (unusual to get this before Mallard)
31) Fieldfare
32) Herring Gull

Left home before dawn and got home after dark, but still managed a new one (heard only), a species that will be a life tick when I finally get to see one:

31 Tengmalm's Owl

I've found the trees nearby where I can see evidence of Black Woodpecker nesting, Tengmalm's are known to use the cavities they've excavated, so here's hoping!!

Last edited:
Thanks H, careful crossing those Penninesthen. Here it's the calm before the(snow)storm forecast tonight, time to 'batten down the nuthatches' I suppose;)

Snowing and subzero - male Sparrowhawk attacking the feeders, assorted corvids added to the year list

15. Sparrowhawk
16. Magpie
17. Hooded Crow
18. Raven

Left home before dawn and got home after dark, but still managed a new one (heard only), a species that will be a life tick when I finally get to see one:

31 Tengmalm's Owl

I've found the trees nearby where I can see evidence of Black Woodpecker nesting, Tengmalm's are known to use the cavities they've excavated, so here's hoping!!

Just looked them up as I haven't heard of them. Known as Boreal owls over here, they get seen roundabout here but would be a lifer for me too. Good luck! Lovely bird to see.

31 Tengmalm's Owl

A fantastic bird Richard...never seen/heard however I live in hope, very little chance in the UK...will have to travel. Impaling apples to my Pyrracanthea at 7.45am (half light), looked up to see 4 closely spaced UFD's! Not any of the regular ducks...certainly a year tick, if not garden, will have to be a sp I'm afraid. :-C

Which duck species have you already got on your garden list there Ken?

One more to add up here:

32 Green Woodpecker

yaffling away nearby yesterday.

A small of flock of

45: Lapwing

past, over the snowy landscape - a lovely bright morning here.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back