• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (4 Viewers)

I see Jasperpatch is going for quality rather than quantity so far;).

Plenty of winter thrushes here too, 7 redwing and a fieldfare today but a shortage of finches. Not had a siskin or redpoll yet and only a single brambling on new years day. Chaffinch, greenfinch and goldfinch are also down to single figure counts and no bullfinch yet. Just 1 or 2 tree sparrows too although house sparrows are doing well.

I've added 2 more to my list with the largest so far with
35 Grey Heron and the smallest with
36 Goldcrest.

Number 26 today was Common Buzzard.

The interesting species from the rhine adjacent to my house are stubbornly staying on the far side of the motorway in the main. This includes the Somerset-bred first-winter Great White Egret ('AAF') which reappeared today in the cold snap. It could do the decent thing and give me a fly past at some point!

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Great Egret 03 reduced (17.01.17).jpg
    Great Egret 03 reduced (17.01.17).jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 34
A few more to add for me:

33) Canada Goose
34) Pheasant
35) Little Egret
, this is a surprise; only a few ever and this one was clearly on the move, flew over SW to escape the cold probably.
36) Green Woodpecker
37) Goldcrest
, heard this morning. Missed it last year.

One to add:

#14. Pheasant - one female, the first one in whole winter.

also Saturday I watch 4 (2+2) Chaffinches in my feeder. Thats biggest number of them in wintertime.

Frost and fog today, thought it might produce something, however the composition of birds was much the same as of late, albeit a visiting Muntjac toying with the fallen apples was a lift. Went out did some shopping, and upon returning heard a pure "hweet" call several times, never saw the culprit...will have to ascribe it to a rogue Grt.Tit. However whilst looking for the aforementioned.....out popped a Goldcrest. no.48.

I was surprised when I opened the door this morning to the sight of a male Blackcap eating berries of the bush in my small garden.

Size can be of little consequence Paul.....I regularly (during passage periods) bird very small gardens, one in particularly isolated (central London), c15' x7' shrub layer no taller than 8', surrounded by sidewalk, high rise and a few trees. One morning 6 Common Whitethroat! another morning Sedge and Reed Warbler, then Chiff Chaff and Blackcap.....but you've gotta be patient. 👍

A fabulous morning today!

In the space of less than thirty seconds the following occurred:

A strangely-coloured feral pigeon caught my eye flying down the valley, shortly followed by a pair of Goosanders. Then, close on their tails a

52: DIPPER

followed at quite some height - putting it almost at eye level from my viewing position (this only the second time I've seen a Dipper fly at any height).

Then, just as I was relating this fabulous sight to Mrs.H, a flock of Waxwing flew past close by!! (This possibly the same flock that passed the other day?)

In the space of less than thirty seconds the following occurred:

A strangely-coloured feral pigeon caught my eye flying down the valley, shortly followed by a pair of Goosanders. Then, close on their tails a

followed at quite some height - putting it almost at eye level from my viewing position (this only the second time I've seen a Dipper fly at any height).

Then, just as I was relating this fabulous sight to Mrs.H, a flock of Waxwing flew past close by!! (This possibly the same flock that passed the other day?)

A real ''Gripper'' with the Dipper H!....I'm confident I'll not see one of those. :-C

Well done Lazza and H2 on your Waxwings :t:, hoping to see some when we visit England next week!

Thanks! They've been returning to my neighbours garden on-and-off for about a week. Up to 30 there on Saturday, when I was away from home, but [gritted teeth]she kindly sent me a photo taken from her kitchen window[/gritted teeth]. Good luck with your own attempts - it's been a very good year for them!

Anyway, another species added yesterday:

19. Pink-footed goose (c45 over)

I'll never get that! But a few more:

38) Greylag Goose
39) Long-tailed Tit
40) Wren

I'm envious of those who get winter Blackcaps. Despite having old ivy festooned with berries and living in the south of England, I've never had one.

I'll never get that! But a few more:

38) Greylag Goose
39) Long-tailed Tit
40) Wren

I'm envious of those who get winter Blackcaps. Despite having old ivy festooned with berries and living in the south of England, I've never had one.

Too cold ''out in the sticks''.....they prefer townies. ;)

Attachments

• P1420326.jpeg  Blckp. 2..jpeg
    P1420326.jpeg Blckp. 2..jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 57
  • P1420494.jpeg  Blckcp. 3..jpeg
    P1420494.jpeg Blckcp. 3..jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 50
I'm a beginner and have a small garden but I've been wanting to do this

1. Blue Tit
2. Great Tit
3. Robin
4. Wren
5. Carrion Crow
6. Dunnock
7. Grey Heron
8. Long-tailed Tit
9. Woodpigeon
10. Blackbird

Thanks! They've been returning to my neighbours garden on-and-off for about a week. Up to 30 there on Saturday, when I was away from home, but [gritted teeth]she kindly sent me a photo taken from her kitchen window[/gritted teeth]. Good luck with your own attempts - it's been a very good year for them!

Anyway, another species added yesterday:

19. Pink-footed goose (c45 over)

Haha! At last, garden waxwings photo :t:

And fortunately, they managed to avoid species 20 in the list...

20. Sparrowhawk

Attachments

• waxwings2.jpg
    waxwings2.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 57
  • waxwings1.jpg
    waxwings1.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back