• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Bird Species Mata Atlantica (1 Viewer)

Could it maybe be a Black-throated Saltator?

I can't make it one. I am almost wondering if somebody didn't just paint this bird and release it just to make people go nuts. The rump, the crissum, the belly, appear to be red. There appears to be a rather consistent whitish pectoral band. There appears to be a tuft-like feather formation between the eyes giving the idea that the bird almost has forward-facing eyes...

An enormously out-of-range immature male Periporphyrus (discounting the white pectoral band as being an artefact)?

I clicked on the thread title out of curiosity because I didn't where Mata atlantica was (I still don't btw).
About this bird ID I don't have a clue but I can tell you that the white pectroral is an artefact for sure. It is an out of focus twig (or something similar) caught in between the bird and the photographer. For instance you can still see the whitish hue cast on the dead leaves in the alignement of the fake 'pectoral band'.

First thought was "Tanager", but I've been and had a trawl and I can't find anything that remotely fits. I shall watch this with interest, and in the event of a brainwave may even contribute again!

Cheers

James

On close look the white band is definitely a line of out-of-focus light coloured objects in the extreme foreground. Looks like there are three of them, whatever they are.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back