• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photoshop book? (1 Viewer)

Cheers, the problem is there are so many different books sometimes its nice to get a recomendation so you know what is good or not. (I hate wasting money)

The only book I saw that dealt with PS in depth cost about 75 quid!. I've just learned the hard way!

Al

Damn, and you can get unix for dummies for less than half that, you'd think there would be cheaper books than that for such a popular photo editing program

The problem is that there are so many different versions of PS, though much is shared between all the versions.
Try to find one that has the emphasis on photography rather than graphic design.
My own favourite is Katrin Eismann's Photoshop Restoration & Retouching, though made with PS6.0 in mind, much of it is relevant to Elements (espescially Elements 2).
Andy

Ashley,

I can recommend "Adobe Photoshop 6.0 for Photographers"
by Martin Evening inc CD.

This is an excellent book for anyone looking to improve there skills. It's about £26.

I've got one called The Complete Adobe Photoshop Handbook,covers Photoshop 5.5 to Photoshop 7.It's from the makers of Computer Arts magazine.I got mine from W.H.Smiths price £12.99

Geoff :t:

Hi Ashley,

I'm more a photografer the a birder an I'm quite new here, but I would recomend you Katrin Eismann's Photoshop Restoration & Retouching too. It shows you diffrent ways to the same goal.
Regards Christoph

Hi Ashley My pennyworth,
I found 'Fundamental Photoshop' very good mine was version 4 but I'm sure there will be a 6 and 7 maybe even Elements
I still use it along with the Photoshop 6 Manual
Regards Stan

Just to add my pennyworth: May I put in a word for Paint Shop Pro which costs a fraction of the price of Photoshop and will do everything you want to do. I have been using it for various purposes for several years.
Another magazine is Digital Photo which I have been taking regularly for nearly a year. A slip up on the part of my local newagent allowed me to make a single comparision with Digital Photography. It may not be a fair comparison but I preferred my regular magazine. However, even in Digital Photo, although some lip service is occasionally paid to the existence of PSP, its contributers are mainly Photoshop oriented.
Adobe seem to have the clout to push their product aggressively wherever possible and Photoshop certainly is regarded as the tops among professional photographers who can probably afford and justify the high price. But for the rest of us it is well worth a look at Paint Shop Pro. Version 7, currently available, costs £99, I think, and a trial version is downloadable. Version 8 is due out in June.

http://www.jasc.com/

I have also invested in Paint Shop Pro Photo Album which enables me to keep track of all my shots, both on the computer and on CD-ROM. That is also available as a trial version.

As for books on Paint Shop Pro, if you buy the packaged version it comes with a manual. SAMS do a 'Teach Yourself Paint Shop Pro 7 in 24 hours' by T.Michael Clark.

Oh! and there is a newsgroup:
comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro for discussion and help.

Hm. Perhaps that's more than just a penn' th.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back