• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bulgarian wind farm e-petition (1 Viewer)

Grando

Hi,

Just to let you all know that the BirdLife International partner in Bulgaria, BSPB, has an online petition to register support against the siting of a new wind farm in the middle of a migration bottleneck.

You can find further background information and a get to the petition from a link on a page on the BirdLife International website at:

http://www.birdlife.org/action/campaigns/iba_campaign/help/balchik.html

Briefly, although BirdLife supports the sustainable development of renewable energy such as wind power because it helps mitigate climate change, evidence based on multiple cases of inappropriately positioned wind farms suggests they can lead to significant bird mortality. In Balchik's case, around 87,000 storks pass through annually on migration, as well as many other thousands of birds.

Anyway, please take a look at the web page and register your support if you feel this proposed wind farm is ill-conceived and will have a detrimental effect on the area's birdlife.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed Parnell
BirdLife International

Last edited:
Hi Michael,

Realised that just after I'd posted it - but as you say, can't hurt to highlight the issue again!

Cheers,

Ed

Well, I for one missed it first time round, so thanks for the heads up, Ed.

I'll go and do my bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back