• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where are the best canopy towers for birding (1 Viewer)

Hi All,

First time poster here... Just curious, where are the most productive birding canopy towers in the world-- anywhere. Trying to formulate a next trip. Kids are about grown, time to think about getting out again.

I enjoyed the one at Sacha Lodge on a trip to Ecuador back in '97. Where can I find others? And are they usually connected to a private lodge?

Thanks,

CFW

Welcome to BirdForum. I'm trying to think of the best ones I've been to. Cristalino in Brazil is good. Also the one on Pipeline Trail in Gamboa, Panama.

The canopy walkway and towers at Rainforest Discovery Centre at Sepilok in Sabah are pretty good, and aren't connected with a private lodge. There's a small entrance fee. They can get a little busy with tourists.

(own experience): La Selva, Ecuador (very good in terms of activity, stability). Amazon Manu Lodge, Peru (very good for activity, a bit less stabil). Kakum Canopy walkway, Ghana (very good for activity, stability). Danum Valley Field Centre, Sabah (the trickiest one to climb... quite foggy but still OK for activity). Floresta Nacional do Tapajos, Brazil (good in terms of activity, very nice location, good stability).

others to consider: around Manaus, Canopy Panama (google it), allmost all Napo lodges in Ecuador, Borneo rainforest lodge (a walkway),...

One example of a walkway / tower I didn't do: the one at Taman Negara, as it only opens late (I though 8 or 9, way too late!),

Overall, yes, I have seen some good birds on canopy towers, but I would never design my birding trips based on sites having a tower. You generally need a tower only for a small number of birds (and better looks at other birds), but in most habitats, a tower is not a necessity. I would rather look for a good vantage point, a good porch (on a slope or with 1st - 2nd floors with trees around), good hummer / banana / grain / ... feeders. Those are the things that can keep you busy for some days around a lodge, where you can enjoy neverending activity / taking pictures / ... A tower will deliver mostly in the mornings (and can be dead in the middle of the day), or when flocks pass by, or just by waiting for random birds flying by / moving through. Canopy tower birding is very much like migration counting. You have dull days and very good days, but you are static and have to do with whatever happens...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back