Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

NIKON introduces new Monarch HG 8x30 and 10x30 Binoculars

Old Saturday 14th July 2018, 15:30   #51
bartd

I have been using Nikon's MONARCH HG 10x42 binos for over a year now. I think without a doubt they are the best bino's I own and that includes some Euro bino's that cost more than double. The clarity and low use make them perfect for my needs. It's great that Nikon has come out with a more compact version, the 8 and 10x30 models. I use the MONARCH 7 8x30's for scouting and preseason waterfowl identification. Easy to wear around your neck for hours. I keep the full-size bino's in a chest strap for ease of use and protection.
Old Sunday 15th July 2018, 07:03   #52
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Lee,

As a practical matter, if I were doing something like that on a regular basis I would not use any 8x30 or 8x32 binoculars which are very useful in closeup work in the canopy or while engaged in general birding.

I would use instead a high quality wide field 7x42 like Jerry Liguori recommends in his books: "Hawks at a Distance" and "Hawks at any Angle." The binoculars he has used since 1994 were the Zeiss 7x45 Night Owl and later the 7x42 Victory FL.

I'm sure that they would be just as advantageous while sweeping the sea for Otters, Seals, Loons or Whales from the land or from a boat. Their large exit pupils are very forgiving.

Bob
Absolutely agree about 7x. I have a MeoStar 7x42 which is not a fov-monster like an FL but has the extra depth of field and ease of eye-placement to which you refer. But I do like the compact form of a 30/32mm on some days especially when carrying a lot of photo gear/tripod.

Lee
Old Wednesday 18th July 2018, 06:14   #53
aCuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Bob is right here. The fov difference is insignificant. Lee make the point about a 19% increase in viewing area, but that too is, as a practical matter...insignificant. That is my opinion. What is factored out in fov discussions is that while we can change magnifications, fov width, coatings and other things, we are stuck with our narrow focus human vision. Give that same human vision a 19% larger area, you simply are adding a larger area for our narrow vision, central focused vision at that, to contend with. This, again in my opinion, causes observers to rely more on the fov of the binocular and far too little on our own eyes, which are what should be getting ti most use in a birding situation. There is certainly some advantage to adding peripheral vision,m but those who seem to feel they can dart their eyes to the edge are simply exposing various aberrations that are caused by off axis viewing that were never intended to be tin the center field in the first place. Plus that edge darting seems a splendid way to create eye strain. It is very hard to actually look at the edge of the fov.
Humans have an approximately ~120 degree field of vision in the horizontal axis, and I would have to agree that binoculars having a AFOV in excess of human FOV would be "insignificant"

Of this ~120 degrees, the central ~60 degrees is "binocular vision" while the outer ~30 degrees on both sides only seen by one eye would be "peripheral vision". The specific angle would vary from person to person.

The amount of vision we actively use also varies between people. It is said that to play certain sports (football perhaps?) at the highest level you would need to make full use of your peripheral vision.

Differences between individuals is probably why some people value having high FOVs in binoculars more than others... I would like as much AFOV as I can get!

Last edited by aCuria : Wednesday 18th July 2018 at 06:19.
Old Wednesday 18th July 2018, 07:40   #54
Troubador

Field of view is important for some of my activities but it is not the only factor. We have been using Leica Trinovid HD 8x32 for several days on North Uist because although their fov is modest at 124m it has a close focus of only 1 metre and that suited our needs on those days. Today I am using a wider fov to watch a mother and young Otter as they dive and disappear, then re-surface. The wider fov just makes re-finding them a little bit easier although just at the moment the naked eye is good enough for this as there is no wind and the water is flat calm. Later today when the water is choppy the wider fov will be more important.

Lee
Old Wednesday 18th July 2018, 09:43   #55
dalat

A wide field is always nice to have (the image just looks bigger and thus more close to our natural wide angle view). But I find it most useful in forests when following warblers or other small birds in dense vegetation, where you are never sure where exactly they reappear. Prime example are bird waves in in tropical forests, where a wide view just helps you to detect more movement and find more birds.

Ok, but back to the Monarch! It has hit the shelves now, at least some retailers show it in stock. Can someone please buy it and tell us all about it?
Old Wednesday 18th July 2018, 15:54   #56
zzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalat View Post
Ok, but back to the Monarch! It has hit the shelves now, at least some retailers show it in stock. Can someone please buy it and tell us all about it?
Someone posted this on another forum. Google translated.

https://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/...891#msg-440891

Thank you for the many tips and useful hints. I took a closer look at two glasses, the Zeiss Conquest 10x32 and the Nikon Monarch 10x30 HG. At first I had problems with shadowing at the beginning. From Zeiss I got a couple of alternative eyecups sent. I screwed these up; but I can not say that they are longer. Nevertheless, the problems have settled, probably simply because I got used to the glass and now it automatically holds better. I am thrilled by the sharpness of the glass. If I have focused exactly, a very nice spatial picture is created. Compared to the Nikon, the picture is a little bit darker, but also more contrast. I also like the picture of the Nikon. Sharpness is not a problem (although it can not compete with the Zeiss). Overall, the picture looks a little brighter and "sweeter". This also probably contributes to the fact that it is very spacious. However, I do not get along with the Nikon at all, as far as shading is concerned. I have to hold the glass so that it may even have 1-2 mm distance to the eyebrows, otherwise I see constantly black edges and stains, ie I can not really do it at all, but must keep it "floating" in front of the eyes. Why is that, I can not say, I just realize that the eyecups are somehow too short for me. That's why I'll send it back. Whether I would have preferred it to the Zeiss, if I did not have this problem, I can not say. It's of course wonderfully small and compact, the covers fit perfectly, and it makes a pretty sturdy and waterproof impression, making it ideal for hikes. Nevertheless, the Zeiss has struck me with its sharp and spatial image in its spel

Last edited by zzzzzz : Wednesday 18th July 2018 at 16:00.
Old Wednesday 18th July 2018, 19:45   #57
dalat

Thanks a lot, indeed someone who had it in hand. I understand he ordered it directly from Nikon.

What he says about eyecups is probably personal, but he also said it was sharp, but less than the Zeiss Conquest HD...

Ok, I guess we need a couple of more impressions :)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: