• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (5 Viewers)

Which duck species have you already got on your garden list there Ken?

One more to add up here:

32 Green Woodpecker

yaffling away nearby yesterday.

I assume you mean for the "in total" grdn.list?...Mallard, Tufted, Mandarin, Shoveler, Goldeneye, Goosander, Teal, Shelduck, Gadwall and Red-crested Pochard....Goldeneye, Shelduck and RCPochard just one of each in 34 years!

I suppose Wigeon or even C.Scoter might be a consideration? I live equa-distant between two lakes mile either way, and perhaps two miles from the Lee Valley reservoirs.

As you well know Richard no two years are the same, two years ago Tufted was the most frequent flyover duck, last year just 3 records. Mandarin by far is the most frequent, mostly at dusk.

Cheers

Last edited:
A small of flock of

45: Lapwing

past, over the snowy landscape - a lovely bright morning here.

:-C

Been lively this am...a 2nd Peregrine for the year overhead, and 13 RNP's, 6 Siskin and an "all pink" Legret "washed" by a very low morning sun..if only it hadn't dipped behind the trees as I raised the camera. :-C

Green Woodpecker here too this morning and a male Sparrowhawk has just taken a Starling. He's enjoying his lunch on top of the hedge now.
Thats Nos. 33 & 34.

Left home before dawn and got home after dark, but still managed a new one (heard only), a species that will be a life tick when I finally get to see one:

31 Tengmalm's Owl

I've found the trees nearby where I can see evidence of Black Woodpecker nesting, Tengmalm's are known to use the cavities they've excavated, so here's hoping!!

o:):t:

Circa mid-day 5 Legrets passed (a record), only 4 RNP's, 4 Siskin, a Song Thrush...a Chaffinch...flyover Peregrine (my 3rd in a week...unprecedented!), and a ''yo-yo-ing''bouncy flock of Redpoll briefly landing in the trees outback. no.45.

Are Greenfinches numerous at your abode Brenda? as they're not at my end...?

Nor here - 4 today was a good number.

Before the rain started the local

46: Song Thrush

was singing nearby, and, as I listened, a pair of

47:Reed Buntings

flew past and landed nearby - a twice year phenomenon here, so pleased with that.

Are Greenfinches numerous at your abode Brenda? as they're not at my end...?[/QUOTE

Usually there are quite a few here in January and several of those stay some months but at moment there is only one!
Almost every year since I've lived here have seen loads of chaffinch , bramblings greenfinches etc as they stop off here awhile when migrating. I'm not sure where they go on to from here. They usually arrive here the very first days of january.
Much of France same as most of Europe has had very cold and severe weather . I think thats what has stopped them flying across France, perhaps they took a different route or got stuck in northern France where its been very bad.

Hi halftwo this one is in reply to you .Sorry I couldnt get it to add the quote for some reason, my fault! Have you got snow today now where you live ?

Usually there are quite a few here in January and several of those stay some months but at moment there is only one!
Almost every year since I've lived here have seen loads of chaffinch , bramblings greenfinches etc as they stop off here awhile when migrating. I'm not sure where they go on to from here. They usually arrive here the very first days of january.
Much of France same as most of Europe has had very cold and severe weather . I think thats what has stopped them flying across France, perhaps they took a different route or got stuck in northern France where its been very bad.

Last edited:
Seen in the garden now from kitchen window. Over 35 house sparrows , 1 greenfinch , 2 chaffinch , 2 blue tits, 3 great tits , 6 longtailed tits ,3 blackbirds , 2 magpies , 2 collared doves , 2 robins , 1dunnock, 1 song thursh and 2 red kites above.

Ooh, that's five species I've not seen here so far this year. Like Brenda, we had just the single Greenfinch for the first two weeks, but the weekend's snowfall (45 cms under the feeder) and now the cold, has produced a dramatic increase, around 25 each of Greenfinch, Goldfinch and Chaffinch going through the food at a rate of knots, 5 Yellowhammer and a male Brambling adding to the colour.
One new species, I was wondering where they'd gone as they were present all through December:

33 Crested Tit

Nor here - 4 today was a good number.

Before the rain started the local

46: Song Thrush

was singing nearby, and, as I listened, a pair of

47:Reed Buntings

flew past and landed nearby - a twice year phenomenon here, so pleased with that.

It's been many a year since the last one. :-C

Richard Prior . Do you think because of the very recent severe weather in several parts of France and Europe its delayed some migrating birds from coming through this way? Will they still come or will they stay where they have got to ?
Stayed mild here until begining of december and as you will know there was almost no snow on the Pyrenees but thats all changed in the last week and more today .Luckily not here where I live its just very cold some days and wet today but need that been very dry.

Hit double figures at last with a brief visit from 10. Northern Shrike. Cracking bird as always, although don't think the rest of the garden visitors agree!

The storms over the weekend pushed a few things down my way but the real highlight was probably the 2 Mute Swans today, only my 3rd record in 5 years here!

36 Velvet Scoter
37 Gadwall
38 Turnstone
39 Glaucous Gull
40 Great Northern Diver
41 Pink-footed Goose
42 Lesser Black-backed Gull
43 Iceland Gull
44 Fulmar
45 Stonechat
46 Mute Swan
47 Carrion Crow
48 Jackdaw
49 Greenfinch
50 Great Tit
51 Rook
52 Pied wagtail
53 goldfinch
54 Wren

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back