• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (4 Viewers)

I'm a beginner and have a small garden but I've been wanting to do this

1. Blue Tit
2. Great Tit
3. Robin
4. Wren
5. Carrion Crow
6. Dunnock
7. Grey Heron
8. Long-tailed Tit
9. Woodpigeon
10. Blackbird

Good luck! (Once you start doing this, it's quite difficult to stop, but you'll be amazed what passes through from time to time, even in a small garden, if you just take notice :))

I'm a beginner and have a small garden but I've been wanting to do this

1. Blue Tit
2. Great Tit
3. Robin
4. Wren
5. Carrion Crow
6. Dunnock
7. Grey Heron
8. Long-tailed Tit
9. Woodpigeon
10. Blackbird

Hello . I'm not an expert by any means at all and you probably know more about birds than I do! Love seeing the birds in and above my garden every day ,have very often had to look on internet or ask someone on here
the name of a bird.

Every Dog Has Its Day

From my landing, I can see through some trees to a small bit of water visible in the rhine alongside my house and the field opposite. When I lifted the blind this morning, it had come to pass and our local Great White Egret was on the bank. I legged it downstairs and grabbed my camera rather than my bins and by the time I returned, it had just walked out of sight. A crack with the manual focus just about proved it was the same first-winter AAF through a gap in the vegetation. When I legged it to the bridge for a better view, it had already disappeared. Returning home, the same field produced a Grey Heron. The Egret was soon several hundred metres downstream where I saw it again near the motorway and then later it was in its usual place on the far side of the motorway some two hours after the initial sighting....

Otherwise a male Peregrine spooked everything with a flyover and in the afternoon, a group of five Redwings and a fly through from the local Raven pair was welcome.

The rhine itself held 9 Goosander - 3 males & 6 red heads.

27. Great White Egret
28. Grey Heron
29. Peregrine
30. Redwing
31. Raven

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Morning View.jpg
    Morning View.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Great Egret (reduced).jpg
    Great Egret (reduced).jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Grey Heron (reduced).jpg
    Grey Heron (reduced).jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Common Merganser 01 (reduced).jpg
    Common Merganser 01 (reduced).jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Common Merganser 02 (reduced).jpg
    Common Merganser 02 (reduced).jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 58
From my landing, I can see through some trees to a small bit of water visible in the rhine alongside my house and the field opposite. When I lifted the blind this morning, it had come to pass and our local Great White Egret was on the bank.

Definitely contender for rarity of the month ...

Nice one!

Cheers Dan. I'm always astonished by the variety of birds that people pick up on here on their garden lists. I suppose that I just don't spend that much time at home. Over the years I've been here the views have certainly got more restricted so this morning's experience was decidedly unexpected!

All the best

Nice bit of countryside on view from the window too :t:

Jos

It has kept me entertained for the best part of two decades but sadly the attachment is typical of the last two years. More and more of the trees have been felled and hedgerows disappearing in favour of fencelines. I have not seen any Small Eggar (moth) nests for at least two years. :-C

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Patch & Brunnich's - early 2014 703.JPG
    Patch & Brunnich's - early 2014 703.JPG
    585.5 KB · Views: 77
Jos

It has kept me entertained for the best part of two decades but sadly the attachment is typical of the last two years.

Is that cut to allow the dredging/digging of that ditch, ie will be allowed to grow, or permanent, ie regrowth will also be cut as it appears? Severe in both cases it seems, but I suppose the second rather less so.

This morning have over thirty chaffinch plus four greenfinches up in the big old oak. Not sure if the finches etc are migrating through here later than usual and if its the start of them or whether they came through a little bit further over to the west of here and I am seeing just a few of them . Time will tell!

Is that cut to allow the dredging/digging of that ditch, ie will be allowed to grow, or permanent, ie regrowth will also be cut as it appears? Severe in both cases it seems, but I suppose the second rather less so.

Jos

Time will tell I suppose.

That was just an example photo that was handy on my computer. It is gradually being undertaken throughout the area.

I have little doubt that what I have been seeing over the last few years has been dressed up under necessary dredging/digging ditches - with which no one can really complain - but it is taking place with such vehemence that I am seeing avenues of quite matures trees with trunks of say two feet width being taken out (presumably to prevent the need for future 'maintenance').

All the best

Sitting down with a cuppa, having been out in the damp wood for 2 hours, then 3 Mallard low over the roof, quickly followed by ...3 Egyptian Geese (only the 2nd occurrence I believe?). No.50.

Sitting down with a cuppa, having been out in the damp wood for 2 hours, then 3 Mallard low over the roof, quickly followed by ...3 Egyptian Geese (only the 2nd occurrence I believe?). No.50.

Snapping at my heals again, Ken!

Yet again, you two are racing ahead of me.:eek!:

I have though, had a rather nice flock of Meadow Pipits, up to 40, hanging around all month.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back